Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

All doors won't lock or unlock using keypad or remote orbutton

I pulled the boot back and tugged on each wire in both directions. None gave way. I have previously repaired two wires on there and their repairs are still good. Still the same symptoms as in the thread title. I may not have noticed it before but the door ajar indicator is on and with the key...
  2. G

I thought so too. I've had broken wires in the boot in the past and fixed them. The fact that the panic button didn't work didn't seem related to a broken wire.
  3. G

Hello all. My Explorer's doors won't lock or unlock whether I use the remote or the door button or the keypad. Changed the battery on the remote but still can't get any doors to unlock or lock. Even the panic alarm won't go off from the remote. The rear glass won't unlock from the remote either...
  4. G

Chirping noise when AC is on, safe?

It chirps once very twenty or thirty seconds. Well, my brother took it and drove 500 miles yesterday without any trouble and ran the ac most if the way. When he gets back I will do the fix as suggested by Number4, thanks to all!!
  5. G

The compressor seizing up is exactly what I was concerned about. I had a compressor seize on a 1995 Explorer I had and it shredded the belt. That was years ago and I don't remember if it chirped beforehand. Some more things I've noticed: 1) I don't hear it when parked with the AC on either...
  6. G

Ok, so it sounds like this can wait till my brother gets back and he is ok to go at least for this issue :) Thanks.
  7. G

Hi, My 2002 Explorer (4.6 v8) recently started making a chirping noise every few minutes when the AC is on while driving. It doesn't seem to do it when the AC is off. I changed the drive belt with a Motorcraft replacement but the noise is still there. My brother has to take it on a 1500 mile...
  8. G

high idle - help

I was looking around and noticed that a gray vacuum line was disconnected from the heater bypass valve. The idle so far has slowed down to 600RPM. I'm not declaring success yet until it runs for a few days but could this have been the cause of the intermittent high idle?
  9. G

high idle - help

The high idle is also intermittent. I can drive to work and the idle at a traffic light will be 600RPM. I drive home later that day and it might be 1000RPM. What would cause it to be intermittent?
  10. G

high idle - help

I wound up replacing the intake manifold and gasket as I had a coolant leak there as well. This seemed to fix the high idle for a while but it is now back. I have cleaned and replaced the IAC and TPS. I also cleaned the MAF and the throttle body as well. I even reset the settings by...
  11. G

4.6L stumbling/bucking

It happened a lot tonight while snowing out. Could it be related to the auto 4x4?
  12. G

4.6L stumbling/bucking

It happens when I'm driving (not idling at a stoplight) and when I'm either at steady speed or accelerating. The tricky part is that it doesn't happen all the time. We've warmed up recently into the 20s and 30s and it hasn't been doing it lately as much. Thanks.
  13. G

4.6L stumbling/bucking

Hey guys, My 2002 4.6L has 168k miles. Over the winter (about a month and a half ago) it has at times bucked or stumbled. It feels like it is coming from underneath the center console. It doesn't do it all the time, maybe once a day. At first I thought it might be a coil pack but this doesn't...
  14. G

high idle - help

Hi, My 4.6 is sitting at idle in gear at 1200RPM. It has 170k miles currently. This is causing rough downshifts as you come up to a stop sign or light. I have tried several different IACs including one from Ford. I changed the TPS. I have looked for vacuum leaks but I'm unable to find any...
  15. G

Fast Idle, help!

I tried a brand new TPS and that didn't fix it. I did notice that the throttle body seemed slightly stuck open when no pedal is applied. I'm going to take it off and clean it this weekend.
  16. G

Fast Idle, help!

Well, its a couple weeks later and the fast idle is back :( Just to recap, I replaced the IAC valve with a new one from Ford. Does anyone have any ideas on what else to check? Thanks, Gregg
  17. G

slow coolant leak

Hi all, My Explorer consumes about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon of coolant very 2 months. I'm not seeing any coolant on the ground or any white smoke from the exhaust. Any ideas on what it could be or how to troubleshoot? Thanks, Gregg
  18. G

Fast Idle, help!

All, Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I decided to replace the IAC and get the part locally so I could change it this weekend. I wound up calling around and was surprised on the range of prices from Ford dealers. Most were $138 but some were as high as $153 for the IAC valve. I finally...
  19. G

Fast Idle, help!

New iac from Ford is $153. I'm going to try cleaning it first. If that doesn't work I'll replace it. Any suggestions on what to use to clean it? Thanks.
  20. G

Fast Idle, help!

All, I noticed recently that my Explorer started downshifting roughly from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. My truck has 130kmiles so I was initially worried that my trans was on the way out. Upshifts are fine though. I also noticed that when I start it up that the idle is real fast at about 2100...
  21. G

Noise and vibration turning left

ok thanks. I'll check the bearing this week.
  22. G

Noise and vibration turning left

Hi, My 2002 explorer has 122k miles. I notice a slight noise and slight vibration of the steering wheel while turning left. It doesn't happen when turning right. I also only notice it on the highway at speed for example changing lanes. I don't notice it at low speeds on city streets. Do...
  23. G

Jump starting my 4.6

All, The other day I ran my battery down and tried to jump start it using one of those portable jump starters. I fully charged the jump starter but my suv just would not turn over. I wound up using another car to jump start it. Are these jump starters just not powerful enough to turn over my...
  24. G

Rough idle and "Check Engine Soon" light - FIXED

My car had codes 174, 300 and 316, idled rough and felt like it wanted to stall at stop lights. Got the parts at Ford today. The pvc hose was $29.53 and the pvc valve was $19.31. I guess we pay extra here in NJ. All codes cleared and idling smoothly again. Thanks for the detailed writeup and...
  25. G

Air Conditioning blowing through defrost vents

When I have it on max ac it goes back and forth every so often from the regular vents to the defrost vents. I'm not sure if that is normal or the same as what you're experiencing.
Back