Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J.A.F.E.

Rough Idle upcoming Smog Check

Problem solved. I replaced the IAC which smoothed out the idle for the most part but some roughness persisted. In checking around I discovered the Cam sensor has some known issues - including a chrip and I had one I thought was an idler. I replaced cam sensor and an extended drive and now it...
  2. J.A.F.E.

Thank you 1998Exp. It seems to be mainly at idle it runs strong and doesn't stumble. I will replace the IAC - I had a hunch it might be involved.
  3. J.A.F.E.

I have a 2000 Explorer with a 5.0. The idle is slightly rough especially when cold. Sometimes it evens out when warm but on occasion the roughness remains. No codes and no pending codes. Plugs are stock Autolites with less than 5000 miles the wires were replaced with the plugs. I did the upper...
  4. J.A.F.E.

Vac Line Where Does It Go - Need Some Help

Thank you - I didn't look there.
  5. J.A.F.E.

Vac Line Where Does It Go - Need Some Help

The vac line to the heater control valve is broken and I can't find the other end. Where's it go? I've got a little better than foot hanging off the cannister and have no idea where to pick up the other end to fix. Please Help! It's a 2000 5.0 EX 2WD.
  6. J.A.F.E.

Can't Fix CEL Code Need Help

Thank you fixxxer. As it turns turns out I am reasonably proficient with a DMM and can read a schematic. I greatly appreciate the help and will post up what I find but it may be a day or two until I can deducate enough time to do this.
  7. J.A.F.E.

Can't Fix CEL Code Need Help

My 00 5.0 Explorer keeps throwing P0117 codes (Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input). I have changed the sensor and the cable/pigtail for the sensor with no change. The code shows up randomly but most often when I start the engine after it's warmed up or when I run the AC. It always...
  8. J.A.F.E.

How to: Remove and replace door latch assembly

I just did mine today and this writeup was very helpful. Two areas were a bit of a problem: the outer door handle rod and getting the latch separated from the power solenoid. The outer latch rod attaches to the yellow clip and I was a bit confused how to get them apart. I discovered the...
  9. J.A.F.E.

Unlocking drivers door with key, lock is picky..

I think it's the basic problem as with the power locks. The latch itself is the same part with or without power door locks so it makes sense they would have the same failure. Even though I have the power locks I often use the key and mine had the same symptoms you describe when using the key. I...
  10. J.A.F.E.

Rear spark plug removal V8

I go through the wheel well too. A nice assortment of extensions and a universal or wobble extension may help too.
  11. J.A.F.E.

Head bolt torque

These are torque to yield bolts and normally must be replaced instead of reused. Rather than using absolute torque the bolts are stretched a predetermined amount by the 90*/90* pattern. I guess the engineers consider this more consistant tightening than just simple torque measurements. There...
  12. J.A.F.E.

Change my own plugs? (V8)

+1. Take off the wheel and the rubber inner flap over the control arm and go through the wheel well. A few extensions, a universal plug socket and 15 minutes a side is all it takes. It took me longer to change the wires than the plugs.
  13. J.A.F.E.

steering rack removal

Harbour Freight has a set but I think they only have SAE sizes. CMan has a set that's pretty large about 10 or 11 pieces I think, was just on Craftsman Club sale for about $49 not too long ago (I have the SAE and metric). MSC and some others carry various brands. On the SO for one piece not...
  14. J.A.F.E.

steering rack removal

Try a crowsfoot. The one pictured is a Snap on. Sears sells Craftsman crowsfeet but I've not seen any open stock, just a set @~$80. All the truck brands have them. I believe Grainger carries Proto and maybe Blackhawk. SK used to have these. Wrench, Metric, Crowfoot, Flare Nut, 18 mm, 6-Point...
  15. J.A.F.E.

Air Bag problem

As another data point I have had code 37 issues on my 00 also. So far just playing with the yellow connector under the seats has fixed it.
  16. J.A.F.E.

P0117 Help Needed

Just to bump the thread. P0117 is coolant sensor input low. Anyone?
  17. J.A.F.E.

P0117 Help Needed

On my '00 5.0 I keep getting P0117 codes. It's always the same pattern one set code and one pending code always in pairs never pending codes alone. Happens when I drive, shutdown and restart hot but not everytime. No pattern I can detect as far as how long it's parked. Could be an immediate...
  18. J.A.F.E.

What is O/D?

Normally in most transmissions high gear is 1:1. IOW the drive shaft is turning the same RPM as the crankshaft. With O/D there is a "higher" gear that kicks the final drive ratio so the engine is turning slower than the drive shaft usually about 0.8 In normal driving OD would be good for fuel...
  19. J.A.F.E.

I would like to place a wanted to buy ad in the Misc Items for Sale forum. Is this allowed and...

I would like to place a wanted to buy ad in the Misc Items for Sale forum. Is this allowed and if so is this the appropriate forum? Specifically, I am looking for Plomb, Cornwell and Par-X ratchets (for my personal collection, not for resale). I would also like to place a looking for line for...
  20. J.A.F.E.

What is Non Limited slip??

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm/printable http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
  21. J.A.F.E.

Temp sending unit--or something else?

Could you try switching the guages?
  22. J.A.F.E.

Silly odometer question

Just speculating but I'd guess it was a cost issue. Picayune as it may seem the extra digit (and mechanism) probably had some bean counter hopping up and down in horror.
  23. J.A.F.E.

what are some of the causes of bad gas mileage....

I just had an interesting lesson with gas mileage in my 5.0. I bought mine 4 years old and it got crappy mileage - rarely better than 220-230 a tank sometimes not even. I recently started throwing codes related to the temp sensor and after replacing it and flushing the cooling system fuel...
  24. J.A.F.E.

Ever see one of these??

Yes, I remember them well. Most of the type IV's I've seen were the station wagon or four door sedan. The two door like your photo were not common IIRC. Most of them were gold like your photo I don't remember ever seeing a light blue one. Also I believe all that were officially imported to the...
  25. J.A.F.E.

Optima Battery - how long do they live?

I have some issues, too. There is very noticeable corrosion acccumulating on the positive post. I keep cleaning it only to have it return in short order. I expected better from a supposedly premium product. :(
Back