Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Polished intake and other stuff

It took hours a night, must have been two weeks at least. I didn't have a flap wheel or I would have tried that. If it's a heavy duty one I think it would be worth a try. The hard part is knocking down the porous surface. The quicker and easier it's done the better. I used 50-grit paper, a...
  2. S

2 A4LD cases, different types

Woo hoo! The big man himself chimes in! I can't tell you how much help your diary has been. So I'll need a sleeve kit as well. I'm getting a 4.0 case now so to heck with that older case. Thanks everybody, Brooklyn, Glacier, Josh. I owe ya one. btw I was born and raised right there in Rancho...
  3. S

Whew! Right on Brooklyn! So I'll order the second one listed on Monday. Damn this has been one helluva adventure. Thanks again.
  4. S

Well, I kinda screwed them up. I went and drilled the holes in the back to tap out the rear race. I didn't have a jig I just eyeballed them. The angles were good and I was able to drive the race out. But I drilled one hole at the 6 o'clock position (as you look at the case with it laying flat)...
  5. S

Well I went ahead and bought that case Brooklyn. Now I'll have 3 cases! Are these cases good for aluminum recycling?
  6. S

Roger that! It's even cheaper. Thanks Brooklyn.
  7. S

Right on Brooklyn. I've set both cases side by side. Outwardly the only things I can see is that it has smaller fittings for the cooler lines. And there is no bolt hole just forward of the shift shaft bore that is present on my old case. I looked in my Haynes manual and there doesn't seem to be...
  8. S

Well there's only one way to be sure. And that's to forge ahead. Kind of depressing theres thousands of members here and no one knows. I'll find out though.
  9. S

So will my old tranny parts fit in this case?
  10. S

Right on. Thanks. I have my original bell housing that has been line bored. I really hope somebody can tell me if this is gonna work. I'll be so relieved.
  11. S

I bought a bare case off of Ebay for 60 bucks. The part number from my old tranny case is P-90 GT-7006-ABR. The one I got off of Ebay is P-85 GT-7006 ACR. The Ebay case has a small O.D rear race. What else is different? I see in the parts list that there is three types of A4LD case. Case -...
  12. S

Separator Plate/ Small Filter A4LD

Whew! Right on thanks! I can sleep now.
  13. S

Separator Plate/ Small Filter A4LD

Ok, so I've been following Glacier's and TNexplorer's Valve Body Rebuild Diary to the TEE. I've finished installing the Trans-Go kit and the Superior Kit. I've drilled all the necessary holes and what not. I've even installed the Sonnax O-Ring plug kit. I've re-checked and double re-checked...
  14. S

Solved Lifts and Max tire sizes

What's a good 16" or 17" rim? Would it be better than the stock 15" rims I have now?
  15. S

Thanks. I used a Dremel tool with a sanding drum for some spots. The problem was it would leave marks that I'd end up having to sand out again anyways. Same thing with the polishing wheels. For the big sections I used a vibrating sander. But in the end, to get a smooth finish there was no way...
  16. S

Polishing the intake took a long, long, long time. Did I say long? You wouldn't believe how much work it takes. If you want to get just a taste of how much work it takes, try polishing just a little spot on yours and then imagine doing the whole thing that way. This is the first and last time...
  17. S

Thanks. I used 50, 80, 150, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 2000 paper, fine steel wool, Mothers Mag and Wheel Polish, a buffing wheel, Dremel tool, vibrating sander, a flat file for some parts. Mostly it was my fingers with tape wrapped around that did all the work. The rims must have something...
  18. S

Here's what I did with a sheet of 220 grit and about a half hour of work....NOT!! lol. Just waitin' on tranny parts so I went a little polish crazy. No powder coating here baby. Enjoy.
  19. S

Red paint

Did you take out the headliner? How hard is it to put back in?
  20. S

East coast line boring shop?

I shipped my bellhousing to them. They line bored it, put a new bushing in and resurfaced the pump facing.
  21. S

Thanks to Brooklyn Bay for providing this link. http://www.precision-technologies.com/_wsn/page2.html Total cost was 66 bucks. 50 for the machining and the rest was for shipping. Took just under two weeks turnaround. Thanks Brooklyn!
  22. S

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

Roger that! Ok, so how about just the oil pan? It only cost me 9 dollars to ship my bellhousing to be machined. Oil pan should be pretty cheap to ship.
  23. S

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

Would you be able to powdercoat my transmission casing? I read how Glacier was planning on doing it on his A4LD rebuild diary but didn't want to risk heating his fully assembled tranny like that. What about if it's just the bare case/bellhousing? Lemme know, thanks!
  24. S

I called www.omegamachine.com already. They're in California. I'm in PA. Their price is fair, $110 +shipping +$100 core. I just wish I didn't have to ship clear across the U.S.A.. There has to be a machine shop on the East coast that can line bore my A4LD Bellhousing. I can't find any though!
Back