Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Strange coolant leak

I have a 98 ohv explorer with about 170,000 on the clock and recently i keep having to add coolant to the vehicle every week at the rate of roughly 1/2 gallon. I looked under the vehicle and there is visible coolant on the lower radiator hose but i tightened the clamp and it does not seem to...
  2. D

98 won't hold an idle and stalls

This morning I went to start my 98 4.0 ohv explorer and encountered some problems. I can turn it on but the explorer will not hold an idle. It will idle extremely rough than just stall out. When I rev it, initially it is not that responsive but around 2000 rpm and up it revs freely. However...
  3. D

exhaust replacement options

The exhaust system on my 98 4.0 explorer is in need of replacement. The hangers are broken and the flange that connects to the cat is rusted out. I'm trying to find a stock replacement exhaust online, but all I can find are side exit performance exhausts. I don't want a loud exhaust. Does...
  4. D

98 explorer knocking bottom end

I have a 98 explorer with the 4.0 ohv and recently did an oil change using 20w-50 oil and some lucas oil stabilizer (been using 20-50 for some time with good results). Now at idle the engine makes a knocking/rattling sound that seems to be located in the bottom end and is only present at idle...
  5. D

95 explorer code 335

I won't be able to look at the car until the weekend but I do not believe that there is a sensor mounted on the egr valve. I checked various auto parts website and i can't find the part
  6. D

95 explorer code 335

My check engine light has been on and I'm getting a code 335. I figure it is the dpfe sensor, but i can't find a place to buy it. It seems that all part stores in my area don't have the part for this application
  7. D

Rear brake line rusted through/powersteering question

The other day my 95 explorer developed a hole in the metal rear brake line that runs the length of the axle. From what I have read, the line is 3/16 diameter. I went to my local autozone and all they sell is the pre flared lenghts of line. My question is, will the fittings on these preflared...
  8. D

front brake cable

I'm going to try the dealership tomorrow
  9. D

front brake cable

The brake cable that attaches to the parking brake mechanism on my 98 snapped. I removed the broken cable and went to the autoparts store, but they said they didn't have the part. All they had were the right rear and left rear. Where can i get a front brake cable.
  10. D

flywheel bolts

bought a set of torx sockets, the bolts were a torx socket e12 i believe
  11. D

flywheel bolts

from what i saw it definately is what is pictured so does anybody know the size?
  12. D

flywheel bolts

what type of bolts are used to hold the flywheel on. A 12 point socket fits over them loosely, are they some type of torx bolts? and if so what size?
  13. D

replacing input shaft?

i was thinking of sanding it with some emery, but would that have any negative effects on the transmission.
  14. D

replacing input shaft?

The pilot bearing on my 98 went, damaging the tip of the input shaft and not allowing a new pilot bearing to slide on smoothly. Is there anything that can be done to avoid replacing the trans. If i have to replace the transmission would it be cheaper to buy a refurbished unit off ebay or...
  15. D

blown pilot bearing?

Does anybody have any idea on what i should do? The new pilot bearing will not slide easily over the input shaft. I think i will be needing a new transmission? Would it be cheaper to have it rebuilt or should i just buy a refurbished unit off ebay?
  16. D

e-brake cable snapped

With inspection coming up I have to replace my e-brake cable that snapped. The front cable that goes around the foot pedal broke and I took a glance at it, but can't figure out how to replace it. Does anyone have a writeup or can explain to me how to replace the cable.
  17. D

blown pilot bearing?

I finally got around to pulling the transmission off and noticed the the end of the tranny input shaft was all scarred up. I stuck my finger in the pilot bearing hole and pulled out large metal pieces. Where do i go from here and what should i do in regards to the transmission.
  18. D

tranny to t-case gasket

I removed my transfer case and the gasket that goes between the extension housing and transfer case fell apart. Where can I get a new one or can I just use rtv? Also what would be the best way to remove the stuck on gasket from the 2 surfaces?
  19. D

advice on removing quick disconnect

I tried again for another 30 minutes and still nothing. The plastic collar is starting to get chewed up, what should i do? Also i can't seem to find the gasket that goes between the tranny and t-case. Should i just use rtv sealant on it
  20. D

when i pulled the t case there was a paper gasket in between the two and it is mangled now.
  21. D

i was giving that thing hell and pushing on it with all my force and it still would not come out.
  22. D

I am in the middle of doing my clutch install, everything is pretty much unbolted, but i can't get the quick disconnect fitting off. I have the tool and have been trying to unhook it for hours but it will not budge. The white sleeve slides down, but the fitting does not come out. Also does...
  23. D

manual trans won't go into gear

clutch fluid reservoir is filled. I decided that I am going to go ahead and repalce the clutch and slave cylinder and go from there.
  24. D

manual trans won't go into gear

if the slave cylinder is the problem would it be leaking? I looked under my car and it appears dry
Back