Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

HELP! Wandering-Loose-Drifting Steering

I'll bump this old but useful thread. I have replaced the front upper control arms and the outer tie rods, then got an alignment. Although the ball joints on the upper control arms were worn out, replacements did not help the steering wander. Everything else looked okay. I checked the rear wheel...
  2. E

Front End Grinding/Scraping Noise

The viscous couplers do go bad. I replaced mine. The problem occurs when turning, not just decelerating. Vortex Garage has a diagnostic video for the viscous coupler. Check it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZrIBSB_6lA
  3. E

Viscous Coupler replaced successfully

I followed your lead and replaced the viscous coupler with the TC still mounted. In the Mountaineer, a crossmember prevents removal of the back cover completely but I was able to slide it back far enough to swap out the coupler. That is a description of a bad viscous coupler. Here is a...
  4. E

4.0 timing chain

Don't replace the chain guides unless you hear the chain rattling in the 2000-2400 RPM range. Replacing the hydraulic tensioners is good maintenance and 1000 times easier than replacing the guides.
  5. E

Removing Engine Cooling Fan

In case your original question wasn't answered, you need a fan clutch tool kit that contains a 1-7/16" wrench for the nut on the fan clutch. It also contains a large wrench that surrounds all four bolts on the water pump pulley so you can hold it still. You can rent the tool kit from some auto...
  6. E

99 Mounty 4.0 V6 Timing Chain?

I don't know about the growl, but if it is a rattle then it could be the tensioner(s) for the timing chain(s). I just went through a replacement of the tensioner on the primary timing chain in my '02. Your '99 may involve the camshaft chains too. If so, the engine does not have to come out...
  7. E

XL-3 Fricton Modifier

Try it and see if it gets rid of the chatter. You may need more friction modifier. I replaced the gear oil in the rear diff with Redline 75W140, which contains friction modifier. However, it did not have enough. I had to add more. I put in 3 ounces of Amsoil and that is almost enough. I plan...
  8. E

2003 4.0 sohc

AFAIK, the 2002 to 200? don't have the problem with the cam chain tensioners but they do have a problem with the primary chain tensioner. I just replaced the tensioner and guide on my primary timing chain, at 76K miles. If you only replace those, then the job is much simpler than the task...
  9. E

90K Mile Service

Your owners manual should list it in the maintenance section
  10. E

brakes & rotors

I just replaced pads with Performance Friction at 75K. The rotors were so nearly smooth that I didn't turn them. Works great, no squealing, good stopping power.
  11. E

Antifreeze

Change Green coolant to yellow My manual says not to change from green coolant to yellow. Any idea why?
  12. E

Replacing Rear Diff Fluid

My Mounty never had the whine.
  13. E

Replacing Rear Diff Fluid

I put in Redline 75W140 and the low-speed chatter did not go away. Then I added 3 ounces of Amsoil friction modifier (spilled 1 ounce) and the chatter was reduced by about 3/4ths. Someday I'll add a few more ounces and get rid of the rest of the chatter, but it is tolerable now.
  14. E

What have you done to your 02-05 'X' or Mounty today?

Added 3 ounces of Amsoil friction modifier to rear diff (spilled 1 ounce). It reduced the shudder by about 3/4ths. Wish I hadn't spilled some.
  15. E

Emergency brake.

Mine cost some time, but required no parts at all. The parking brake shoes have a manual adjuster. As the shoes wear, you have to turn the adjuster wheel to spread the shoes. However, they don't wear much because the disc is not usually turning when you apply the parking brake. I had no...
Back