Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

4x4 auto, 2004 explorer

I did the Brown Wire Mod to diagnose the condition, I am still getting the clunk noise at 20 MPH on deceleration in 2wd. Any idea on what it could be ? it seems to be related to a downshift but I am not sure.
  2. N

4x4 auto, 2004 explorer

Now I am wondering, does anybody know why ford did away with the control module in '04 and '05 and then went back to it in '06 ? dosen't seem like ford usually adds parts to their cars, after doing away with them ...
  3. N

4x4 auto, 2004 explorer

You are correct, the 4x4 module was eliminated for the 2004 and 2005 model years, and in reading other posts I was under the impression that pulling that relay in the engine bay would disconnect 4x4 high and 4x4 low, but leave the 4x4 auto feature intact because it operates differently ( somehow...
  4. N

180,000 and going strong!

2004 4.6 with 186k, rear wheel bearings, rear lateral links , rear pinion bearing, alt, blend door fix, I got 300k out of my 1996 explorer with only replacing wheel bearings, ball joints, alternator and 2 torque converters, and hope to get 300k out of this one...
  5. N

4x4 auto, 2004 explorer

Hi Guys, 2004 explorer with front end clunking noise at 20mph when deceleration , suspect 4wd issue . Is there a fuse I can pull that will only disconnect the clutch that enables the 4x4 auto feature ? I want to disconnect the 4x4 auto without without loosing 4x4 hi , 4x4 low or doing a...
  6. N

04 stuck in 4x4

Is there any way to install a switch to cut the power to the magnetic clutch ( to lock it into 2wd ) . And if you did this, would you be able to use worn tires on an axle without causing any damage to anything ? ( when running at highway speeds in 2wd )
  7. N

Rear wheel bearing failure

Hi guys, I recently had my rear wheel bearings replace on my 2004 explorer, now one is wasted after only 10k miles. It was a National bearing and my research leads me to believe that they are usually a good bearing. I did have an alignment done after the replacement. any idea what may have...
  8. N

4.6L Engine cuts out.

It has never cut out while standing still, However it did fail to start one time until the third turn of the key and holding the gas pedal 1/2 way down ( witch is highly unusual ) Both time it cut out were at different RPM's 1 at 60 mph and holding the other at 35 mph and coasting to re set...
  9. N

4.6L Engine cuts out.

Hi guys, I have a 2004 Explorer XLT with a 4.6L with 160k miles that cuts out when driving ( and one time would not start at the beginning of the day ) The engine does not sputter but simply acts like you turn the key off while going down the road.( engine quits running and all idiot lights...
  10. N

Wheel opening molding / fender flairs 2004

Hi guys, Looking for some wheel opening / fender flairs for my 2004 explorer. I cant even find the chrome aftermarket ones you see on most everything. part numbers and manufactures would be a big help. Pictures of what you are running on your unit would be appreciated. Many Thanks,
  11. N

Grinding noise turning left

check wheel bearing.
  12. N

Car won't start

Those wires corrode over time.
  13. N

Clearwater Florida ?

I am on Vacation in Clearwater Florida and I am having intermittent starting trouble with my Ex. I am wanting to know if somebody here lives in the area and willing to let me use their garage and tools to change out a starter/battery cables ? Many Thanks,
  14. N

4.6L oil ?

Is anybody running 10W30 in their 4.6L
  15. N

No crank issue 2004 EX

Yes, it does feel good to have a simple fix. :) I just wish Ford would of left the solenoid on the fender where it belongs.
  16. N

No crank issue 2004 EX

Everything checked out in the power distrubution box, so I proceeded to jack the vehicle up and pull the starter. When I got under there I found that the 14ga. trigger wire for the solenoid had broken at the ring terminal. I double checked to make sure I had good voltage at the end of the...
  17. N

No crank issue 2004 EX

Hi guys, I have a no crank issue on a 2004 Explorer 4.6L . I have changed the blower motor relay with the start relay and still no go. I can start the car by putting the key in the on position and jumping the starter solenoid with a screw driver ( S post and Bat. post on solenoid )...
  18. N

No air from Defroster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0F_gyBV2g
  19. N

Major Coolant Loss

I guess first we need to know if the head has a ridge behind the freeze plug.
  20. N

Fueling issue 2004 Explorer

I know this might sound a little lame, But are they pre-paying at the teller with a $10. bill ?
  21. N

Fueling issue 2004 Explorer

Mine does the same thing sometimes when I put the lock on the 3rd knotch , Not sure what the problem is but when the pump kicks Off and I know it is not full, I simply put the lock on the first knotch and pump the gas in slower. seems like some pumps are worse than others and I suspect some gas...
  22. N

lack of heat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0F_gyBV2g
  23. N

lack of heat

If you are getting hot air anywhere in the cabin then your problem is not with the heater core or engine. It sounds to me that the door that directs the air flow is stuck or broken, ( probably to the floor position ) I had to manually force my defroster door open to get sufficent air flow to the...
  24. N

Removing Aquapel ?

5 to 10 years ? :eek: It does have some fine wiper marks and a couple small specks / chips, maybe I should just replace it anyway. Safelite quoted me $224. with blue tint shade at the top. Anybody have any comments on Safelite or the blue tinted windshields ?
  25. N

Removing Aquapel ?

Hi guys, A while back I had a glass treatment applied to my windshield at a Valvoline instant oil change, The product is called Aquapel and works kinda like Rain-X ( but is a different system ) It works great at beading up the rain and getting it off the windshield without the use of...
Back