Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

drive shaft installation 98 ford explorer XLT

Hi No - I actually engaged it on the grass and have actually only tried to go straight. It seems worse when I do try to turn though.... I took the drive shaft off a 99 Explorer and it seemed to bolt up fine. Is there a way I can check the drive shaft is phased correctly? If I put my...
  2. T

I removed the 4 bolts at the Universal joint and removed the 8 bolts at the cup/transfer case - 1- Could I have affected the alignment of something when I took the drive shaft off? 2 - How do I phase the U joint and yolk correctly? Thanks
  3. T

Help!! I installed the front drive shaft transfer case to the front axle and when I shift into 4 low and start to drive it feels like its "shuddering" or "slipping". It just doesn't feel right - like its solid- feels like something is loose or that something is not" meshing" correctly...
  4. T

Help!! 98 Xlt Installation Of Front Drive Shaft

Thanks! Yep - that's exactly what I did! I have never had to work on this stuff before so I just thought I had to undo the bolts at the CV joint - I didn't realize the thing came apart like you showed in the pix! Thanks so much for sorting it out for me!
  5. T

You make it sound tooooooo easy!! Not my experience so far! My questions are - What is the correct procedure to attach the drive shaft to the transfer case flange/cup? I have tried putting the ball bearing case in and then trying to place the drive shaft into the case inside the flange...
  6. T

Help - does anyone out there know if there is a trick to installing a front drive shaft into the transfer case? I can't seem to figure out the proper procedure to install the bearing case and drive shaft into the transfer case. I have a 98 4.0L 4x4 XLT. Thanks!!
Back