Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Kevlar7R

FREE - Hitch, Drive Shaft, Damper

Actually already got rid of the hitch, now just the drive shaft and damper. They go in the trash if no one wants them.
  2. Kevlar7R

FREE - Hitch, Drive Shaft, Damper

I'm moving and need to get rid of some parts. FREE, just come get them, in Chandler. Drawtite hitch for Second Gen. No bolts, so you'd have to get some new ones. Rear drive shaft from Mountaineer AWD. Not sure what other models it would fit. Maybe someone can chime in on that? Rear axle...
  3. Kevlar7R

ford explorer 1995 fuel tank

The reservoir you are describing is probably better described as a baffle. Mine had broken loose from the bottom of the tank, and I had lots of problems. The truck would stall while braking if the fuel was 1/4 or below. Also, if I parked nose-down, I couldn't start it at all with a low tank. I...
  4. Kevlar7R

A/C Compressor Clutch not engaging?

the clutch itself may have failed. The clutch is the black disk you dont see spinning. Under it is an electromagnet, that when enegerized, pulls in the disk and engages the compressor. Usually there is a single wire going in right behind the belt pulley. Unplug this and put 12v on it with a...
  5. Kevlar7R

Largest tire size for a stock 97 explorer 4x4 with 17 inch wheels

there are more threads on this than we can count. Always use the search button before posting to avoid sarcastic replies like this.
  6. Kevlar7R

2002 Explorer, loud thumping. diagnosis...

Good job. Unfortunately, the real lesson here, is dont do business with friends or "mechanics." any REPUTABLE tire shop would have refused to sell you only 2 tires for your vehicle. You're very lucky that you're friend's repair didn't destroy your transfer case or differentials. I...
  7. Kevlar7R

HF now sells Badlands Winches for offroad

So don't buy it. :dunno: I was just sharing info I found.
  8. Kevlar7R

HF now sells Badlands Winches for offroad

HF has 2 new coupons out in the mail home flier, good till 4/15. 9000lb, $282.99 12000lb, $319.99 Not the best price they've ever had, but still big discount off of shelf price!
  9. Kevlar7R

Arizona run - Planning

Mine is not without problems. It's on its 3rd transmission, the tcase leaks a bit, the passenger side manifold leaks or is cracked, not sure which. Otherwise, she's a strong consistent beast. And surefooted as a Billy goat. Managed to follow rick through some moderate stuff. Stuck like glue...
  10. Kevlar7R

Arizona run - Planning

Right on. I've been wondering how long till the thing breaks and falls off. Just keeps staying on! I like it, so I don't mind.
  11. Kevlar7R

Arizona run - Planning

Sorry rick, I've been off the site for a few weeks. Since I got my new mini cooper I've been spending my time playing with that, and haven't thought about my truck. Add to that that I got my boat back from the fiberglass shop on Saturday and it looks amazing. Had to take it to the lake...
  12. Kevlar7R

help anyone? my wheel snapped off what parts do i need

your lower control arm is probably bent, possibly the steering knuckle too. You said the steering had no effect? Is the rack still connected to the tie rods and steering knuckles? Let's see some pics!
  13. Kevlar7R

Yikes!! I need help

Check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail before you go dropping the tank. Either get the gauge and do it right, or do like I do, use a screw driver to press the shraeder valve and stay out of the way of the fuel spray. Live dangerously. Lol.
  14. Kevlar7R

New member with a serious brake problem

Which is it? A brake problem or an axle seal problem?
  15. Kevlar7R

Eatc

English - metric is my guess too. Maybe he didn't notice the display change, because he was looking for some other mechanical change. Also, the defroster uses the ac to dry the air before blowing it on the windshield. If you turn on your defroster with the ac disconnected, it will likely make...
  16. Kevlar7R

Front End Wanders // Steering is Fine.

Hub is a possibility, but worn tires and/or bad shocks are another likely culprit. Really stretching, but worn rear leaf spring bushings could potentially do that, by allowing the rear axle to shift around, and be pointing a different direction than the front tires.
  17. Kevlar7R

Yikes!! I need help

Yup, change the fuel filter first.... But if that doesn't fix it, you may need a fuel filter sock, and/or a fuel pump.....and those are in the tank. Plenty of threads on here for getting to the pump.
  18. Kevlar7R

98 Explorer Problem - CV or Hub?

Go find a dirt road and drive the same way, but in 4wd. Is the sound the same? Also, try driving the same speed, but in a different gear (perhaps 2nd) and see if it's the same. Does the sound change at all when the transmission shifts? The reason turdle asked which truck, the awd ones...
  19. Kevlar7R

Your wife was driving? How could you hear it over the screaming..... Your screaming. Lol
  20. Kevlar7R

Noises can be misleading when you're hearing them from in the truck, but you said the noise was passenger side. The pinion is basically right under the drivers feet. There are a lot of other bearings in there that could make noise. Also, the pinion bearing is unlikely to make much noise when...
  21. Kevlar7R

Vulture Mine Trail and China Dam Pics

Wow Rick, you got those up quick! Had a great time and it was good to meet you. My truck looks tiny next to the great pumpkin!
  22. Kevlar7R

I would suggest jack up the passenger side only, and rotate the wheel by hand. Listen for hub noises, but also put your hand on the back, stationary part of the hub and feel for grinding within the hub. Pull the abs sensor and look at the end of it. It should be clean. If there is a build up...
  23. Kevlar7R

Embarrassing fix..

you also could probably fix it with a crowbar, by just bending the exhaust over a bit.
  24. Kevlar7R

97 5.0 mountaineer own 9 years "help on cluster lights out???

If memory serves, there are somewhere between 6 and 8 wires going in/out the summer switch. They feed to different areas. Could be that the switch has partially failed.
  25. Kevlar7R

97 5.0 mountaineer own 9 years "help on cluster lights out???

sounds like similar symptoms to when my dimmer switch failed. The switch is pulse width modulated, not voltage modulated, which means it is difficult to test with a meter. It shows 12 volts even if it is bad. I used a paperclip to back probe and jumper mine for years, then finally grabbed...
Back