Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Fuel Economy Decrease

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind if/when my Ex acts up. Knock on wood, 130K and running great!
  2. H

Fuel Economy Decrease

Still sounds like its your plugs. I remember my 06 EX drooping in MPG on my trips from Buffalo to Rochester to about 17MPG, didn't think much of it, I think I had around 75K on it. didn't throw any codes until around 115K. After I had the plugs replaced, my MPG went back up to 22 to 24 on that...
  3. H

Fuel Economy Decrease

If you're talking about Rochester, NY, I know that place well. In local driving, my mileage there dropped down to about 15 MPG in the winter (mainly due to me not driving on the highway). The high gas mileage comes from the last two gears, anything else literally sucks!
  4. H

Fuel Economy Decrease

You might need to replace your plugs and your fuel filter (if you haven't yet). I also don't disagree with the previous post, about gas mileage dropping in the winter.
  5. H

O/D Light

The OD button is for Over Drive (sixth gear). If your driving at Highway speed and press the button, it will downshift to 5th gear for acceleration/power. If you're going down a hill, normally you'd shift if from drive to 3 or 2 (depending on your speed).
  6. H

Transmission jerking on 1st speed

Try resetting the PCM. Basically, Remove the Negative Battery lead and isolate it. Then connect a wire between the Positive battery cable and the Removed Negative Lead (Wire NOT the terminal). Leave it that way for about 15-30 minutes. Afterwards, remove the shorting wire and reconnect the...
  7. H

possible misfire? no codes

May also want to check the ignition coils. There's a few threads out there that talk about some of them going bad causing problems (noticeable during uphill climbs...)
  8. H

possible misfire? no codes

Sounds like your spark plugs might just be starting to go. If you haven't replaced them yet, I'd do that first. Had the same issue with my 06. It didn't throw a code until 115K miles. The only thing I did notice was wasn't getting as good MPG (Highway) as before (dropped from about 22 to 17-18...
  9. H

Front End Noise Continued

Don't forget about the rear wheel bearings/hubs.
  10. H

Wind Noise Front Passenger Window

You may also want to check to see if the Insulation in the frame fell out. This insulation is stuck in the wheel well just in front of the door (behind the hinges). If this falls off, then you get extra noise.
  11. H

Reset check engine light

If you disconnect the battery, you need to also turn on your lights and press the horn. This will drain the residual voltage in the system holding the code. Remember if you disconnect the the battery, EVERYTHING gets reset, thus you'll have to retrain the transmission, and various other functions.
  12. H

Brake Pedal Soft - 2006 4.6L 4x4

My brakes had a soft pedal issue for a long time. Every once in a while you could hear the rubber squeaking. Then one day (months later) I smelled the aroma of burnt brakes. The seals on the rear brakes broke. After having both rear calipers replaced and the fluid changed, ALL the brake...
  13. H

P0442 Evap Leak - 2006 Explorer XLT 4.0L

I replaced my solenoid with a Doorman about 6 months ago and haven't had any problems. You can always check the solenoid out before you install it by connecting 12V to the contacts and blowing through the unit. You should be able to blow air without power applied and not be able to blow air...
  14. H

Knobby tire noise and clunk from front end related?

It may also be your wheel bearings (Hubs). Mine went out at around 110K. I've read some going out around 80K.
  15. H

2006 Ford Explorer exhaust leak

I have an 06 also that developed the ticking sound. It was found to be both Exhaust manifolds had leaks. It took the dealer a bit over a week to fix because when they went to replace it, a few of the bolts broke and they pretty much had to tear the engine down to repair it. Luckily, this...
  16. H

Hokie's looking for a Ford DD/light tow rig

A lot of the 06 Eddie Bauer's had of issues with the Transmission and Radiators. I've had my 06 Limited (4.6L with towing) and haven't had any transmission problems nor Radiator issues. I currently have about 119K miles on it. If you're looking at an 06/07, be very careful on checking out the...
  17. H

06 xlt with hum/vibration that starts just before 60 mph

The cupping of the tires could mean the lower ball joints are worn. The noise most likely are the wheel hubs. Just replaced my front left hub. Was sounding like I was running over a grated bridge. Sounds great now. Just waiting on the other side to fail (118500 miles 2006)
  18. H

Grrrrinding Binding Noise....

My 06 Ex just started to hear the noise (118500 miles). It sounds like driving over a grated bridge. Tech said that the Front Left Bearings were making the noise and I should consider replacing it. He said that at this time, there's not play in the hub just noisy. There is a good write-up on...
  19. H

Strangest Wind Noise I've Ever Heard

Try removing the antenna to see if it helps.
  20. H

Gear Stick stuck in P

Also see the thread on Fixed my Sticky Shifter Problem on 7-10-2013.
  21. H

UHAUL is against ford explorers?

I had the same issue with U-haul. Ever though the issue is with the OLD generation EX. You'd figure that all they need to do is have you sign a liability waiver. U-haul's arrogance is why I WILL NEVER rent from them. Try PENSKE or Budget Truck Rental.
  22. H

Steering wheel click/rattle noise

Bolt: 2 ea. SPO W715479 S439 Intermediate Shaft: SPO 8L2Z-3B676-B
  23. H

Steering wheel click/rattle noise

My 06 had a click in the steering when you turned the wheel to the left then back to center. When it hit center, you would hear a click. Ford found that the Steering Centerlink was causing the problem and replaced. Problem fixed.
  24. H

Water in Vapor Canister

Found the latest problem was the vapor solenoid shut off valve. Since water got in it, rust developed and was preventing the valve from closing. I ordered a replacement online for about $46. In the meantime, I took out the solenoid, sprayed a little bit of silicone in it and banged it around...
  25. H

Water in Vapor Canister

Vapor Canistor cost Thanks for the feedback! I didn't pay to have the repair, that's the estimate I got from the dealer to fix it. I couldn't see having to pay that much for this job!. I did find a new canister on-line for $112, and I could replace it myself if it was needed. FORD charges...
Back