Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

Main brake lights out; third brake light works

Yes, in fact both bulbs were dead. I replaced them and all is well again. Thanks.
  2. 9

I thought the same but wondering about the switch because the door locks no longer engage when I hit the brake pedal as they always did. I thought maybe the switch has a separate set of contacts for the third light...
  3. 9

I noticed today that my power door locks are not engaging upon first use of the brake pedal as they usually do. Did some checking and found that the main brake lights are not coming on either, although the third brake light does come on. Is this likely to be a bad switch behind the brake...
  4. 9

98 XLT Heater Issue

I am going to watch for leaks and once it warms up (outside air temps; I don't have a heated garage to work in) a bit I will check the overflow hose, etc. I mentioned above that I did see what looked like some gelled antifreeze in the overflow tank (on the sides above the "water line") so I...
  5. 9

98 XLT Heater Issue

So, maybe Turdle wins the prize? Had the usual problem driving home last night. I parked at the lower end of my driveway which is on a 10 deg'ish uphill climb and let the engine cool while we had dinner. Came out an hour later, popped the radiator cap, and shone a flashlight in - it appeared...
  6. 9

98 XLT Heater Issue

Very interesting indeed. The last time I looked in the overflow tank I did see what appeared to be some gelled antifreeze... And, as I said, I did have the thermostat and housing replaced a few months ago. Perhaps the guy didn't properly bleed/fill the coolant system. I will definitely...
  7. 9

98 XLT Heater Issue

Interesting. Shouldn't the overflow tank be low/empty then?
  8. 9

98 XLT Heater Issue

Can anyone point me to an engine compartment diagram which shows the location of the Heater Control Valve in a 98 Explorer with "E" engine? Here is some additional info which I believe points to the problem being something other than the blend door: I leave my office each day and drive about 1...
  9. 9

98 XLT Heater Issue

Does your opinion change if I tell you that while out during lunch today I deliberately adjusted the temperature control from full cold to full hot several times and it seemed to work perfectly?
  10. 9

98 XLT Heater Issue

So, I just returned from lunch - 2.2 miles each way with a 15 minute break in between. I had full heat within the first mile starting out and again within a minute of starting the return trip. What could be the cause of my heat working, not working, working again like this? Could I possibly...
  11. 9

98 XLT Heater Issue

It's been frigid in Connecticut this year with many sub-10 deg mornings; not sure if that relates to this issue but I put it out there just in case. I drive about 22 miles each way to work; virtually entirely on the highway in the mornings and then 17 highway/5 local in the afternoon. For most...
  12. 9

Identify this hose?

Thanks for your reply. If it is a breather hose that is supposed to be attached to the differential, I'll have to see if I can get it reattached soon.
  13. 9

Identify this hose?

This hose is hanging down between the left rear shock and the differential; wondering what it is. My guess is that it is a drain hose and the clip visible near the end is meant to hold it up against the chassis. Can I safely ignore it for now? (click to expand)
  14. 9

A different take on the door lock problem

But I never did any of that stuff - never removed a door panel on this vehicle at all. I suppose the dealer may have done so at some point. I don't know why the knob was so mangled but it has been acting up for many months.
  15. 9

A different take on the door lock problem

I'm not sure if this has been reported before but ought I would mention it. The driver's door latch assembly on my 98 Explorer XLT has been acting up for a while now. When I unlock the doors with the remote or the inside rocker switch, the door lock button only pops up 1/2 of normal or less...
  16. 9

Another flashing "O/D Off" question

I'll try to do that; it may take a few days.
  17. 9

Yeah, I know about the (probable) vacuum leak. I presume that is a separate issue, unrelated to the new flashing O/D Off problem. I just went out to lunch and drove about four miles maxing out at maybe 35-40 mph; the light stayed off the entire time. I am guessing it will come back on...
  18. 9

1998 Explorer with "E" engine (4.0L, 6 cyl) and 206,000 miles on original transmission. I drive 23 miles each way to and from work 5 days per week, 21+ miles are highway at typical 60 - 70 mph. Yesterday morning I stopped at Dunkin' about 18 miles into my drive. As I was pulling back onto...
  19. 9

Temperature gauge reads too hot

Just to clarify, are you saying that if you turn the ignition to on with a stone-cold (car has sat overnight, for example) engine, the gage rises immediately to the halfway mark? Or, are you saying that after just a few minutes of running the gage reads mid- to hot even though you get cold...
  20. 9

96 explorer runs like it is out of gas

What do those have to do with leaving the windows open in a rainstorm? Did you check the power seat as I suggested? Did you check all of the power window / door lock switches? Do you have the electronic touchpad on the outside of the driver's door? If so, have you checked it for water...
  21. 9

Directed Valet 562T Remote Starter

I think he disconnected it simply because it wasn't oem and he wanted nothing to do with it. Also, since it wasn't programmed to the new keys, the fob would not even unlock/lock the doors let alone start the engine. The bypass module is the 555F...
  22. 9

Walk a woman through upper radiator hose replacement

$75 is way too much. Try http://www.advanceautoparts.com and be sure to select the correct engine when going through the "Add a vehicle" form. Note: the eighth character of your Explorer's vehicle identification number (VIN) is a letter which represents the engine in your vehicle. You need to...
  23. 9

96 explorer runs like it is out of gas

How wet did it get? Likely culprits would seem to require drying out the switches in the door panel (power windows and door locks). But, I might vote for looking into the power adjust driver's seat (assuming you have this option) as it is one of the few features which normally has power even...
  24. 9

Directed Valet 562T Remote Starter

So, a few months ago the Explorer simply refused to start or even crank. Tow truck driver thought it was the PATS security system; had vehicle towed to dealer who said the same and replaced the receiver module which surrounds the ignition and also cut two new keys (I only had one of the...
  25. 9

Clunk on take off only

My 1998 Explorer XLT just turned 200,000 on the odometer. Three times in the last 15 years I have had the "clunk" problem and each time it turned out to be a shot transfer case. I am currently about two years into my second "junkyard" transfer case and driving clunk-free.
Back