Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

high idle speed - fixed

Problem fixed - open circuit between IAT and TPS on signal side. Never found breaks but they were somewhere between front of lower manifold where IAT and TPS wires entered larger wiring harness and about 18 inches from PCM connector. Didn't want to remove lower manifold and go through entire...
  2. F

high idle speed - fixed

Throttle plate works fine and TPS gives 1-4.75 volts from closed to WOT, no problem with cables from cruise or pedal. CEL burnt out years ago when original speed sensor went bad and none of the replacements would turn it off. Had the battery disconnected for over 24 hours running tests on all...
  3. F

high idle speed - fixed

My 97 Explorer (4L SOHC, 248K miles) developed high idle speed rather suddenly. Started just fine and idle speed was normal. Drove it about 10 miles, stopped at store and when I put it in park it was idling at 2000 RPM. Waited couple minutes and it didn't drop to normal so turned it off...
  4. F

Pictures of the XLT and Lumbar Question

Check the air lines for leaks first. If they are in good shape, problem is most likely in the switch. The deflate side of the switch opens a valve to release the pressure. The switch tends to get a little gummed up over time with dirt/dust and sticks open a little. You can remove the switch...
  5. F

5R55e - rebuild or replace

Thanks for the valve body info. I think its probably worth a try since its something I can do myself. So what's the difference between a Central Valve vs Wholesale Trans rebuilt at almost 3 times the price and only a 12 month vs lifetime warranty plus Wholesale lets you keep the core. Central...
  6. F

Interior Light Relay Location? couple of other questions

The switches are attached to the latch mechanism on all the doors - both sides on the hatch. They are activated by a cam or lever. You shouldn't have to lube the switch, just the latch. If you really want to get to the switch, you have to remove the latch. Careful with the retaining clip on...
  7. F

Unlocking all doors

Just had this problem on my 99 about 3 months ago. Had half the interior out trying to trace it down. First, try to unlock the doors using the rocker switch in the back. If the doors unlock or you hear the relay click, the relay is okay. If they don't unlock, check the relays for the PAT...
  8. F

99 RWD Singing noise at cruise

If you have basic mechanical abilities, its pretty easy for the outer one. Mark drive shaft and differential yoke for alignment on reassembly. Remove rear drive shaft from differential yoke being sure not to allow needle bearing caps to fall off U-joint (recommend taping them on). Remove yoke...
  9. F

Well, guess that's what happens when you get old and try to remember things past yesterday. Should have remembered about those relays from when I hunted down the battery saver relay a few years ago. Can't help with which one does what but you can test them with an ohm meter and use some small...
  10. F

warm a/c sometimes

Though not absolute, this can help you check if refrigerant is low: Start vehicle, let warm up a few minutes, open windows, put selector on A/C (NOT Max A/C), blower on high, open hood and listen/watch for compressor to cycle on and off (you can hear it click on/off). If its a warm day and...
  11. F

I'm not positive on this but that relay might be in the back with the PAT box (driver side in front of rear wheel well). The interior lights are suppose to come on when the vehicle is unlocked with the remote or keyless entry pad (lights work when either of these activated?). I think this...
  12. F

Ford explorer fuel filter

Don't know if they all do but your '00 should since the 97-01 models are pretty much the same. You'll need to push something in there to move that spring or you'll never get it pulled apart. Most of these fittings do have a clip on them. You'll have to pry it off if its on there. Never seen...
  13. F

99 RWD Singing noise at cruise

Check the pinion bearings. The outer one tends to get pitted on these things. Had to replace in my 97 and 99. Fairly cheap, easy fix and no more whine. Replace the gear oil too and visually check the gears for damage or pitting while the plate is off.
  14. F

Ford explorer fuel filter

This is a couple days late so you probably have the filter changed by now but maybe this will help someone else. Buy the plastic sleeves designed for these fittings. All you're doing is pushing a round spring out of the way of the ring on the stem that fits into the fuel line. Push the...
  15. F

Reverse is almost gone - takes some added RPMs to get it moving. Won't drop to 1st in drive - have to manually downshift then upshift. Seems to work through gears fine when manually shifted and no slippage. No early symptoms, happened suddenly. I change the auto trans fluid and filter in all...
  16. F

I was leaning toward the used trans since I could install it myself and save on labor. Always wanted to try a trans rebuild and figured I could attempt that on the one I take out and have it for my 99 when the trans goes on it (182,000 so could be any time) or the used one doesn't last long...
  17. F

You never know about any repair shop. That's why I do almost all repairs myself. I don't know much about auto trans so didn't think a rebuild was within my abilities. I was shown an invoice for the parts from the Ford dealer dated during the time the vehicle was in the shop though.
  18. F

All the recommended updates to the valve body were suppose to have been made with the rebuild as I specifically asked about this due to the info I got about the trans on this site. I assume it was done. The rebuild included a master kit, 3 bands, pressure switch, neutral switch, overdrive...
  19. F

Having problems with the transmission in my 97 Explorer. Its got 212,00 miles on it and the trans was rebuilt at 162,000. With this mileage on it, would it be best to replace it with a used one with 80,000 or rebuild again? Replacement with the used one is about $300 cheaper than the rebuild...
  20. F

1997 Explorer transmission-no reverse, won't downshift

Just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone can give possible cause. Is it worth trying a VB rebuild before doing another full trans rebuild?
  21. F

overdrive wont turn off!

There's a clamp on the steering column near the base of the gear shift lever that holds the wire from the OD button. The wire flexes at this clamp and can break over time. Remove the plastic steering column shrouds and check continuity of wires from OD button to steering column contacts with...
  22. F

Wet driver floorboard

Check the drain holes for the sun roof also to be sure they are not blocked. There's one on each front corner of the sun roof. Debris sometimes collects in front of front of drain hole and blocks water drainage. If they get blocked, channel will fill with water and run over. Sun roof weather...
  23. F

1997 Explorer transmission-no reverse, won't downshift

While going up a mountain yesterday, lost all trans power when it automatically tried to downshiift from OD to drive. Trans works in all gears when manually shifted (except reverse) but it won't downshift on its own. When vehicle is stopped, have to manually shift to 1st to get it rolling then...
  24. F

leaking sunroof

Even though the drain holes may not be clogged, the drain tube attached to it may be. To check if the drain is working properly, open the moonroof and use a measuring cup to pour about 1/2 cup of water around the edge on the two front corners where the drain holes are. If the water doesn't...
  25. F

driver door actuator replacement on 97 explorer

Don't have any pictures but its not too difficult. Be sure the window is up, remove the door panel, then peel back the dust seal. The actuator is on the bottom of the door and mounted in a spring clip with a rubber covering. Unplug the wiring harness on the actuator but be careful with the...
Back