Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Post yer 94 pictures

Here's mine...chopped top, winch, front & rear bumpers, 33x10.5x15 KM2's, 2" suspension lift. I just picked up an open 8.8 with discs, going with an Aussie locker,hope to have it swapped out this summer. .
  2. M

Quick fix

My step-son Chris was in a head-on collision a couple years back totaling his Mazda B4000. We stripped most of the damaged parts and started the search for replacement pieces. Jobs, school, hunting and fishing trips kept the project on the back burner until recently...we heard an advertisement...
  3. M

Upgrade to discs, proportioning valve

Thanks!! Appreciate the info! I guess I'll grab everything and sort it out as I go..:)
  4. M

Upgrade to discs, proportioning valve

I've got a '94 with an 8.8 trac-lock with drum brakes, I've located an axle from a '95 with correct gearing and an open carrier that I'll be installing an Aussie locker in. My question is concerning the proportioning valve differences between drums and disc brakes, the E-brake cable and brake...
  5. M

I think it's a transfer case component, but not sure. PICS

It looks like the pinion seal. If it's been leaking that long I would pull the plug on the front diff and make sure it's full of lube....it'll save you some money in the long run, keep it topped off until you get the leak fixed...or don't use 4x4. I would spray it down with brake cleaner and...
  6. M

Winch plate---Weld or bolt on?

I've managed to drag the license plate off on a couple occasions :p: The plate is even with the bottom of the frame, everything but the shackles are tucked up above the frame. I welded mine because it was a simple solution, faster than drilling holes thru the frame...kinda lazy I guess :p: The...
  7. M

Winch plate---Weld or bolt on?

I welded the my winch mounting plate to the frame (1st gen ), added a piece of rectangular tubing at the rear to help strengthen the plate, also welded receiver tubing to the frame for recovery attachment points. The bumper is bolted on.
  8. M

Heater / AC Blower is out. Already checked all the usual suspects and then some.

Check the relay in the rear of the fuse/relay compartment under the hood. On my '94 it is the left rear relay and would work intermittently...I could tap on the relay and the blower would run. I replaced it with a common Automotive 5-Pin Relay SPDT similar to this one...
  9. M

First Gen mod pics

Thanks! There is a thread here... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194616 mike
  10. M

Just changed front bearings, having strange issues.

Check your hubs, there is a bearing in there that will cause issues if it runs dry. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293940
  11. M

Spindle needle bearing

I couldn't find a break-down of the manual hub assembly, lots of info on the auto hubs. The bearing is a Torrington # B248. Also...there is a thread here... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232754 with some info on hubs. What did you find wrong with yours?
  12. M

Spindle needle bearing

I took some pics when I tore down the hub, it's real simple to check...this is for a locking hub. Remove hub, then on the inside, remove the snap-ring. I used a pair of snap-ring piers to grab the inside of the gear and wiggled it out of the hub bore. There is a spiro lock retainer...
  13. M

Spindle needle bearing

Just went thru something similar a couple months ago...my '94 had a noise that would come and go in the right front wheel, noise and vibration...then quiet again. It turned out that I had a bearing go bad in the hub, there is a torrington needle bearing in there that will protest if it runs dry...
  14. M

winch mounting

Here's mine....I welded a piece of rectangular tube to create a crossmember, then welded a Warn winch mounting plate to that. Welded some 2" sq receiver tube to the frame ends and added gussets. The bumper bolts up to the frame and nests around the winch. I wanted this...
  15. M

Read the sticky - still no 4x4 (GRRR!)

I spent a couple days chasing shift problems on mine....turned out to be a bad ground. Make sure the shift motor/transfer case has a good ground to the chassis.
  16. M

Finally found that front-end "noise"

Nah...not too concerned with rust, as long as it quit making noise, there's enough grasshopper guts (worst infestation we've had in years) to keep it pretty well preserved. :( Don't think I'll be fabbing any damascus beams :p: I did make a couple damascus hammers....complete with Impala shin...
  17. M

Finally found that front-end "noise"

For over a year I've been trying to locate a noise in the front-end. It was a growl/squeak/groan/stop your heart type of noise that was totally unpredictable...conditions had to be just right. Today I was changing brake pads when I noticed a shiny spot on the right axle, and another one inside...
  18. M

Trimmed / Rolled Fender Techniques...

I re-profiled my front wheel opening for added clearance. I took the plasma cutter and made a slice from the body line down, then moved it back and welded it up...gave me an additional an inch of clearance. Some pics here.. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194616&page=2
  19. M

What do I need to do to fit 33x10.5s

I managed a set of 33x10.50's with my '94...it required a 2" suspension lift and some trimming, I've covered most of it here... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194616 I've been running KM2's since Feb and love 'em!! mike
  20. M

First gen explorer pickup

My home grown version...:D mike
  21. M

Goodrich KM2s ? Anybody Opinions

I've been running a set of 33x10.5x15 km2's for about a month now. I really like them, they work! I've had the chance to try them in snow, mud and rocks...excellent traction! mike .
  22. M

Rear bumper

Thanks guys! No CB...yet, should get one I guess, I mostly wheel alone anyways. I'm afraid an antenna would get rubbed off on the sides :o 4x4x1/2" square tube!!! Should be plenty stout!!! It would make a great air tank if welded up good and tight.:thumbsup: I made the shackle...
  23. M

Rear bumper

Finally getting around to getting a rear bumper built. I used 3 1/2" pipe for the bumper, welded 3/4" tabs thru the bumper, used 2"X4"x .120 rectangular tube for the side pieces and 3/16" for the top. Pipe is tight against the frame end...I thought about shortening the frame, but decided...
  24. M

Bumper project

Thanks guys!! I haven't had a chance to use the winch yet. I did re-spool some line back on it...it's kinda slow...but so am I ;) The mountain trails are closed and will be for a couple more months till the snow melts and the roads dry up. I'll find a place to see how well it works around...
  25. M

Bumper project

ProjectAviator, Yeah, no too many here from Wyoming...Hi Neighbor!! Here's a daytime pic... One more... Working on a pair of recovery rings that will go into the receiver mount. Mike
Back