Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 8

anyone use the NKG V- power spark plugs?

Stay away I made the mistake of using them in my 5.0. They lasted 3000 miles. I had a horrible misfire on 3 cylinders and could barely make it up a slight incline. When I pulled them there was no electrode or insulator left. I can honestly say they almost wrecked my motor. Stick with Motocraft.
  2. 8

Replacing rear sway bar end link bushings

Try explorer express- one of the site vendors. I paid $18.99 + tax (Canadian) through a local shop.
  3. 8

The part # is ES45153G. Kit includes end link bushings and axle mount bushings.
  4. 8

Rear sway bar bushing end links Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one. I just replaced the rear sway bar bushings with the Energy Suspension poly ones. To remove the end link bushings I used a 1-1/4 socket and a 3" c-clamp as a press. Worked like a charm. Best...
  5. 8

2000 Ford Explorer V8/ Question

What brand of plugs did you use? I had a similar problem. I was using NGKrap plugs and found that the electrodes were completely gone after less than 10,000 km. (6000 miles). I switched to Autolites and a new set of Aurora wires (Thanks Celly ) and no more hot start issues. It also cleared up my...
  6. 8

Heater Core/AC Question

Hi. I recently replaced my heater core. Be prepared for a full day. I was told that you don't have to remove the a/c lines but I did anyways and I am glad I did. I have the V8 so its pretty tight and the a/c lines don't move very much. It only cost me around $100.00 to discharge and recharge the...
  7. 8

Lucas Oil Transmission Fix

I used 1/2 bottle with my last filter change. I had a driveline vibration which I thought was from the U-joints. The Lucas stuff cleared it up. No vibration. Might have been from the torque converter. My truck has never been so smooth. I am not a big believer in additives until a friend at a...
  8. 8

Running like a P.O.S. Update

Yes it was the V powers. I have never seen plugs go that bad so quickly. I was amazed that the truck ran at all. What confused me was that it ran great until it warmed up. That led me to believe it was a sensor problem and not the plugs. Get those NGK's out ASAP. Good luck.
  9. 8

Running like a P.O.S. Update

A little update from my previous post. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278175. I removed the cam position sensor and all looked well. I did an oil change today and thought I would pull a plug to see what was going on. I never suspected plugs because these ones had only...
  10. 8

Desperate Need help understanding readout.

O.K. I replaced the MAF with a reman one. There is a slight improvement in the idle but the problem still persists. After researching the problem on this site I am leaning towards the camshaft position sensor. My question is: Do I just replace the sensor or do I need to replace the synchro as...
  11. 8

New pads - Wagner, EBC, other?

I currently have the Wagner Thermo Quiet pads and the ATE premium one rotors on my 99. Stopping power is far better than the stock brakes. No noise and very little dust. After 15,000 miles of only city driving ( lots of stop and go ) the rotors still look like new and the pads are hardly worn...
  12. 8

Thanks for your replies. I did graph the MAF. It would shoot up quickly but the drop off wasn't as sharp. I now have no idea what is causing the problem. The best way to describe it is it feels like the engine is overheating. At crusing speed it seems fine but under load I get serious...
  13. 8

Please bear with me. This may be long winded. I am trying to solve a driveability issue on a 99 Explorer Limited AWD. Mileage is 120,000 and the only mod is a MAC intake. I suspect the MAF is shot but I wanted confirmation before I shell out $200.00 for a reman. one. I have tried cleaning it...
  14. 8

pulsating brake pedal!

Yes. Just to be safe I changed both front lines and had a shop flush the brake system. Problem fixed. Flush cost $140.00.
  15. 8

Yet another MAF question

Thanks for the response. I did a parts interchange lookup for anyone interested. The following MAFs will interchange. 01-04 Escape 3.0L 05-08 Escape 3.0L 99-00 Explorer any engine 02-03 Explorer 4 Dr. 4.0L 99-00 E150 Van 4.2L 01-03 E150 Van 4.2L 99-03 E350 Van 4.2L (why would ton put a...
  16. 8

Yet another MAF question

I need to replace my MAF. Are the mafs engine and year specific or will they all interchange. I screwed mine while cleaning it and have a line on a used low mileage one from a 4.0. Mine is a 99 5.0. Thanks for any help
  17. 8

pulsating brake pedal!

Check your brake lines. The same thing happened to me. When I did my brakes I accidentally put a kink in one of my lines. It took me a while to figure out the problem.
  18. 8

5.0 Fast Idle.. Help! It's like driving a Toyota!!

Could be the throttle position sensor. I had the same problem with my Cougar. Not fun on ice. If you do replace the TPS buy from Ford. I bought 2 from the "Discount Auto" store and both crapped out on me after 6 months. The Ford one is still going after 5 years.
  19. 8

Saleen XP8 wing on e-pray

If anyone is interested. Bid is currently @ $71.00 with 8 days left.
  20. 8

shift drive selector indicator

Quick note. If you want to replace the plastic part that holds the adjustment wheel it takes a 5.5mm socket. Another reason to love Ford engineers!
  21. 8

Cluster swap problems

I have done that. All of my gauges are fine except the speedo. My tach is off by about 100 rpm but I can live with that. Is there any other way to adjust speedo other than while driving?
  22. 8

Cluster swap problems

Hello. I just installed the white faced gauges from an 01 Sport-trac in my 99 along with a pillar pod. Thanks to all of the great posts here. I didn't swap clusters just the faces as outlined by Celly. My problem is how to properly calibrate the speedo. I tried 3 times and I am still off by...
  23. 8

Pillar Pod Power?

Thanks go to syn for his post. I was looking for hours for a wiring diagram like that. Lets see some pics when you are finished.
  24. 8

Pillar Pod Power?

I am planning the same job this weekend along with a cluster swap to the white faced gauges. I will probably tie into one of the harnesses going to the cluster. There is a post somewhere here that shows the function of the pins for the cluster. There are 3 separate harnesses and each one has a...
  25. 8

Need confirmation on trans problem.

Any Thoughts?
Back