Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. leon63

5.0 intake coolant 3/8" hoses...

Thanks much for the replies. I figured these weren't doing much, but I thought I would check. --Dan
  2. leon63

5.0 intake coolant 3/8" hoses...

Hello fellow 5.0 owners, Has anyone replaced those two wonderful 3/8" coolant hoses that go from the passenger side of the engine and run under the intake plenum? I'm not lazy (honest) but what is the benefit of having a cold-air intake just to re-heat the air with coolant?! I appreciate any...
  3. leon63

idler pulley

You might want to buy the pulley from Ford -- It wasn't much more than the auto parts store -- plus it came with the bolt and was made of metal. The Napa one I bought a while ago was plastic...
  4. leon63

Power Steering Fluid Flush: 4.0 SOHC

I switched to Motorcraft Mercon V XT-5-QMC and no more noise. I also replaced the hoses that connect to the reservoir and installed a magnetic filter.
  5. leon63

Power Steering Question

I had similar noise/vibration and found that my PS reservoir was full of gunk. So I cleaned it out, installed an in-line filter, and replaced the two hoses that connect to the reservoir. I also drained the system and refilled with "Motorcraft QT-5-QMC Mercon V ATF/PS" fluid, and I have NO more...
  6. leon63

4.0 to 5.0??

I think the swap makes sense as long as everything else on the recipient vehicle is in good condition. Otherwise you might be better off just buying a V8 Explorer/Mounty in decent condition. There are some great deals out there these days. As to V6 vs V8 -- I've owned a 94 and a 96 with 4.0...
  7. leon63

5.0 Exhaust Thread

I have stock manifolds which are leaking a bit; my plan is to get TM headers this summer. I had the muffler work done at Goofy's in Glenwood -- extra clean job. Regarding mileage, I've never really checked... Later, Dan
  8. leon63

5.0 Exhaust Thread

On my '98 5.0 Mounty, I recently had the stock exhaust system upgraded with a Magnaflow 12368, which is a dual 2.5 in and single 2.5 out, with new 2.5 stainless tailpipe and stainless tip. Got rid of the resonator, too. Sound and runs awesome!!
  9. leon63

Front & rear differential fluids

I went with Mobil 1 synthetic --75w90 front and 75w140 rear with no additive. Rear is 3.73 limited-slip and there is no chattering/noise. I bought the oil at Schucks O-Reilly $9/qt for 75w90 and $17/qt for 75w140.
  10. leon63

98 5.0 Explorer Thermostat bolt size?

Thanks Electrohacker, I'll get a couple before replacing the thermostat. -Dan
  11. leon63

98 5.0 Explorer Thermostat bolt size?

Hello all, does anyone know the size of the thermostat housing bolts on a 98 5.0 Explorer? Are they SAE or metric? I think they are 5/16 x 18. How about the length? I wanted to buy some from Ford before I r/r my thermostat, but they are not listed in their catalog... Thanks for the help, Dan
  12. leon63

2000 5.0 awd coolant leak

I have been trying to find a coolant leak somewhere around the t'stat housing. I have replaced the big and small hoses, t'stat, and gasket and sealed with permetex. Leak is still there -- I swear that small drips are coming out from above one of the housing bolts. Could the aluminum housing...
  13. leon63

o2 Sensor ?'s............

My 98 V8 Mounty CEL has lit up twice in the last month with P0153. So I decided to replace both front sensors. Wow, the driver side was as easy as the passenger side was difficult!! On the passenger side the connector release tab is on top (real nice) which is impossible to press while...
  14. leon63

OEM-type Carpet?

Thanks for all the excellent information!!
  15. leon63

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

I love it!! I want a sawzall and a '91!!
  16. leon63

CAUTION! AWD Front Drive Shaft Removal --Drifts in park.

According to the Ford service manual, AWD models have a transfer case that uses a center planetary gear differential to transmit power to the front and rear driveshafts. The movement of the front and rear driveshafts relative to each other is limited by the viscous coupling. So when the...
  17. leon63

OEM-type Carpet?

Thank you!
  18. leon63

How to take off door panneling for lock fix?

Hello and welcome to the site, It's easy. Use the search tool on the website. You will find several very good write-ups. Dan
  19. leon63

Key warning chime...

Is there a way I can just defeat the key-warning chime, while allowing the chime to still work for the headlights on? Thanks again! - Dan
  20. leon63

OEM-type Carpet?

Hello all, Where can I buy new OEM carpet for my 98 Mounty? I need the front and cargo pieces, with all the factory type cut-outs, retainers, etc. Thanks! - Dan
  21. leon63

Removal of Rear Seat Headrests?

Here is a picture of the plastic things I made up:
  22. leon63

I did it! After looking at the rear seat head rests on a '98 X like mine, I could see that the detent spring thingy was only locking on the back side of the rods. So, I cut up two 3-inch pieces of that clear plastic from a cat-toy package, and slipped them between the chrome shafts and the...
  23. leon63

I'm off to the yards!
  24. leon63

Thanks for the help JHT, I'll keep you posted.
  25. leon63

Thanks for the replies and info! JHT, can you post a picture or sketch? This doesn't look very fun - I think I'll go to a wrecking yard and do some surgery. I tried to gorilla mine off - not the right approach... I'll post pic's if I can figure it out. Thanks - Dan
Back