Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

spark plug

Well.... I removed the original Autolites at 195,000 miles and 6 of 8 still looked good. I put Autolites back in, don't expect to change them again.
  2. P

Original radiator hose clamps

Had the oddest thing happen on my 1998 EB 5.0 AWD, 209K miles. I was losing coolant but couldn't see where. Thought it might be the radiator (2nd time) but the coolant drips were up high. Checked the upper hose to the radiator and coolant leaked out, Turned out to be a worn out original factory...
  3. P

Heat Issue.....Blend Door???

One more thing to check is the coolant level. After agonizing about the blend door, I did the simple thing and checked. Added AF/H2O and I have steady heat.
  4. P

Of all the times... No heat

Update: The problem turned out to be low coolant as described earlier in this thread. Shows you should check the easy stuff first.
  5. P

Cleaning up the old girl...

You might want to look at your brakes as well. I let mine (98 EB) sit for seven months and not only were the rotors very rusty, the rear calipers (both) had seized and had to be replaced.
  6. P

Of all the times... No heat

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have a similar problem. I have an EB with the fancy HVAC. When very cold, and the engine temp is normal, the air coming out swings between hot and cold. If I change from floor to floor and panel or floor and defrost, it will blow hot and then start...
  7. P

Plugs and wires, 98 AWD V8

Thanks, I 'd say it took about two hours, primarily because I didn't want to rush and break a plug. I used a spark plug tool from Great Neck that is an extension and swivel, as well as being magnetic. I used it for each plug. I did give a shot of PB Blaster just before starting the job, but a...
  8. P

Plugs and wires, 98 AWD V8

I'm not proud of this, but I changed the original sparkplugs this weekend. 195,341 miles. My thrid set of spark plug wires went bad so I decided to bite the bullet. Amazingly, four of the plugs still had the small pointed center electrode, four were gone. The gap was in excess of 0.100". It runs...
  9. P

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket PATS key programmer: 99 ford explorer

I agree, try a locksmith. I used one in Parkersburg, WV and got a discount because I had AAA. Still not cheap, but pretty much the only route out there.
  10. P

Where to buy a 98 V8 fan blade

Try Rock Auto - $49.79 MOTORCRAFT Part # YA228 {#F87Z8600FA} 11 Blade Plastic
  11. P

Radiator Replacement - 5.0 V8

The radiator on my 1998 5.0 EB started leaking at the junction between the core and the tank on the passenger side. Got a NAPA replacement and installed it over the weekend. It took a solid 8 hours in the South Carolina sun to change. Fan clutch (Autozone tool loan) no problem. Shroud, no...
  12. P

Condensation in rear cargo area carpet?

The only time I have had a problem in the rear carpet area was when the rubber gasket for the rear window came loose at the top. It sagged down and let water drain right onto the carpet. Glued it back in and all is well.
  13. P

Explorer Express bushings?

I used the ee poly bushings front and rear and they really helped the stabilility of my ex.
  14. P

Replaced front sway bar frame bushings..handling improved

I replaced mine, front and rear, with the Poly ones from Explorer Express. Fronts were very easy, especially when one of the links snapped right off. Rear links were OK, but I had to fight a little bit on the frame bushings. Very much worth it at 75+ on the Interstate.
  15. P

Driveshaft Scraping?

Probably the front driveshaft. I had a similar vibration problem after a transfer case replacement. I was glad it was "just" the driveshaft. Ericautopart was very helpful, lowest price, free shipping, quick delivery.
  16. P

Driveline vibration, AWD, what do you think?

Last update, just installed new drive shaft; vibration is gone.
  17. P

CAUTION! AWD Front Drive Shaft Removal --Drifts in park.

When my transfer case went bad and I removed the front driveshaft, the X didn't move in Park. probably because the VC was fried and locked up. After replacing the TC, recently my front drive shaft went bad and I removed it. I left the X for my wife to drive but didn't think to mention that it...
  18. P

Thanks to all, just an update. Had a friend who is a helicopter mechanic check the drive shaft and found the u joint was bad. New shaft coming from ericautopart. Thanks again.
  19. P

I know there are a lot of threads on this subject, but I need some help. About three months ago, I replaced the transfer case (bad VC) on my 98EB, 5.0. I got the TC from Transfer Case Express. I replaced all four tires at the same time. Last week I was running down an Interstate at 75 mph and...
  20. P

Is my block heater working ?

When I disconnect mine in the morning, I can hear a slight hissing sound that stops as soon as I pull the plug. Warm air does not immediately blow out of the vents but it does heat up very quickly. Hope this helps.
  21. P

Companion Flange Replacement Help

You might want to think about a pinion seal repalcement while you have the flange out. I just replaced mine at 150K miles.
  22. P

Transfer case repair? 97 Mounty AWD

A buddy and I swapped in a rebuilt transfer case, as mentioned about $700 from Transfer Case Express. Very nice people to work with. I highly recommend removing the console to get at the upper bolts. We did it without using the access panel and his son learned some new words.
  23. P

Coolant overflows from water reservoir, bubbles

I had a similar problem with a blown head gasket (twice) on a Subaru. As combustion pressure builds and pumps into the coolant chambers, it forces the coolant back into the reservoir. Eventually there is little coolant left in the engine and the temp gauge climbs. Then the engine essentially...
  24. P

Viscous Coupling (AWD) and tire circumference

Circumference is critical! I had four well used Contis on my 98 EB AWD. Picked up a piece of metal in a sidewall and had to buy a new tire. A few months later, the viscous clutch goes out and I learned how to change a transfer case. Four new Michelins are on it now to make sure this doesn't...
  25. P

Normal/Off road knob

This might have been covered before, but what does the normal/offroad knob do on a 1998 EB AWD? I can't tell any difference between settings. TIA
Back