Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 0

'02 Mountaineer AWD transmission's any better???

Looking to buy an '02 Mountaineer AWD - V8 - with 70K. Are the transmissions in these just as bad as the '02 Explorer's? Had an '02 Explorer that was starting to slip and traded it in awhile ago. I'm hoping to hear something positive about the trans. for the AWD system being alot better...
  2. 0

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

I've noticed some of the guys with '02's or newer are doing transmission filter canges. My question is how are you replacing the fluid if there isn't a dipstick to refill through? And thanks for all the replies. I sold mine about 2 yrs ago because the tranny slipped on me three times doing...
  3. 0

Insight needed on '98 Sport purchase

Just sold my '03 Explorer and was looking for a better mpg car when I spotted a very clean '98 Expl. 2dr sport loaded w/ pwr, sunroof & new tires. Asking $3999 w/ 65K miles. I know the new generation '02+ Ex. have a bad rep w/ the encased 5sp. auto trans. but how do the '96-01 trannys compare...
  4. 0

Emergency brake won't light when set!!!!

Okay, I found the switch right on the kick panel at the top of the lever. Everytime I touched the top portion the light would come on but go out when I reset the brake. I removed the switch and sprayed some wd-40 on it, reintstalled and walah! she's working again. What a simplistic looking...
  5. 0

Thx, I'll try to check it Sunday...anyone else have any insight??? 02XLS
  6. 0

2002 Exploder XLS V6 - 74K miles OK, I was driving to the inspection station to get my Explorer inspected and then I realized that the emergency brake light isn't working. Never friggggging fails. Everytime I take a car to the inspection station something goes wrong. Anyway the e-brake...
  7. 0

Transmission slip when cold

my tranny has 68K....Any idea what the servos n PCM flash repairs cost? Since the servos is located on the outside iof the tranny can an 'above average novice' make this repair/replacement? Thx, 02XLS
  8. 0

What 'n where is that located?
  9. 0

In the last two months I've noticed twice that the transmission felt like it was slipping into second and revving to high into third. It only happen twice in two months after I would pull out of my driveway and drive a block. Also, the second time the engine had been idling for about 7 minutes...
  10. 0

Passenger side blowing warm a/c air?

Ok, I tested the charge again and it was down to around 28....Gave a can of R134 and all seems well. Pass. side reads about 60 vs driver side 55, ok by me!!! 02XLS
  11. 0

Passenger side blowing warm a/c air?

2002 Explorer XLS....Passenger side vents are not as cold with a/c on. (manual a/c unit) Tested charge and it shows 40 vs 45 being a full charge. Could my gauge be wrong? The rear passenger air vents feel real cold as well as the driver side middle & side vents but the front pass. middle...
  12. 0

Fuel Filter tool not working!!!!!!

I tried again yesterday to no avail....what a PITA!!! I tried the pliers tip and it did help get the tool in about 1/8" further but I guess not deep enough. I just can't seem to get the proper leverage with both hands on the fuel lines & tool while laying flat on my back with my 02 on...
  13. 0

4X4 vs 4X2 fuel mileage

I get 15 -17mpg around town w/ my '02 XLS 4X4 - 4.0l. I think you have other issues. 10-12 around town even for a big V6 is way too low. :salute:
  14. 0

Never seen pliers with a plastic end..still sounds confusing...
  15. 0

Nah..I have not tried round #3 yet!!....I know I'd have a better shot at it if I had it up on a lift. I'm just too big to get both hands in the proper position from laying on my back when I have my '02 on ramps. Gotta work the next few days so I will try again on Thurs.....stay tuned! :us...
  16. 0

I gave up after another 45 minutes of trying everyones advice, push both together, then pull, etc... If anyone has anymore ideas please chime in...Thx, 02XLS
  17. 0

I tried both sides and even used the tool on the new filter to make sure I was using the correct size....I think I was suppose to push the fuel line into the tool then push the tool into the line and it would be removed.
  18. 0

Got everything apart and can't get my fuel filter removal tool to work. The two lines on the left came off easily. But trust me when I say I tried for "two hours" trying to push the tool under the fuel line. I'm no weakling...I'm 6'0" 300lbs and strong as an angry ape(played college footbal...
  19. 0

'02 Explorer Trans Fluid Change???

I asked my mechanic to do a trans. fluid flush/change on my '02 Explorer and he said he called the dealership and was told that the '02 Explorer is a sealed case and does not need a flush/change. True or False? Don't see why the dealership would lie nor my mechanic turn down a chance to make...
  20. 0

door locks sticking with key fob

lock responds fine manually.....
  21. 0

door locks sticking with key fob

'02 XLS....My driver side door lock is not unlocking after my XLS sits over night when using the remote key fob. Temps. are in the 40's so its not frozen. I can unlock it just fine using the key. And it is not locking when using the key fob sometimes. All other locks work fine with the...
  22. 0

replacing timing chain???...Costs???

WOW!!!!!....3 days and no replies yet.....C'mon fellas
  23. 0

Problems with Door Locks / Ajar

Unreal how common this happens.....Of all the wires in drivers door its always the black wire that breaks. Is this a conspiracy from Ford to increase service repairs????? Makes you wonder...there has to be over 30 different wires behind the door and its always the thick black one that breaks...
  24. 0

replacing timing chain???...Costs???

What is the reccommneded time to replace the timing chain in a '02 Explorer 4.0 motor? Costs inc. mechanics labor? I read at another forum that the timing chain does not need to be replaced until you hear the chain slapping. Whatever that sounds like!!! Thx, 02XLS.....:us: :salute:
Back