Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Headlights shut off

Had the same problem with mine a few years ago. It's the switch for sure. Replace it.
  2. L

Changing Transmission Fluid!! Or not

Check the switch in your tailgate, drivers side. I had same problem the rubber bushing broke off on the post that the switch engages with to turn off light when you close the back. I just wrapped the post with black electrical tape. Keep opening and closing back adding enough tape till light...
  3. L

headlight problems and I'm stumped

OK Thanks I will give it a try. I hope to get to it this weekend.....I will let you how it turns out. Thanks again
  4. L

Would this still be the switch because it only flashes when the high beams are on for about 20 mins. ? Tried it this morning with low beams only for over 30 mins. and it never flashed. Thanks
  5. L

Was wondering if you ever found the problem? My 93 ex started doing this 3 days ago, but it takes about 20 mins. of driving before they start flashing. Is it the switch or is there a relay for the headlights? Thanks
  6. L

A4LD Question

I called the BBB they told me about the complaints. Got the used transmission from Midwest Transmission distributors. They sell all over the country. They claim it came out of a 91 ex with 90k miles. They only give 90 day warranty on it, that is one disadvantage. When I changed the filter...
  7. L

A4LD Question

Thanks BrooklynBay, I did what you said and they were not registered with ATRA or the BBB but had 45 complaints, so I stayed away. I ended up getting a used one. I'm back on the road and everything seems to be working great.
  8. L

93 4.0 expo rough idle power loss ((PLEASE HELP))

Replace your MAF I had the same problem you have and I did everything that you have done so far too. Today I replaced the MAF ( about the only part left to replace ha ha ) It fixed it completely!!!! Got it at Autozone for $76.00 there is a $60.00 core charge so take your old one with you to...
  9. L

A4LD Question

Thanks BrooklynBay, Shop claims they rebuild, upgrade, anything that the trans. needs to fix it back to original specs. I did call them and ask if its just a soft rebuild they said yes and no because if there was other things broken they do repair them also all for the same price. They did say...
  10. L

A4LD Question

Help !!! Update Oh well trans. died today on way home from work. Lost all drive including reverse. Now what??? rebuild? What will it cost to do this myself? I just called a local shop for a price on a rebuilt tranny. $695.00 includes converter. ( I install ) or plus $395.00 ( they install )...
  11. L

A4LD Question

After reading many posts am I on the right track ? I have 1993 Ex 4x4 with the A4LD the problem is the delayed 1st to 2nd shift when cold. ( I'm thinking governor ) I have been shifting it manually for the past couple of weeks until it gets warmed up then it shifts fine. My question now is...
  12. L

How-To: 1st Gen Ball Joints / U Joints / Spindle Bearings

Very nice write up. It helped alot. I just did this on my 93 At each step I would come in and look at pictures and read what I needed to do next, this saved my alot of time. Thanks again You were right about the 6mm 12 point 1/4 drive socket, you do need it !!! I had a 6 point and thought it...
  13. L

A4LD Problems ??

I'd double check to make sure that the actuator pin didn't fall out when you removed the old modulator. When I removed mine the pin stayed in the modulator. You have to put it into the new one. As for the spool that probably wouldn't fall out on it's own. I pulled mine out with needle nose...
  14. L

A4LD Problems ??

I wasn't putting a shift kit in. I just was replacing the modulator. I put it back together just the way it came apart. ( no spring ) Its running great . Thank you for all your help. Lee
  15. L

A4LD Problems ??

I replaced the modulator, adjusted the bands, new Fram filter, & fluid. Took it for a ride around the block about 4 times then put about 20 miles on it ( I was afraid to go to far ) Its running great !! better than it did. the shifts are so smooth. I did not try it on the freeway yet. I'm pretty...
  16. L

A4LD Problems ??

My old modulator looks like the one on the bottom of picture, but the new one ( FRAM ) looks like the top one in the picture minus the adjusting knob.( mine just has a screw no knob ) I have a question....Should there be a spring in there ? The bottom of the picture shows no spring. That is...
  17. L

A4LD Problems ??

I got a new modulator tonight plan on putting it in tomorrow. 3 different kinds ??? I went to Autozone got the Fram #FM2336 it was only $9.00 plus tax I hope this is the right one. Looks like you can adjust it. ( a little screw in the front ) The guy at Autozone didn't mention anything about...
  18. L

A4LD Problems ??

Ok today I adjusted trans. bands both to 120 in. lbs. then back off 2 full turns then tightened lock nuts.( 1993 Explorer Limited ) Does that sound correct ? Then I pulled off the vacuum hose to the modulator & yes just like you thought ATF poured out !! So what does this mean ? What do I need...
  19. L

A4LD Problems ??

Thanks, I'll check the hose for fluid leaking into it. And yes it does leak a little, very little but I'm not sure if its oil from the engine or its tranny fluid. The bottom of the oil pan where the engine & trans. meet is always wet. The color is not red its brown. But that is kinda what the...
  20. L

A4LD Problems ??

Thanks for the info. I'll plan on doing all of that this weekend. I hope it works. I'll let you know. The old filter has Ford stamped on it. Does that mean it could be the original from the factory ? About the slivers I only found about 3 of them but very small the rest was shiny little flakes...
  21. L

A4LD Problems ??

I have a 1993 explorer limited 4.0 Got it a year & a half ago in Calif. drove it back to Az. ( the longest trip I've put on it. ) I use it almost every day back & forth to work ( 30 miles each way ) & around town. No problems what so ever. The odometer showed 53k when I got it. Now I have 80K (...
Back