Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

How Well Are 4th Gens Holding Up?

Well it is difficult to find a 4th gen Explorer with the 4.6 and I would rather have a regular part time 4wd system over the awd system. I found an EB with 120k miles on it. I checked the Carfax through my Geico app and found that the transmission was overhauled. I’m hoping to get off of work...
  2. G

Of course, buying used is a gamble... the Explorers I have owned in the past we’re known for transmission issues but I didn’t experience any with them even with over heating one at one time. I’m more knowledgeable on the 1st and 2nd gens... and maintenance is key for sure...
  3. G

Yeah, I had a 2000 Explorer with the SOHC and the timing chain got slop around 195k. The guides and tensioners were supposed to be better after 2003 but I’ve had no experience with them after 2000. Ford transmissions always have me skeptical even though mine weren’t bad but everyone else seemed...
  4. G

I’m curious as to how these newer versions of the 4.0 SOHC hold up with higher mileage. I just sold my pickup since it was getting in bad shape and found a couple of 4th gens. 2 around 150k and 1 around 117k and the prices vary per truck and back in the 2nd gen days I wouldn’t be afraid to buy...
  5. G

Ford Explorers at the SEMA Show

Thanks for the pictures, Rick. Those are both good looking 5th gens.
  6. G

Has anyone added 3rd row to their 2 row?

I’m a long time member here but have only owned 1st and 2nd gens and haven’t had an Explorer in a couple of years. I’m looking into buying a 3rd gen because of the room and as a daily driver instead of my gas hog of a pickup. I found a 3rd gen 5 speed that is 4WD! Which most of you know is rare...
  7. G

new Explorer owner

Welcome! This is an awesome place to learn about your Explorer whether its routine maintenance, repairs, or modifications you'll learn about it on here.
  8. G

The Black Hole

I do like your idea though! I've thought of running a power outlet in that spot too after seeing it on someone's thread years ago. It would make it nice for camping trips and in other situations.
  9. G

New (to me) Explorer

Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place to learn about your truck. Searching 3rd Gen lifts you will discover what is possible to do to your Explorer to make it a little more off road friendly.
  10. G

The Black Hole

I don't think the wiring is heavy enough...I think the wiring would overheat....
  11. G

Glen4X4's 00 XLS!! (8th Owned Ex!!)

Well I had a good run with my 1996 Explorer XLT that we had owned since 2007 but the rust had finally gotten to her....she had 126k on when bought and 213k when she was sent to Ex heaven with no transmission or engine work ever done except for regular maintenance.... With that being said a...
  12. G

How to: 2nd gen console removal

All you need to do is push in on the sides of the display part and pull up. It will pull out and disconnect the plug on the back side.
  13. G

1999 ford explorer 4 door 4wd manual

Sure, I'll buy it! Meet me half way :p: But anyway, there is a great wealth of information on this site. There isn't much info out there on the statistics on 4 door manual shift Explorers, there isn't a lot of them out there, some here have done swaps on their trucks to achieve having a 4 door...
  14. G

Can a T-case clutch slip?

Unless you rarely used 4wd in the 95, then I would go with a case with the lowest mileage as possible or rebuilt/reman, or just swap a manual BW1354 into the truck.
  15. G

Actually the transfercase in the 95 is the same thing but the GEM was programmed to make it operate slightly differently. You could essentially swap the transfer case but you need the front drive shaft from the 95 also. I'm pretty sure the plugs stayed the same but double check before you go...
  16. G

Yes, the clutch can slip, these transfer cases do not last forever especially when used off road alot or when abused.
  17. G

Glen's 96 XLT

This weekend has tested the love and bond a truck and man can have....I finally went to replace the fuel tank, the fuel pressure sensor on both tanks broke! Kris G helped me out with naming the part because I had no idea what the sensor was. Disconnecting the filler lines and fuel pump lines...
  18. G

Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

Someone has got to lift one up like this! :D I bought this last June because *cough* my daughter wanted it *cough* ;)
  19. G

In need of quick rust fix

As others stated, it is worse than what you are seeing, that plastic holds moisture in and the metal gets saturated with dust/dirt/water and it rusts it and it spreads. You are probably going to want to take it to an auto body shop to get it taken care of correctly...
  20. G

Glen's 96 XLT

Something doesn't look right here.... Got another tank for the truck yesterday, poor truck has been sitting in one place practically for over a month now....
  21. G

Fuel Tank Interchange, 1st to 2nd gen?

I have quite a few places where my fuel tank is leaking quite a bit that I haven't driven the Explorer in awhile, too much rust issues around these parts. I've seen more 1st gens with plastic tanks than metal. Will a 1st Gen 4door interchange with the 2nd Gen 4door? Wasn't sure if the fuel pump...
  22. G

For Sale FW D44 with radius arms (PA)

I forgot about this thread..as of right now it's sold. Thanks for the bump :)
  23. G

Glen's 96 XLT

Carlisle 2013 Weekend. They're not in any particular order, just a couple pics from that weekend.
  24. G

Putting V8 engine, tranny and transfer case into a 4.0 vehicle?

You can...but if rockers are the only issue then why not repair or replace them? Less time and work and the other Explorer will eventually do the same thing.
  25. G

T bars

Can't relocate the bars unless using the super lift as Corkey mentioned.
Back