Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Ticking going up hill on freeway

Update: Switched to 89 octane and all pings are gone. Everything is much much smoother now and the truck accelerates very nicely. I'm going on my trip tomorrow morning and I feel confident I won't have any issues with a full load.
  2. M

I think I've finally eliminated most of my horrendous ping. Over the past few months I've done: 1. Switched to 91 gas - fixed it for about a month, then ping came back 2. Changed plugs and wires - Got much better, but the ping still there 3. Seafoam in the tank - Couldn't tell a difference 4...
  3. M

Ok, after a few days driving the car, the ping is still there but not as bad. Going to change the wires, seafoam the tank and go from there.
  4. M

Yes, I fixed my ping today. Just like the OP, I was getting serious ping going uphill, freeway onramps and accelerating on the freeway. I put in 91 octane and it cured it for a month or so. I just changed my plugs today and the old ones were gapped at .065! Gapped the new ones at .054 and took...
  5. M

Changing Spark Plugs on 91-94 Explorer

Thanks for this. Good move on removing the wheel to get to that passenger side plug. It was a cinch after that.
  6. M

Help diagnose my braking issue

Thanks. I guess new calipers are next on the to-do list.
  7. M

It was definitely brown when I bled them. I flushed it until it was clear. The pads had serious wear on only one of the pads so I guess it is sticking somewhere. Are new calipers needed or is there a way to free up the movement?
  8. M

The truck has 210K miles. They have not been replaced or rebuilt since I've owned it. (3yrs)
  9. M

I'll double check the pins.
  10. M

Thanks for the links. That how-to was pretty much how mine went. Spindle nut was torqued down with the correct torque. Retaining pins appear to be in good condition and went it without too much trouble, but were still very tight.
  11. M

1993 Ford Explorer Limited The problem is when I first start driving when the brakes are cold. Any pressure over 30% on the pedal will lock the brakes and bring the car into a skid. The brakes are REALLY grabby. After a few minutes of driving, this will go away and all returns to normal. This...
  12. M

Anti Theft Light Flashing On Dash , Car wont start.

Is there a fuel cutoff switch on this model? My 93 has a fuel cutoff underneath the carpet at the front passenger side. It may need to be reset. Sounds like a fuel issue if it's cranking but not starting.
  13. M

<sigh>Explorer jumps out of gear

Hehe, figured I'd come back and post an update on the issue. Turns out I had to get the tranny rebuilt. New 1-2, 3-4 solenoids, new torque converter. $1100 later, it runs great.
  14. M

Power Window Bushing Replacement

I also have a '93 and the bushings I used were from Autozone in the 'Help' section. They fit perfectly. I used the ones that were suggested in this thread. It will be a tight fight but they do fit. The fronts were alot tighter than the rear. Maybe put a little grease on the bushings.
  15. M

How to: 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement

I also have a '93 and the bushings I used were from Autozone in the 'Help' section. They fit perfectly. I used the ones that were suggested in this thread. It will be a tight fight but they do fit. The fronts were alot tighter than the rear. Maybe put a little grease on the bushings.
  16. M

Ok thanks. I'll go take a look again. I swear I didn't see them. I have the speakers out right now.
  17. M

Ok thanks. I'll go take a look again. I swear I didn't see them. I have the speakers out right now.
  18. M

On my '93 fronts, I didn't notice the dimples as in the back doors. I just started to drill out the rivets (3 total I believe) but had to stop because my bit was dull. Am I doing it right?
  19. M

On my '93 fronts, I didn't notice the dimples as in the back doors. I just started to drill out the rivets (3 total I believe) but had to stop because my bit was dull. Am I doing it right?
  20. M

Good idea. That's definitely a good start. Keep em coming.. :)
  21. M

92 Explorer, Auto transmission. Mileage shows ~86K on the odometer but since it doesn't go past 99K, it could be 186K. I was not the original owner. This frustrating problem started happening 2 weeks ago. I will start the truck up and start driving. It drives ok, until I get to the next stop...
  22. M

Anyone know if this will work on a 93 LE??
  23. M

Anyone know if this will work on a 93 LE??
Back