Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

A4LD slips when cold

No good news about the A4LD from me. My second A4LD went on me. We changed the truck over to manual and it worked great for while then I started having other problems like TFI, then Computer, etc. etc. and the last was a cracked head After the 6th trip home on a rollback I sold the truck. I...
  2. O

A4LD Servos

A 318 Dakota what I was looking for when I saw the Ranger. The Ranger caught my eye because it was in such good shape. Just a little rust around the rear wheel wells. It's a hy rider, just has a nice look to it. Other than the rust on the wells, the truck appeared almost new. No rust underneath...
  3. O

A4LD Servos

It's pretty evident I don't know what I'm doing. I used to rebuild Torque Flites and also some Packard Ultra matics. But that was back a few years ago when I could see and move around. I'm thinking I'm too old and crippled up to keep screwing with this A4LD. It's pure torture working on cars...
  4. O

A4LD Servos

I finally got the trans back together and back in the truck. I have no reverse. Everything else seems normal. My son and I were thinking the reverse band could need adjusted but it got dark before we could try that. I had a tough time getting my torque wrench to read ten ft. lbs. and I'm not...
  5. O

A4LD Servos

BrooklynBay, I ordered the plastic type from WIT. The Sonnax paper I got with the valve upgrade says the plastic was better than the bronze. I remember years ago putting plastic sprockets on my son's BMX bike. I thought they wouldn't last but they outlasted almost every thing on the bike...
  6. O

A4LD Servos

Moving along here and now hit another snag. I need a selective washer Ford part# 89DT-7D014-MA. It's the .087 thick selective washer. Local Ford dealer said it was no longer available. I'm trying to get one thru a local rebuilder but no luck so far. Anybody know where I can get one ?
  7. O

A4LD Servos

BrooklynBay, Thank you. We weren't sure about how far down the shell was supposed to go. We checked and re-checked everything we did and couldn't find a screwup any where. We had this thing apart and together so many times that my son dreamed about transmission parts last nite. The shell...
  8. O

A4LD Servos

I started to asemble my trans today and I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.How far down onto the reverse high/ clutch is the shell assy supposed to fit. Mine goes almost the whole way down, there's about a .9 gap between the lugs and shell. My son and I have gone over the thing about...
  9. O

A4LD Servos

Transmission Parts U.S.A. didn't have the rear planet and some of the other hard parts. But, later today I was told about a local place here in Harrisburg that handled used parts. Gave them a call and had a nice talk with a man that seemed to know a lot about the A4LD. They salvage...
  10. O

A4LD Servos

Looking for parts.
  11. O

A4LD Servos

I got most of my things from Transmission Parts U.S. A., over the internet. The best prices by far that I have been able to find. The local Ford Dealer doesn't seem very interested in selling me any parts, so I won't go back there. There are a couple others in the area, I may try them if I run...
  12. O

A4LD Servos

I think maybe I got myself into a mess. I have two A4LD trannys and both seem to be some kind of abortion compared to what the manuals show should be in them. One is a 1989 and the other a 1990. Both have the aluminum 3 gear rear planetary. Both are missing spacers at one point or another...
  13. O

A4LD Servos

I found the letters on the inside of the servo instead of the outside like the pictures show. More than likely most already know this but I'm not that familiar with A4Ld's. Long, long ago, I rebuilt a Packard Ultra Matic and a few TorqueFlites but they seemed simple compared to the A4LD. Just...
  14. O

A4LD Servos

I'm finally getting around to rebuilding my A4LD. I have all the special tools rounded up and have gone over Glacier and Brains posts several times. However, I can't find any letters or numbers cast on my intermediate and O.D. servos that look anything like the numbers in any of the manuals I...
  15. O

Ranger Stalls

I have an 89' Ranger 2.9 with the A4LD trans. It was running fine and when I went to start it , it kept stalling every time I put it in gear. It starts and revs fine but as soon as it's placed in gear, it stalls. I've done some looking around and checked all the info I have on this and I'm...
  16. O

Racerback Question

I have a chance to buy a Racerback for my 1989 Ranger Supercab. It off a regular cab Ranger and when I researched them, there is a different part number for the two cabs. Does anyone know if there's a difference and if there is, what is it? I don't want to make the trip for it if it won't fit...
  17. O

A4LD Rebuild it or get another tranny

If you've seen any other threads by me you know I've been considering rebuilding my A4LD. It went bad last fall and I put a used one in the truck until I got this one done. Today I got into it and I'm not sure what I have. It looks like somebody took the original case and put some older...
  18. O

A4LD Bellhousing Bushing Question

Glacier, Thanks for the all the work you did on your rebuild. That was quite a project, I throughly enjoyed reading it and have it all on my favorites so I can get to it fast, must have read and re-read the whole thing a dozen times. I think I can get this done. my only problem is...
  19. O

No complaints on the price from me. however, I should kick myself for tearing my tranny apart. It lost all gears last fall so I bought another one (used) and put it in and it leaks like a sieve. So I thought I'd rebuild the first one. I can find nothing wrong with it causing me to think it was...
  20. O

Glacier, I got an email from them and the Ph.# changed. The new number is 1-864-574-6101. they're still doing the A4LD bellhousings and the price in $50 + shipping.
  21. O

I have a bellhousing I need to get line bored so the seal doesn't leak and I can't get ahold of Precision Technologies. Anybody know if they're still in business and how to contact them?
  22. O

A4LD slips when cold

You can try a flush but I just put my tans in last Fall and it had new fluid, filter, etc. and it still slips when first starting out on cold days. I mentioned about putting an extra quart of fluid and it stopping the slipping. Somebody else mentioned about the pump not working right. Now I'm...
  23. O

A4LD slips when cold

I put a quart of fluid in mine and it straightened right out. It measures as a little above full but when I put this tranny in, I noticed the dipstick and tube were different. Seems as though it has to be a little over to work correctly. It's been a couple days now and it's still working good.
  24. O

A4LD slips when cold

Thanks, I was all through this last summer when my tranny quit on me. I came across a good used set up that included a 2.9 motor, a4ld, transfer case, both shafts and a lot of other parts for $185. It was from a totaled 1990 and I was looking for the quickest way out. The master plan was...
  25. O

A4LD slips when cold

I'm having the same problem on cold days. It slips when pulling out in low and once it warms up after 2 or 3 stops, it works perfect. My tranny is a used one that I put in last summer. It worked fine until cold weather set in. A couple things I'm wondering about,,,, 1.not sure I got the...
Back