Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

How to replace upper intake manifold gaskets

What is the correct part number for the good gasket set? I want to replace the upper (plenum) and lower (fuel rail) gaskets. From a previous post, it appears the MS90732 is not good. I was looking at MS15675A, but not sure if that is the updated set. I saw Magnum MS18048 listed as the good set...
  2. W

1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD

I like that. Nice work!
  3. W

Any tips on replacing the thermostat? I'm doing the job as soon as my parts come in. Seems straight forward and not much different than my Mustang 5.0. Does the fan need to come off?
  4. W

Rear AC not blowing

The level on mine is for floor or upper vents. I managed to get it mostly apar and had a look at how the blower motor turns. It doesn't turn at all on speed 1, but will turn on speed 2 and 3. However, it's t blowing forceful at all. I wonder if there is anything upstream blocking the inlet to...
  5. W

Rear AC not blowing

I am having a problem with the rear AC on my 1998 Explorer. I can hear the rear blower make noise and change speed with the rear fan adjustment switch, but there is no air coming from the rear vents, either floor or upper vents. Is there something that would obstruct airflow to the rear vents...
  6. W

5.0 Exhaust Thread

Full Boar does have the max flow with dual in/single out. You may find them as single in/dual out, but the max flow being straight through are reversible so they can be used as dual in/single out. They run about $40-50.
  7. W

I am using the wired OBDlink SX with Forscan and it works just fine.
  8. W

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

That's my main goal for tuning right now, fix the transmission tuning. It's really frustrating to pull away slowly then give it some throttle only to have the trans shift into 2nd as throttle increases. Gives for a real nice bog/lug. 1-2 shift feels nice, but I can hardly feel the 2-3 and 3-4...
  9. W

I didn't see it, but I take it the gauge now works after swapping the internals?
  10. W

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

images show for me. I'd like to use my quarterhorse and Binary Editor for my 98 explorer 5.0, but it seems the strategy isn't available for free and I'd have to upgrade to a newer version of BE.
  11. W

5.0 Exhaust Thread

Anyone tried installing one of the Mustang 2015+ Mustang resonators in place of the factory muffler for dual exhaust? They are dual in/dual out. I'm sure they can be had dirt cheap since all the mustang guys do a resonator delete.
  12. W

5.0 Exhaust Thread

Has anyone used a universal 3" tailpipe from Flowmaster? It seems the only cat backs available now are Gibson and Dynomax, but Dunomax uses a single 2.5" tailpipe. I'd like the Mac cat-back, but it's no longer available.
  13. W

Completed Project Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8

Any issues with piston to valve clearance with that cam? Are you using 1.6 or 1.7 rockers? I was looking at some of the Comp XE cams, but considering having one ground on a 116 lobe separation for a wider torque band, smoother idle, and less overlap for CA emissions. Did you swap the cam with...
  14. W

Are they all 8.5" width or 8.5" and 10"? Did you use any spacers? I like how they fit, I've been trying to get an idea on what offset works well. Looks like the 8.5" 5x4.5 only comes in 32mm offset. I'm torn between 18" or 20". Is that a 2" drop or more?
  15. W

Are those foose wheels? What size and offset? How much dd you lower it?
  16. W

Mevotech Supreme for front end rebuild?

Suggestions on grease? In the past I have used Mobil 1 grease on just about everything. However I currently have Green Grease in the grease gun. How often do you regrease?
  17. W

I went ahead an ordered the Moog problem solver upper arms, lower ball joints, and tie rod ends. I already replaced the swaybar endlinks with Mevotech supreme a while back. I'll have to replace the swaybar bushings at a later date.
  18. W

Is anyone using Mevotech Supreme front end components? I need to replace the upper arms, lower ball joints, and tie rod ends. The comparable Moog problem solver parts are 50% more expensive. I'm curious how well they hold up over time. I'm not doing any wheeling, it's just a daily driver 2wd and...
  19. W

Is there a build date at which the transmission was improved? I have an early 98 that was manufactured in 97. I was going to go with this with the predrilled factory plate so I know the JMod was done correctly since the trucks are slightly different. BCA DIY AODE, 4R70W, 4R75W AND 4R70E JMOD...
  20. W

99-01
  21. W

Turn Signal Mount

If you open the flap above the parking lamp there are two phillips screws that hold the parking lamp in place. Those screws go through the mounting tabs on the parking lamps. These tabs get brittle with age and break. The screws and remnants of the tabs are probably still in place. For mine I...
  22. W

FelPro 1415 exhaust manifold gaskets

I have a 1998 Explorer with the 5.0L and tubular manifolds. I have a set of FelPro 1415 exhaust gaskets sitting on the shelf that I had bought for my Mustang long ago. I need to do the manifold gasket on the drivers side of the Explorer. Is there any reason I couldn't use the 1415 gasket instead...
  23. W

A4LD, early 1-2 shift in OD

Bringing this back up as I have been thinking about this for a bit. If it were the solenoid sticking/failing, wouldn't the issue still occur with the shifter in the D position? When in D, the transmissions shifts as normal. Once I get above 40-45mph crusing, I pop it up into OD and it shifts to...
  24. W

makes since. I had considered that has well.
  25. W

A4LD, 4th gear always engaged in OD This is a Ford reman 2.9L A4LD in my 2wd Ranger with probably around 40K. It is a 2 solenoid version. In Drive there transmission shifts normally for 1-2-3 and TCC lockup. However, with the transmission in OD, the 1-2 shift is having issues. When cold the 1-2...
Back