Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Cooling system question

220F isn't that bad in outside temps of 105. I wish I could tell you how hot I've got some of my cars at work. With the AC on it stresses the engine more, and you are loosing some of the cooling power if you will, because forced air in the front also has to cool down the condenser. If you...
  2. R

Is this normal?

The brakes will engage later as the truck gets older. I had this same issue with my truck but at the end of the day I don't drive it much and it still stops
  3. R

Overflowing coolant, Won't start

If you do get lucky and it is a bad thermostat I would do a whole coolant flush when you're done.
  4. R

Redneck 4wd repair/downgrade

Without knowing the exact conditions when you drove its hard to refute that, but the simply physics still hold. If your tires are slipping more torque isn't going to help. If they arn't slipping then then you still have room to apply more torque. That being said you must have had some great...
  5. R

Redneck 4wd repair/downgrade

In snow you need power & speed not torque. If your tires are already spinning on the snow what good will more torque do for you? Now if you want to whip the back end of the truck around low range is a whole lot of fun!
  6. R

grinding brakes/soft pedal

no no no. When you are bleeding your brakes if the master cylinder (really the resivour above it) goes empty then you are going to suck in more air to your lines. This bowl had to always have fluid in it. Which is why I said you may as well start over. My typical method is do 3-4 cycles...
  7. R

low oil pressure?

I had this same issue and actually had a shop check it out. I actually was running more pressure than the spec (2 or 3 psi over) so I ignored it and probably 6 months later the problem fixed itself. I wouldn't say ignore it completely but rather that the gauge might not be working properly.
  8. R

Liftgate problem

I had the same repair done, unfortunitally the damage was already done and the hinges are slightly bent and the liftgate leaks a little bit durring heavy rain. Sucks but the only way I know to fix it properly is to get new hinges, and I don't trust any from a junk yard.
  9. R

grinding brakes/soft pedal

If when you are bleeding your brakes the master cylinder goes empty you may as well just start over. That seems to be your first problem. As far as the grinding noise I'd be willing to bet that it is because everything is new and hasn't had time to self adjust,, and break in. In the rear you...
  10. R

The front brakes pull to the right after a rebuild.

Could be a problem in the individual lines not being properly bled, but I would suspect the pad is still contaminated
  11. R

Is it possible to rollstart a 5-speed Explorer?

Carboration and mechanical fuel pump = very bad idea. I don't know if you've ever dealt with a carborated car but they are a pain in the a$$. Try taking a turn at a decent speed, body roll alone will cause the engine to stutter. Don't even get me started on how incredibly inefficient...
  12. R

No Reverse - Can the tranfer case cause this?

The transfer case should have nothing to do with this. At a high level all a tranfer case does is put a gear on the end of the trans. Longitudionally thru the T-case the driveshaft is directly coonnected. On the gear there is a chain to another gear. This additional gear is connected to the...
  13. R

probable cause for intense wobble during braking and turning?

I would also suspect bad ball joints and/or radius arm bushings. Go get an inspection
  14. R

Vibration above 65 mph

My X does this too, and I've heard a lot of other people having the same issue. For me the shaking does away at about 70/72. I drive at 75 so I usually don't notice it. I think in most cases it is a combination of part wear and the natural frequency of the vehicle when those parts wear. (For...
  15. R

So the tranny went

Just RTV that ****. haha serisouly good luck. I'll do every modification/repair on my truck myself except that trans. I have this perpetual hatred of transmissions, so for me I just replace the whole thing, or pay someone else to re-build it. I commend you
  16. R

Can I hook fuel pump up direct? Permanently?

Yes exactly. The pump shuts off when the pressure has reached a certain point and will turn back on when it falls below a different point. This is essentially done to reduce the duty cycle on the pump. It has 1 speed, on, but you don't use the same amount of full in idle as you do cruising...
  17. R

clunk in front end under somewhat heavy braking

I'd check your ball joints too. If it is the ball joints you'll want to replace them asap. Might not hurt to have a buddy in the car and lean out the window and try to locate where the sound is coming from.
  18. R

low range on a 94 XLT

As a friendly FYI a lot of things like that are in the owners manual. That book has a suprising amount of information in it.
  19. R

94 XLT, need to know about front bearings/hubs

Its not really that easy, quite a bit of labor. I would suggest that you go buy a Chilton or Haynes repair manual. They are pretty good for the X, and many of the prodecures are generic for most any car. (replacing brake drums for example) Depending on what you see in the manual and your...
  20. R

bad PCM?

What makes you think your PCM is bad?
  21. R

delayed shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear

It should be fine to drive on. The engine might not like it, and your gas millage will suck but you should be ok
  22. R

Best tips for better gas mileage

Tire pressure is the easiest thing to change and its free. Check the max inflation your tires can handle. There are two main ways you drive, one is accelerating, and the other is cruising. The way to get better gas millage accelerating is to lower weight, and have less rolling...
  23. R

Can I hook fuel pump up direct? Permanently?

I wouldn't hard wire the pump to always be on. You'll burn it up, especially idling in traffic. I haven't looked at the relay in a while but I believe it is a double throw, and the low current coil probably doesn't need much more than 8V to activate (or less). Make sure the contacts are good...
  24. R

overheating...or temp guage problem. 1994 X

maybe a stupid question was the the coolant res. bottle and rad filled when you started? Wouldn't surprise me if you started out a little low on coolant.
  25. R

Kickdown issue

Your trans might be slipping. That could make it feel like it isn't downshifting enough. What is the millage on the trans?
Back