Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Front noise & removing driveshaft

GOOD CALL !!! Thank you !! It started when I had to slam on my brakes on a panic stop to avoid a numb skull. I've looked all over underneath, but everything seemed OK. Just now I peeked underneath - the upper bolt is missing ! At least the head.. maybe it snapped during the panic stop. Funny how...
  2. E

Front noise & removing driveshaft

Hi, all. 00 Sport 4Wdrive. Started having noise while turning. Visually all appears OK from the tires to the suspension to the axles, etc. I posted before, but now the condition is serious. To the point it's unable to drive even straight. It feels like something is locking up or rubbing, as if...
  3. E

Sharp Turn Noise & Grabbing

no... alignment is good. tires are good. the howling noise is coming inside, not from any rubbing.
  4. E

Sharp Turn Noise & Grabbing

Hi, and thanks to anyone who takes their time to offer advise. My 00 Sport developed this condition: when turning sharply, the front emits a howling type sound, and the wheels feel as if you're turning on a flat tire, like they're grabbing. Going straight and moderate curve, nothing. Turning...
  5. E

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

from personal experience, the only thing worse than Hankook tires, are the cheap Kumho's... as soon as I can, I'm replacing these garbage tires with Goodyears..
  6. E

Muffler Repair

I put in an AP muffler I got from Rock Auto... nice, quiet, inexpensive... didn't need the tailpipe
  7. E

Rough idle on my 2001 Mountaineer 5.0L.

How are the spark plugs ? I had similar symptoms, the plugs gap was so wide I could put my arm through it.
  8. E

Can I drive without the CV shaft

I'm not sure how or what you were doing, but I just did this job. And it was quite easy. I bought a new ft u-joint & a new CV joint for the rear. Turns out, it wasn't my problem, anyway. But the rear joint came out very easy once I un-bolted the 6 bolts.
  9. E

Growling front end

Thanks for the info... I'm afraid this may be my problem as well. Ugh...
  10. E

98 sport 4X4 front driveshaft noise

see my thread, although mine's noit a clicking noise... my problem is not the front driveshaft.
  11. E

Growling front end

And ? ... and ? .... (waiting for the prognosis .. )
  12. E

Help ! Front end noise

No, brakes are fine & no pulsing whether the brakes are applied or not.
  13. E

Help ! Front end noise

OK... I'm at my wit's end... eliminated tires, hub/bearings, CV joint axles, & front driveshaft... I STILL have a speed-related noise, which is very prevalent at 20-30 MPH... it's coming from the front, I can sorta feel it through the floor... it's like everytime the wheel/tire rotates it...
  14. E

Help ! Front end noise

Well... it seems that the garbage Pep-boys tires that were on this vehicle were much a part of the problem. Although I've eliminated most of the noise on this vehicle, I'm sorry I got it. This doesn't come close to the '03 I had before. It was quiet & smooth. This gen is rougher, noisier, &...
  15. E

2000 Explorer Sport - Need Opinion

I had an 03 that was so good, I never had to go on this forum. After it got wrecked recently, I got a Sport, since I got it cheap. Well, it's a good thing, because I done nothing but chase noises. It doesn't come CLOSE to the next gen model, I'm sorry to say.
  16. E

How much pressure do my tires need, please

I'm trying to figure out who to listen to: the vehicle's engineer, the tire manufacturer, or a tire mechanic. What's the score ?
  17. E

Looking for advice on purchasing an Explorer

My 03 XLT was one of the best vehicles I've ever had. Would still have it if it wasn't wrecked. Only problem I had, but lived with, was the hum from the rear differential. The 4.0 ran flawlessly for 170k miles.
  18. E

Growling front end

Precisely. I just got a good deal on a 00, knowing I had some ft end noises to correct. Solved all, except this annoying rotating noise... which leads me to your suggestion... tires.
  19. E

How much is a 2000 Limited worth?

They could "ask" all they want... and keep asking... it's what they actually SELL for is what matters. Those KBB /book values are what the dealer publish to make you "think" they're giving a customer a good deal. Nobody's stampeding to buy these due to the gas mileage. You'll see. I was going...
  20. E

Growling front end

Yeah, that's where I'm at, on my other post. I've still got good tread on the tires, but I think that's my next stop.
  21. E

Growling front end

but he said the noise was there while on the lift, so that eliminates the tires.
  22. E

Help ! Front end noise

No, sparky, it's a speed-related noise. Somewhere between the tires & the differential. I'm almost thinking tire(s) now.
  23. E

Help ! Front end noise

Well.......... removed the front driveshaft. No difference. So... not the hubs, not the CV axles, now not the front driveshaft. I'm at a standstill.:(
  24. E

Help ! Front end noise

The noise definitely is in front. It was making a racket, so I did the hubs & CV joints. Quieted all, except the remaining sound. I guess I'll check the driveshafts.
  25. E

Help ! Front end noise

In my 00 Sport 4wd, there's a speed-related noise,sounds like it's in the front. I just got it, knowing there were FE noise issues, as it drove the noises were very loud. I replaced both CV axles & both hub/bearings. Eliminated all the noise EXCEPT: as it drives at low speed, there's a rumble...
Back