Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Water Leak

Just wanted to reply that thanks to Cory, my Explorer Limited is leak free and the whole experience was painless. They had to put it in the body shop to replace the sealant on the right rear of the vehicle and hatch. Thanks again! -Scott
  2. S

Max A/C stopped working - recirculator door arm broke

You can pull out the blower and reach up in the hole to position the door and glue the arm back in with a plasti-weld or something similar as a temp fix. But ultimately, you have to replace the whole assembly, as the reason the arm broke in the first place was because the plastic got brittle...
  3. S

Water Leak

Well, just realized it leaks all the time, not only when the rear hatch is open.
  4. S

Water Leak

Add me to the list of leaky right rear seatbelt leaks! In my used 2011 Limited, went to open the hatch today in the rain to load groceries and noticed water running down the 3rd row seatbelt. I only noticed it when the rear hatch was opened. Drove home into the garage, opened the rear hatch...
  5. S

Removing flat tow hardware

Yep, got it all figured out now. Got the tow bar base off and the figured out it had a solenoid type setup that pulled a cable hooked to the brake petal...the cable was unhooked and hiding under the carpeting. Also got the vacuum pump off that created vacuum for the brake booster. I just have...
  6. S

I can take a pic of the front end, but there's not much to take a pic of. That's the problem I'm having is that I can't see any of the breakaway hardware. From what I've seen on the internet, there is some sort of canister device that ties into the hydraulic brake lines somewhere. There's...
  7. S

I just bought a 2011 Limited that was used as a flat tow vehicle. I'd like to remove all the hardware to prevent any points of failure while driving it. I figured out how to remove the tow bar base, but the breakaway system and lighting system doesn't seem to be so easy. The breakaway is what...
  8. S

2004 Explorer 4.0 cold start, then dies

Ok, bought a new air filter and disconnected the battery for awhile. Started cold this morning, just great, but this afternoon went back to the way it was. I'll try cleaning the throttlebody now and see what happens. One thing to note also, I replaced the EGR valve about 2 months before this...
  9. S

2004 Explorer 4.0 cold start, then dies

I have a 2004 Explorer XLS with the 4.0 V6. I am having an issue where when you start the engine first thing in the morning, it fires up, then dies unless you hit the gas. I've had this happen with a previous Explorer and it was the IAC (idle air control valve)...but after looking under the...
  10. S

Rear end grind, but no whine

Nope, it's still there, it didn't help. It's been almost 2 years now and hasn't gotten any worse either.
  11. S

Max A/C stopped working - recirculator door arm broke

Hey all, I think I'm screwed, but I'd like to have an idea of what's going on before I take it in to the shop. I have an '04 XLS with the plain jane air/heat controls and about 2 weeks ago, everything works (heat, defrost, etc), but the max a/c does nothing. So I finally crawled under the...
  12. S

2004 Rear End Fluid Change

Thanks for all the helpful info. I went to Home Depot and Lowe's here, but the biggest size of anything they sold was 1/2". They did not have any adaptors to 3/4", and when I asked, they had no clue what I was talking about anyways. So, I ended up buying a 3' piece of 3/4" aluminum square...
  13. S

Thanks for the reply! The drain square is quite a bit bigger than my 1/2" drive, so I measured it out. It is a 3/4"! So I'll go out today and see if I can find a 3/4" breaker bar for a decent price. The fill plug came out ok, and it is a 3/8". Thanks again.
  14. S

I have been searching trying to figure out how to change the rear end fluid in my 2004 XLS. I think it has a limited slip due to the grinding noise it makes around turns, and wanted to change the fluid to see if that helps. I found two plugs on the diff cover. Ones a huge one which is the...
  15. S

Yes, that is a good idea. With 50,000+ miles, I might as well go ahead and change the fluid no matter what. I just traced down a brake issue today, so I will try and get the fluid changed this weekend. I may just get the synthetic Mobil 1 with the friction modifier added, and see how that...
  16. S

Thanks for the response. I do need to check the diff fluid, but I don't think it's the wheel bearings though because it doesn't make the noise when cruising or going around a corner while moving. Only when taking off and turning from a stop. I'll check my diff fluid this week and report back...
  17. S

Dealer PCM Flash ? (4U7A-12A650-GJA)

you're probably right. this thing takes off like a bat outta heck when touching the gas after coasting. I didn't even realize these were throttle by wire. I had to go out and look. thanks!
  18. S

Dealer PCM Flash ? (4U7A-12A650-GJA)

I have a sticker under the hood that dealer 04824 put on that has a code of PCM 4U7A-12A650-GJA (The 4U might be 4O, I can't tell), with a date of 12/31/04. Any ideas what this flash was for? Thanks, Scott
  19. S

Hey all, I just picked up a used '04 XLS with 51,000 miles. I have searched the threads for rear end noises and all I see are rear end whine issues which seem common. But mine doesn't whine at all, just has this grinding sound when going around turns. So say, you do a u-turn, it makes this...
Back