Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Steering shaft replacement

I'm having a problem with my steering where it will get real hard, almost like the pump went out, and it's also very jerky and not smooth. I don't think it's the pump as it is making no noise at all. My sheering shaft does have a lot of play however. I'm thinking the u-joint is getting bound...
  2. H

Adjusting toe to fix steering wheel alignment

Guys, Would it be safe to use the "string method" to adjust the alignment of my steering wheel and ensure that the toe is still good? My alignment is fine now but the steering wheel is off and it bugs me.
  3. H

What would cause this delayed start? *video*

I've had this problem since I've had this truck. It takes an extra second to fire. Sometimes it stumbles a bit too. However, it has never NOT fired. I was thinking it was the camshaft position sensor/syncronizer at first, but now I'm not sure. What do you guys think? (sound is kind of...
  4. H

Heat/AC only comes thru middle vents, AC only works on MAX

Help a brother out with this! I've read quite a few threads on common AC issues but I can't pinpoint my problem. Basically the blower motor and blower motor resistor are fine. AC and heat comes thru the middle vents only, nothing seems to come out of the side vents. AC also only works on MAX...
  5. H

V8 experts...help me with power steering line

I've been having issues with my power steering lately...it is really rough for a few days, almost like the pump is about to fail completely, then it'll work perfectly for a few days. The steering action is very inconsistent and rough, almost like there is air in the system. I took a look under...
  6. H

Hitch swapability

Guys, My dad has a hitch on his 2000 Limited that he does not use and wants to remove because it's rusting. I want to put it on my truck...would it bolt up? Frame rails will be the same but I wasn't sure if the bolt holes would like up, etc. I know nothing about hitches.
  7. H

Stabilizing my temp gauge

My temp gauge cycles from the middle of the gauge to about 1/4th of the gauge when my engine is warmed up. It'll go lower once it hits the middle, like the thermostat is opening at that point, then go down, then repeat the cycle. I don't understand the fluctuation, since I have a new...
  8. H

5.0 idler pulley - smooth vs. ribbed

Guys, The main idler pulley on my engine, the one at the top, was shot. This pulley was ribbed. So I went to the parts store and got a replacement, which happens to be a smooth pulley. The pulley works fine and the belt stays in place, but now I have a belt chirp. It will go away for a...
  9. H

The lovely sound of a bolt snapping

Just a warning to all you 5.0 drivers that need to change your water pump...just be prepared to deal with at least one bolt snapping. In my case, I was lucky enough to snap 2 of them. I knew the first couple were coming out way too easy for my luck... Now I have to tear apart the whole...
  10. H

Fan clutch thread direction...

I've read about 10 pages worth on water pumps and removing the fan clutch and I could not find a definitive answer...is the fan attach with standard thread or reverse thread?
  11. H

Replacing water pump plate gasket

I'm about ready to replace my water pump, but I also want to replace the gasket behind the water pump plate (the one between the water pump and timing cover) just as a precaution. Does this plate just sandwich between the pump and the timing cover via the water pump bolts, or is there...
  12. H

How does this plug look

I'm troubleshooting a slight hard start problem so I decided to pull a plug. Looks fine to me. :dunno:
  13. H

Hartman's 1996 5.0 V8 THE GOLDEN GOOSE

As many of you know this is my second Explorer. I sold my old 95 in 08 to buy a car. Well, I have a Mustang GT now and I needed something for winter/rain/zombie apocalypse. Naturally I started looking for another Explorer because I already know quite a bit about them after spending 7 years...
  14. H

How to: Remove EGR valve on early V8

After many frustrations with removing the EGR valve on my 96 V8, mainly involving the lower bolt on the valve, I decided to share some of my experiences. This is a problem with the EGR system on earlier model V8s that have an internal EGR system (no EGR tube, no DPFE). The main problem is the...
  15. H

Stock fuel pressure - 96 V8

Guys, I'm trying to diagnose a hard start problem and I started by checking my fuel pressure, and it's sitting at 32psi at idle, which seems low to me. I've done quite a bit of searching but I can't seem to find the fuel pressure range for an early V8. Does anyone know what the stock range...
  16. H

5.0 egr removal

Searched and saw lots of frustrations on removing the egr, but not a lot of solutions. I don't see how you can get to the bottom bolt without removing the entire intake. I tried to remove just the intake elbow, but there isn't clearance to get the long bolts out. Can anybody post some tricks...
  17. H

Rear uneven due to frame damage, possible fixes

My Explorer has a rebuilt title due to an impact to the passenger side rear that caused some frame damage. No big deal to me, this is just my winter vehicle. However, I noticed that the truck has a lean when looking from the rear. Thought it was the classic Explorer lean (drivers side lower)...
  18. H

Would you buy this truck for $1750?

1995 XLT, 171k
  19. H

Would an incorrect GEM stop the Control Trac from engadging the vac hubs?

Basically I'm trying to get my 4WD system to work. The transfer case engages in LOW, but the vacuum disconnect doesn't seem to be engaging the front wheels. A while ago, I tried to track down a problem with the interior lights and swapped GEMs. I got two new GEMs in total, one of which...
  20. H

95-96 4WDs....I need your help.

For those familiar with the vacuum system/4WD system.... The black plastic ball on the passenger side of the engine bay has vacuum lines coming off of it going somewhere, perhaps to the firewall. Can anybody tell me where those lines go? Mine have disconnected and I can't find the missing...
  21. H

Redoing my exhaust - give me some opinions

I hacked my exhaust off about 5" after my muffler a while ago because a couple exhaust hangers broke loose. It was supposed to be temporary....but here we are a year later :D. I already have a Flowmaster 50 series. Obviously, it's pretty loud, especially in the cabin on the highway and in...
  22. H

think your headlight output sucks?

For only $108.95+28.00 shipping, it can be 75% worse! What a deal. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-00-01-FORD-EXPLORER-CLEAR-BLK-HEADLIGHT-XL-XLT-SPORT_W0QQitemZ8058855033QQcategoryZ33710QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  23. H

Drivers side door will not lock.....

Here's the deal guys, lately my drivers side door lock has been freezing up in the mornings when it's cold, meaning it's real hard to unlock the door with the key. I have to unlock the pass side and press the unlock/lock button a million times to free the drivers side up. Fast forward to...
  24. H

vacuum disconnect question...

The snow is here in Indiana, so I decided to make sure my 4WD is in good working order. I took it to a gravel parking lot to test it out. I can here it engaging, so the shift motor is fine, but I think the vacuum disconnect is not engaging or something because I get no 4WD motion in Auto or...
  25. H

ported or sealed with CVRs

I have a couple 2003 Kicker CompVRs that I want to put back in my truck. In the past I've used sealed boxes with these subs, and they hit hard but the SQ was average. I've been thinking of building a ported box for them to get a little more SQ. Does anybody have any experience with CVRs in a...
Back