Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Brake problem - sinking pedal

Thanks Flag. Excellent website with lots of good explanations. I bookmarked it for future reference. The new booster did not come with a new valve. The valve is an inline valve in the middle of the vacuum line. I did however test it and it functions properly allowing air flow in only one...
  2. E

Replaced the brake booster out of desperation for a fix. Bled the crap out of the system again and tested. The brake pedal now goes all the way to the floor before engaging the brakes. Car stops with power assist but have to push it all the way down. Disconnected and plugged the vacuum line to...
  3. E

Thanks again, Flag. Ordered a new booster. Be here in a few days. Nobody local stocked it. Will post back with results.
  4. E

Thanks for the reply;) No, no change in engine speed or idle when brakes are applied. Also, forgot to mention, brakes don't pump up like they will do when there is air in the system. Occasionally pedal will go all the way down with no pressure until bottom of its travel, but will stop. Other...
  5. E

Explorer bit the dust. Have 2008 Merc Mariner. More action here than Escape forum. Brakes started sinking to the floor and not holding pressure when stopped. Seemed to be typical master cylinder failure. Replaced MC w/new Ford made MC, bench bled, installed and bled system. Pedal still sinks but...
  6. E

This fell off my truck. Anyone know what it is?

Looks like a piece of one of the exhaust hangers.
  7. E

Speed Sensor or Abs Sensor

Of the two, I'd think it was the speed sensor or the speedo itself - ABS sensors are not tied to the speedo and should have no effect on it.
  8. E

Sunvisor make-up lights

Wife has 08 Merc Mariner - the make-up mirror lights on the sunvisors have ceased to work - both sides. Don't see how to access bulbs and don't see any fuses listed for these on the owner's manual. Anyone know anything about these? Can bulbs be removed? Is there power to these or are they...
  9. E

Sunvisor make-up lights

Wife has 08 Merc Mariner - the make-up mirror lights on the sunvisors have ceased to work - both sides. Don't see how to access bulbs and don't see any fuses listed for these on the owner's manual. Anyone know anything about these? Can bulbs be removed? Is there power to these or are they...
  10. E

Adhesive removal

Mineral spirits
  11. E

97 Explorer Eddie Bauer AC Clutch not engaged

Check the gap at the clutch plate - shouldn't be more than a business card thickness - tap it with the A/C running and see if it engages. Just a thought
  12. E

2000 4.0 XLS Explorer - AC blows cold, then hot

Had a similar problem - turned out the A/C clutch gap had gotten too wide due to age and wear. Gap should be no more than about a business card. Next time it quits, tap the face of the clutch face with a hammer handle and see if it reengages.
  13. E

Escape torque converter lockup?

Thanks for the reply, Imp and Pop. Guess he'll be making a trip to the trans shop to get it checked out. We're three hours apart so hard to diagnose over the phone. EE
  14. E

Escape torque converter lockup?

My son's 2005 Escape appears to be having a problem with the torque conv. lockup being stuck. Car stalling when comes to a stop, but idles fine in park and neutral. Starting off like it's in high gear. Had this problem on another vehicle and was able to unplug the lockup solenoid for a temp...
  15. E

Air compressor 96 Ford Explorer

Replacing the compressor is a little more involved than just changing out the unit. There are other parts of the system that should be replaced, such as the accumulator & expansion tube. The system will need flushing and must be fully evacuated of air and moisture and A/C gauges are required to...
  16. E

A/C problems.

If you removed the bolt on the front of the clutch the faceplate will come off. Ease it off and mine had a factory spacer washer inside the little hub. I removed the spacer and reinstalled the face plate. Check the gap - should be about the thickness of a business card. You could use a smaller...
  17. E

Died While Driving, But Comes Back to Life

The fuel pressure shut off switch is located on the passenger side lower firewall just about where your toes would end up sitting there. Pull back the carpet and make sure the connection is good. Passenger knocked it loose once with their feet. Maybe you box hit it. EE
  18. E

Air conditioning running all the time.

Doesn't the A/C run in other settings also? I know it runs when set to defrost but should not run in heat or straight vent settings. EE
  19. E

A/C problems.

If you tap on the clutch faceplate will it engage? Could be too large an air gap between faceplate and coil due to wear (300K+). Gap should be about thickness of a business card. Just a shot in the dark but I had same symptoms and this was the problem. Hope this helps, EE
  20. E

A/c clutch disengages after running for a while

Kmax, I had the exact problem - turns out the air gap between the clutch plate and coil face had increased due to wear. Would work when cool but after the clutch heated up the coil would not pull the plate. Could lightly tap and clutch would engage. I removed the clutch face plate and removed...
  21. E

Lodged Portion of O-Tube?

You are correct, the line circled in the photo is a vacume line, not an A/C line. The orifice tube will be in the hard line coming out of the bottom of the evaporator. Whatever piece of the orifice that was left in the evap. tube needs to come out. Don't think that repair kit will solve your...
  22. E

The odometer doesn't work.

Pretty typical problem - probably the worm gear in the speedo that drives the odo and trip meter. Gear can be replaced ($), or get a used cluster/speedo from the junkyard and replace yours. Lots of threads on this if you search. Hope this helps, EE
  23. E

Crusie Control not working.recall done, all fuses good

Yes, pressing the clutch deactivates the CC and the light should go out. EE
  24. E

Overheating Engine

Is your sepentine belt still intact? Did you check the belt tensioner - known to break? Have you checked the CEL codes? EE
  25. E

Using two jackstands and one factory jack for tire rotation?

Typically radials are rotated front to back but leaving on the same side. Used to be a problem with changing the direction of rotation. (IDK) I usually jack up the rear on one side, put it on a stand and then jack up the front on the same side and swap tires. Reverse the process and repeat on...
Back