Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Bought a project & my mechanic is gonna hate me- so a lil help before I bring to him?

For the 21+ crowd, grab a beer and put your thinkin hats on- this is a dousey (did I spell that right?). Background on me is the owner of a 2003 Ford Explorer 4WD with just under 230K on the orig engine and tranny and most else- bought it at 62k in 06. But this thread has nothing to do with that...
  2. R

going to buy explorer.

Some of these people are ridiculous... I'm on this thread to get some legit opinions on the 4th gen explorer and what to look for. Stay away from this car forever? A little extreme. I'm looking to replace my 2003 Explorer Limited. I have the V6 and instead of repairing it, I'm looking for...
  3. R

How many miles on the timing chains typically 4.0L

Bought my 03 in 06 with 60K on it. I started hearing a little rattle here and there around 150k. I still hear it a little more often depending on the conditions around (whether its been running or cold or its hot or cold out). I now have 212K miles on the orig chains. I plan on buying another...
  4. R

Fuel Gauge Problem

Actually NO! I believe there is only 6 or 9 of them... If you look in your manual there is a diagram. They are big and chunky fuses. There are a few places for fuses on the drivers side and this particular group of fuses is one of the worst to find and work on (per 2 Ford mechanics). Its tucked...
  5. R

Fuel Gauge Problem

mranderson214, same thing here on my 03. I have 212K miles on her and im sure its the orig unit. Here is my situation; grab a beer, its a story. I put LED tail lights in and suddenly the relay needed to be replaced with an LED relay. That's fine, I did it 4 years ago. My O.C.D. kicked in and I...
  6. R

HVAC system clicking sound no heat!?

Although big rhondo is amazing and did an excellent job, I will tell you that I have never gotten a quote as low as $500 to have it done... Ford dealer #1 said $1126, Ford dealer #2 said $953 and the Ford dealer I usually service with said $740. My non dealer mechanic said anywhere from...
  7. R

How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem

I had him look at the whole wire harness when he was in there, and he said he didn't see any other severed wires so im still lookin into the headlight issue... but the alarm works as it should- I locked my doors with the drivers window down and a minute after opened the door and it went off as...
  8. R

Not dumb by any means. Im the idiot for not mentioning that I had done that this second time around. It worked beforehand so it was the first thing I did when it started happening intermittantly on this occasion. I think im gonna bite the bullet and have my mechanic take the door apart. I pulled...
  9. R

Alright Bigrondo, I’ve finally come around to asking for your assistance as you seem to be one of the most, if not the most knowledgeable on here- or if anyone else can help for that matter id be more than grateful. My 03 V6 XLT is currently having some symptoms that maybe you can help figure...
  10. R

Who is disappointed with their EX?

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport. It has been the 2nd best/most reliable vehicle I have owned. My 2001 Taurus I gave to my younger brother when it turned 200k and he totaled it at 278k a year and a half later- no major repairs. ever. I had bought 7 other vehicles since I purchased this and...
  11. R

05 explorer keyless entry pad

dont know much about part numbers but- im fairly certain this is to an Expedition/Navigator. This particular pad looks to fit in the window door trim on the 03+ models. Fairly certain it wouldn't fit an Explorer- and if it does, your numbers will be sideways as the Explorer/Mounty/Aviators are...
  12. R

4.6L Engine Removal

semi off topic question.... is the crown vic v8 the same as the explorer v8? Feel like it might be an easy find for you in that case as there are **** tons of vics out there.. You'll already have the engine out ready for a swap... But then I guess your dumping more $$ into another engine...
  13. R

Help... Automatic headlights wont shut off!

I dont know when it started, or why it started but here we go... 03 XLT V6. I have the automatic sensor lights. When they are activated (cause its dark out obviously), they go on like normal. Great. Then- ill shut off the truck and unless I turn them off manually they stay on for 3 minutes...
  14. R

Looking at 02 explorer

Well, I dont quite agree with the stay away from the V6's... a neighbor has an 03 V8 mounty and its a clunky truck. My 03 V6 4WD is awesome. With 191k on the clock, i still have the orig engine and tranny with NO major repairs. Orig timing chain, no rebuild in the tranny ever just regular...
  15. R

Melted Liscence Plate socket

Dude... me too! When i changed the bulbs I noticed it... a few years ago. I dolled up a friends mounty to go to auction and i pulled a scumbag move... (it was a turd: needed tranny, brakes, trashed interior even after I dolled it up and rust holes everywhere) I clipped the license plate pig...
  16. R

New To Us 2004 Mercury Mountaineer

I dont know anything about the type of fluids, but I would recommend doing a couple things right away- just to keep you in top shape... PCM flash! Its $90 at my ford dealer, and on another ford they did it for free cause it already had the most recent upgrade. Tranny flush and filter (did one at...
  17. R

Crack Tailgate By Mercury Emblem

My 2003 x has 191k and has NEVER cracked... now that I said that im sure it will... Ironically enough, my 2005 Aviator is cracked. I feel like bondo would generally be the way to go. BUT it has a custom painted pin stripe thing and would have to take it off and redo it or take it off completely-...
  18. R

blend door help? or something else?

Well I was thinking of doing the blend door... About a year ago when I was digging around here I saw alot about the blend door so I asked 2 different dealers- both said minimum of $800 but probably closer to $1200... but thanks to bigrhondo im for sure going to do it on my own. I figured that as...
  19. R

blend door help? or something else?

Im thinkin I might need to do the blend door, which Ill follow the write up- ok fine- but Im not sure if thats quite my problem. This is probably easy diagnosis for somone here. Simply put, my fan doesnt work on #2. On 1 its fine, low. switch it to 2- no change. switch it to 3 and it blasts out...
  20. R

Is this the blend door actuator?

gsma... dear god please tell me your kidding... i have that EXACT NOISE in my aviator. its whenever I change the hvac direction! whenever the ac/heat is on it blows to the floor (in addition to the defrost or upper vents). i think im gonna have to take it in to the stearship some day to have the...
  21. R

2nd Row seats in Avaitor

hey ripper. theres some people on here that have done that swap... usually from the 7 pass to 6 pass. ultimately, it should be a direct swap. if you get a used middle seat just make sure you get the belts with it... kinda a plug and play. the outboard seats in your 6 pass Aviator are the same as...
  22. R

Prospective Aviator Buyer

UHaul WILL rent to Mountaineers and Aviators. My buddy is in the Air Force and was getting stationed back home...from AZ to upstate NY. I took the week off to help him. I decided- hey, even though our tax dollars are paying for the trip- ill take my Explorer instead of the Aviator to get better...
  23. R

Prospective Aviator Buyer

Eatpuppies, did you get an Aviator?? or Navigator? I bought an 05 Aviator about a year ago... and it hurts to say it, but its a golden turd. Literally. Its NOT just a spruced up Explorer like EVERYONE says. I would know, I have an 03 Explorer. They are night and day in every aspect- except where...
  24. R

Where did the AC go?

see blend door fixes... im so sorry that that is probably your problem. Do it yourself even if your not that mechanically inclined, instructions on here somewhere- with pictures! Its a 800-1100 fix at ford... that was my quote. never got it fixed because it stopped acting up. will do it some day...
  25. R

Can a bad PCM make a tranny fail?

i dont know if it would make it fail...currently @ 190k on my 03- orig tranny, no rebuild. I did a pcm flash @ 160 i think and it made an amazing difference- shifted smoother. I flushed @ 100, 150, and will again at 200.
Back