Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

cruise control activating brakes

The brake lights activated going down the hill when the cruise was on and I felt the brakes applying. If I have to accelerate through the cruise it defeats the purpose of having cruise control. I was trying to get a good mpg rating on this tank of gas and hitting the brakes when coasting down...
  2. A

cruise control activating brakes

Is it possible to disable or reduce the sensitivity of the cruise control applying the brakes? When cresting a hill I noticed that the cruise will apply the brakes to keep the speed exactly what it is set to. I'd rather let the vehicle drift 1 or 2 mph before clamping down only to have to...
  3. A

Explorer XLT - Is this jerk/lunge common?

you need to do a buyback on that one. Electrical issues are not great to dig into, combined with body work and transmission issues... time to run away. If you like the explorer you could get another one but yours sounds haunted.
  4. A

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

I'm a new 2020 owner and have noticed that my transmission took about 600 miles to get use to my driving and adapt to my driving style. When I first got it some shifts were poorly timed and clunky to my driving but now it's more in tune to what my expectations are. Hopefully it keeps working...
  5. A

Transmission cooler TSB completed or not?

Thanks for the responses. I do have an Oasis report on the vehicle and it wasn't listed. I'm going to ask for an updated report when I pick up the vehicle from the dealership tomorrow. I'll also peek underneath again and snap a picture.
  6. A

Transmission cooler TSB completed or not?

so I just purchased a 2nd hand 2020 X and had it at the dealer getting some things looked at. They said they would perform the TSB related to the trans cooler while they had it, but when they completed the other work they said that the work had already been done but not closed out in Ford's...
  7. A

anyone in nc

perfect. I have a 5 year old who would love to watch some people do crazy things. :-) Back in my younger days I took my 2wd ranger where I never thought 2wd could ever go. The X should do better with a better weight distribution and a limited slip diff, but I'm not looking to prove anything...
  8. A

anyone in nc

what's it like at Uwharrie? I was thinking of taking the family camping up that way and see what trouble I could get into with my 2wd X. Is there easy enough trails to have fun there without getting stupid?
  9. A

heater control valve vacuum line

Quick question on my 98 5.0L ex... I have heat and lots of it. Found the vacuum line to the heater control valve goes nowhere, so guessing that is my problem. Where should the line be connected to? Currently it's dangling and I couldn't find the other end.
  10. A

transmission temp

I'm new to towing my 17' travel trailer. The dry weight is 3500 lbs, the tow vehicle is a 96 X with the 4.0 engine. I have a fresh transmission with a transgo shift kit installed, as well as an aux cooler and temp gauge installed. My question is what is the normal temp range that the...
  11. A

P0741 4R55E + light flashing

ok, so now I'm really getting pissed off... I pulled everything apart, pulled out the extra stiff spring, that made a difference in shifting. I also inspected everything, cleaned it all again, verified all parts I touched are in the right spot... still get a flashing transmission light...
  12. A

here's a scan of the transgo instructions. It seems that this restricts fluid flow to the intermediate band, but I have no clue why. What do others think? Thanks
  13. A

that's what it looks like I need to do. I have new gaskets to try this weekend. Any idea what the orifice that I had to install for the shift kit does? I'm inclined to pull it out and see what difference that makes. I've not seen any mention of this with any of the stickies here.
  14. A

ok, installed new EPC and TCC solenoids. Same problem. I did inspect the wiring harness and it looks great. more things that I noticed today, When it first starts, putting the transmission into drive will put enough drag to stall the engine, but only when cold. Also the transmission and...
  15. A

Any specific method to test the harness? I'm guessing to check connectors, wire for cuts, and continuity. Anything else? Good idea, I didn't think to check the harness. Also checking the solenoid would let me know if that was really the problem. Thanks
  16. A

that is true, but since it's so time consuming and messy to get to, and with this many miles on it, I went ahead and ordered a new one as well as an EPC solenoid. I also am going to install a drain plug this time around, should have done that last time. Also, the forward mod in the transgo...
  17. A

more to add now... drove it some more this evening and got a check engine light. Came home and scanned it, P1742, torque converter solenoid shorted. I'm ordering a new one and parking the explorer until I can get it installed. Shifting this evening was really harsh...
  18. A

I just bought my 96 explorer from a family member, just shy of 200k miles on it. The transmission fluid was horribly dirty and there's no history of it being serviced, so I figured I'd work on it. I put a transgo shift kit with new filter and fluid in yesterday. After the install I get the...
  19. A

should I buy?

96 eddie bauer explorer, 200k on the clock, body in excellent shape, paint peeling a little on roof with a little surface rust there. AC not working, interior good condition for 200k. There's some dirt in the ATF, it probably needs a fluid flush, shocks are shot, but other than that, it runs...
Back