Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Buying used 03- but.....

Great 03 xtl I found.....on a ford dealer lot....but after checking with Carfax the report said it was leased to a rental agency. My buddies advise me against buying ANY ex-rental but this one is sweet...mileage a little high (18,000)... but looks like it is out of the showroom....good price...
  2. O

Limited slip diff on ST

any comments on which axle to get when I buy my new ST? Isnt the 4.10 more torque to the rear wheels to be used when towing, etc. Does the 4.10 noticibly cut down on acceleration? And what are the advantages and disadvantages with an anti-slip axle? Thanx for any comments.
  3. O

Sport Trac mileage

But I spend summers in Upper Peninsula Michigan or Maine, and visit my mom a lot in upstate NY. Takes much highway travel to get there. Any comments on gas mileage?
  4. O

Sport Trac mileage

Thinking of buying an 04 ST. Any comments on Highway mileage. Ford says 20, but I've heard a lot of complaints. Would you recommend the 4wd over the 2wd for handling? No time anymore to drive anything more exiting than groomed state forest trails. Bummer. Thanks for any comments.
  5. O

buying new...$$ question

thanks. I got a lot of info too, by doing a search on this forum under "MSRP". It was very helpful.
  6. O

buying new...$$ question

finally diggin a deep hole for my 91 explorer. Been in the dealers trying to determine a good price on a new one. question 1: is there a good formula to use to determine a good price discounted from the MSRP. Ex. if the final MSRP is $25,000 what is a good price without leaving a lot of money...
  7. O

AC recharge

Sorry... that first line was to make sure you have some R-134 in the system.
  8. O

AC recharge

Yes , you can recharge yourself as long as you have some R-134stem. ( Once all the R-134 has leaked out, it is ba=est to have it evacuated before adding the freon). Be sure to buy a kit that has a low pressure side gauge and only fill the low pressure side 1/2 can at a time, checking pressure...
  9. O

4WD vs. AWD

Thanx again Brian for your perfect synopsis of the "4WD vs. AWD" issue. Wonder why no Ford salesman I've seen could tell it like that? I hope others can use your post in any future search of the subject.
  10. O

4WD vs. AWD

Thanx Brian for the input. I was a liitle confused by your response tho. Are you saying that 4WD is the best way to go, especially if I decide to go w/ the 4.6 V8? Right now, I dont see any advantage w/ the AWD over the 4WD being that they are the same price. Isn't it better to opt for the 4WD...
  11. O

gettin old

When I bought my '91 in 1993 it had 48,000 on her . Now she's got 196,000 and still driving on long road trips. Not as much power as before, but no major problems. Over the years , she has needed radial arm bushings, and ignition module, TPS sensor, new exhaust system, brakes & rotors...
  12. O

ran out of gas - wants to stall

With the latest technologies of computer controlled ignitions, engines, etc. you still have to consider the basics when torubleshooting problems. They haven't changed since the Model A times. They are fuel, air, and electrical, in that order. If your vehicle ran out of fuel, and subsequently...
  13. O

4WD vs. AWD

I don't know about 00,01, & 02 but the specs I just got for 03 says you can get an AWD in the V6. I haven't test drove this model but something tells me it won't have enough snap--- given the weight of the vehicle, V6 hp, not enough torque to the rear, etc. Any thoughts?
  14. O

4WD vs. AWD

I'm finally buying a new or late model X and still considering 4WD vs. AWD. I want performance and the off-roading I do now days is only fire trails and some highway travel in light snow. I don't have any experience w/ AWD and would like some opinions if anyone can spare the time. Would a V6 AWD...
  15. O

Dash voltage gauge acting up

Key on, engine off it acts normal. Once I start it at idle it sweeps back and forth between about 8 and 14 and when driving. A volt reading on the battery is normal. Is the gauge reading off the battery or the alternator output?
  16. O

Dash voltage gauge acting up

my dashboard voltmeter on my 91 sport is sweeping back and forth while I drive. Any ideas? Is my alternator acting up or is it a back gauge.
  17. O

checking codes--what type

Thanx for the additional advice. I used the analog voltmeter once (counting needle sweeps) when I was on the road away from my garage. It's a good idea for reading codes for less than $10. Thanx for the link.
  18. O

rough idle newbie ?

check every and I mean every vacuum hose for a leak.
  19. O

Buying another Explorer

I'm thinking of burying my 91 sport 4.0 and upgrading to a stock 98,99.00.01, 02 or maybe even a new 03. any comments on a good year or models to stay away from. I think I want the xlt , not sure of 6 or 8 cyl yet. I want to modify but don't do much offroad anymore. Thanx for any opinions.
  20. O

Thanx Robb. Nice wheels, BTW.
  21. O

bimetal sensor in airbox

Those two vacuum line go to the bi-metallic sensor in the side of the air filter box. If you drive in cold weather, the sensor is important. It is basically atemperature switch which will divert air from the exhaust manifold to your air intake when the air is cold aoutside. This is an area of...
  22. O

I need to purchase a code reader. I'm tied of driving over to Autozone whenever I have a CEL. What type do I need for a 91 sport 4.0L ? How much should I spend and where is the best place to buy one. Thanx.
  23. O

what yr. truck should I buy?

I've been the proud owner of a 91 sport for 12 years and hate to part with it. Many great road trips. I'm looking to upgrade to a 98-02 (used) or 03 new XLT. Anyone care to comment on best years, models, years to avoid, etc. A 5-speed manual is my first request. v-6 or v-8 I need advise...
  24. O

Engine quits...dealer can't help.

Start with the easiest (cheapest) fix. If you say the truck has sat around and not driven for a while, you could have water in the gas tank from condensation. This would happen especially if the gas cap wasn't on tight and the tank had 1/4 or less in it during storage. Dump in a can of "dry gas".
  25. O

A/C down again

Search didn't help this time. 91 sport got new compressor, new lines (swtched to r-134), new accumulator. All is 3 months old. Suddenly on a road trip to Georgia I got no A/C. Since I am a long way from my tools, I stopped in Autozone to purchase a gauge and low side whip, and the low side is...
Back