Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Eltee

Slow Speed Clicking / Clopping Noise

2013 XLT. Well maintained. Has a click/clopping noise (actually sounds like a horse walking) at low speeds. Prominent in quiet area like a parking lot or when driving close to a wall. Synched to speed. Not super loud. Did a search here, nothing quite applicable. Any advice appreciated.
  2. Eltee

Mounting Under Dash 2 Way Radio

I need to mount a two way radio in my XLT. I searched the HAM and CB threads here but nothing really matched what I need. The radio I am using does not have a remote controller or detachable head, it's an old school one piece Motorola. I am thinking under the dash to the right of the steering...
  3. Eltee

Low Profile Rooftop Cargo Basket

I did a search, nothing definitive. Looking for a rooftop cargo basket but one that is not too tall and does not extend beyond the width of the Explorer. I do not have the crossbars and wondering if it is better to buy OEM crossbars or get them from the cargo basket supplier. I want the overall...
  4. Eltee

Mystery Hole

I am looking for a way to route a two way antenna cable from the back of the roof through the vehicle and coming out somewhere near the driver's side. I found this hole with a rubber plug on the upper left side of the rear when the hatch is open. There is something that looks like fabric rolled...
  5. Eltee

Current tire suggestions requested

I looked through many of the 30 + threads on tires that come up on search. Nothing I found was current or specific to my needs. I have a 2013 XLT, pretty much stock. I have 18" steel rims off the PIU. My current tires are Michelin P245 / 60 R18. I've moved to Nevada and there are all sorts of...
  6. Eltee

Hot Weather Battery

I recently moved to Nevada where locals say the summer heat cuts average battery life in half. Two local auto repair shops and online research confirm this, as do the laws of physics and chemistry. I checked here for battery recommendations. Some folks liked the Optima Red Top but none of the...
  7. Eltee

Problem with Dealer and Added On Nav?

I went through several navigation threads inc. those about adding navigation but could not find a specific answer to this. I bought my '13 XLT without Navigation used from a local Ford dealership. They told me Nav could not be added. Other dealers told me the same. I added Nav using that system...
  8. Eltee

Phonebook Download Problems

I have a new phone, the Motorola Z2 Force. So far a great phone but some compatibility issues with the Ford Sync, specifically phonebook. Ford's site shows that this series of phones will not automatically download contacts to Sync. I'm not much of an electronics guide but searching the web...
  9. Eltee

Naming a Paired / Synced Phone

I just bought a new phone. I deleted my original phone from Sync and paired the new one. It works fine but I can't remember how to change the name of the phone on the car's screen. The dealer set up my original phone when I bought the vehicle and the screen would show "Gary's Phone." Now the...
  10. Eltee

2020 PIU

This Is the 2020 Ford Explorer (In Cop-Car Form, at Least)! | News | Car and Driver
  11. Eltee

Nav Suddenly Say, "Insert SD Card" (fixed)

Back in Feb. 2017 I used the OBD Genie method to add Navigation to my 2013 XLT. Has worked beautifully since then. Using an A7 Nav SD. This morning I get a notice on my screen by the compass, "Insert SD Card" and despite my removing and reinserting the SD card the message persists. I sent a...
  12. Eltee

Resetting Oil Change Interval?

I did a search but couldn't find any info. Can I, or the dealer, reset the oil change interval? I think it is factory default set at 7500 miles (not sure of this) but my mechanic says that with the oil and filter I am using (both are Amsoil) I should be able to safely go 10k miles between...
  13. Eltee

Door Edge Guards

My 2013, bought used, came with short black door edge guards about 8" long. They are starting to slide down and leaving a bit of adhesive residue. I don't know if they are a Ford OEM item or if the prior owner added them. Is there a recommended replacement? Is it a Ford item / part # ? THANK...
  14. Eltee

Beam angle of rear sensors / Bike rack interference

I want to have a single rack bike rack most of the time on my XLT, using the hitch. I have a 1Up USA single rack (BTW, the BEST rack I've seen so far for my purposes) but is still blocks my sensors. I'm willing to weld up a custom mount, etc. if it will help clear the sensors. With the rack...
  15. Eltee

Jump Start, Now Navigation is Malfunctioning

I left auxiliary lights on and my battery went dead. I jump started the car and everything seemed fine EXCEPT: The compass was stuck on North (N) Navigation went weird The nav continues to show I am in my home town even if I travel out of state. It shows my saved destinations, even acts...
  16. Eltee

DIY Replacement Key Programming

I did a search here and on Google but without much success. I've got a 2013 XLT with the In-Synch, etc. I also have two factory keys. With my old 2005 Sport Trac I bought a replacement key online. The local locksmith cut the key and I took it into my Trac and did a routine of key insertions...
  17. Eltee

New Undercover / Low Profile PIU

Thugs could spot unmarked PIUs by looking for the slick roof with no rails, and sometimes the black steelies if the department didn't opt for the special covers designed for the steelies. Here are some pics of a PIU with the roof rails, the steelies with the full size wheel covers, etc.
  18. Eltee

Battery Recommendation?

I searched but found nothing recent or specific to my situation on this topic. I bought a used 2013 XLT and I suspect it has the original battery. I travel a lot in the Nevada desert so battery failure is not an option. I know the vehicle has battery monitoring, etc. I used to run an Optima...
  19. Eltee

SOLD / Ultra Motorsport Wheels for 2011 + Explorer / Taurus

In the San Francisco Bay Area, no shipping, please. Four rims with lugs and 2 keys for the locking lugs. In great shape, came with my 2013 Exp XLT but I went with steelies for durability. These are the Ultra Motorsport Spline wheels. Deal at $125.00 for the set. No room to store them.
  20. Eltee

Clear vs Amber bulbs in Fog Lights Housings?

My 13 XLT has the factory fogs with clear bulbs. Piaa makes an amber bulb that fits. I live in a coastal town that is prone to fog so I'm trying to decide whether or not to replace the factory bulbs with ambers. For REALLY foggy nights out here I have a set of Unity rectangular fog lights...
  21. Eltee

Power outlet on back of center console coming loose

I did a search but did not come up with anything. The power outlet (aka cigarette lighter socket) on the back of my center console which second row passengers use is coming loose. I suspect pulling on items plugged in there constantly loosened it. It is still in place, just very loose. Is...
  22. Eltee

Steel Wheel Hubcap Interchangeable?

I've got a set of PIU steelies with the undercover optional full coverage wheel covers. I plan to use the smaller, traditional hubcap with polished trim rings. The small center caps are expensive for the 2012 and later models but the 2011 and earlier caps from Crown Vic / Interceptors which...
  23. Eltee

Dislocated Door Ding Guards

The door ding guards on my 13 XLT have looked like this since I bought a couple of months ago. My initial idea is just to clean the areas above them and then coax them back up a little. I searched and found nothing directly related to this. Should I pull them off and relocate, tap them up back...
  24. Eltee

Goodbye

My beloved 2005 Sport Trac XLT is gone so I will no longer be active on this site. I needed a vehicle with more seating so I got a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT. Ironically when I brought the new Exp home, a neighbor asked if I was selling my Trac. We struck a deal and now my old Trac is in the...
  25. Eltee

Unmarked PIU

LAPD Metro Unit from a couple of years ago. Note the sun visor on mirror.
Back