Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Junkyard Run: Need Anything?

junkyard Much appreciated
  2. T

Junkyard Run: Need Anything?

junkyard run I've in need of a three way rubber hose connector that ripped on my EX. It's a 97 SOHC motor. It's located right under the IAC on the top front of the maniflold. Each of the three way connector hoses are about 2" in length. Any possibility?
  3. T

Infinity or JL Audio replacement sub?

ohms Nobody seems too concerned about ohms. It's my understanding that the stock sub is meant to drive an 8 ohm speaker not a 4 ohm. I replaced a stock sub with a 6 1/2" 4 ohm JL and it eventually blew the sub amp. It didn't happen right away but over time, it blew. I would suggest that if your...
  4. T

blown sub amp..need advice

I have the JBL system on my 97 X. I unknowingly replaced a blown subwoofer with a 6" JL 4 ohm speaker that eventually blew the stock 8 ohm sub amp. The JL sub appears to be good. I would like to keep the sub amp in the stock placement. Should I look for a 4 ohm sub amp to power the JL? If so any...
  5. T

EGR Valve Pressure Sensor (Is this the DPFE?)

dpfe I replaced the autozone part with a Ford part for a few reasons. First, I didn't want to replace an inferior part with an inferior part. Secondly, according to the Motorcraft website, there were two different DPFE sensors used for 97 EX SOHC depending on VIN #. Autozone uses a one size...
  6. T

EGR Valve Pressure Sensor (Is this the DPFE?)

oem I have replaced the DPFE twice. Once from Autozone...lasted less than 2 yrs. I then purchased a Ford DPFE from directfordparts.com for about the same price as an autozone aftermarket one. Go for the original Ford part for this item.
  7. T

JBL Subwoofer (+ or Negative)

how to check? How can you check polarity with a multimeter?
  8. T

Goodyear Forterra Silent Armor Tires.

fortera and ltx m/s on 97 XLT 4dr 4x4 I had the same situation as you. I had the Michelan lts m/s, great tire. I replaced them with the Fortera Silent Armour and loved them. The Forteras looked good, handled great and were quiet. The downside was a loss of 1.5 mpg and tread life that's half...
  9. T

Tire specs for 93 XLT

I agree with Anime 4X4's statement about Explorers not rolling over any more frequently than other SUVs. I personally feel the whole rollover issue was due to the rapid increase in unexperienced SUV drivers. You simply can't drive an SUV like a go kart. The explorer was such a popular vehicle in...
  10. T

Gibson exhaust mistake/ Flowmaster 70?

After much research on replacing the exhaust on my 97 SOHC X, I went with the Gibson side swept exhaust. I was looking for something quiet but not stock. Unfortuately, I'm disappointed with the Gibson. Most of the time it sounds like a vacumn cleaner in a garbage can. Once in a blue moon it does...
  11. T

gibson exhaust..bolt or weld?

I just received delivery of a Gibson cat back exhaust. When looking for an install shop, one shop said definitely weld it and another said why weld it because you'll never be able to move it. WELD it on or BOLT it on? Thanks
  12. T

Solved 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!!

97? Any idea where I can get this info for 1997 X?
  13. T

IAC/Gasket question

thanks dmac0923 and Nosmo...thanks for your comments and Have a GREAT 08!
  14. T

IAC/Gasket question

I have a 97 X with SOHC. I replaced my IAC earlier this year. I don't remember seeing or replacing any gasket or O ring. Did I miss something here? Thanks......Tom
  15. T

Gibson exhaust St. steel or alum?

I ordered at AJUSA.com for $360(stainless steel) and free shipping. They have a beat competition price policy. I called to see if they could reduce price because of the $50 discount card that 4wheelparts offers.They declined saying that a discount card is not the same thing as price. Go figure...
  16. T

Thanks Steve...checked the warranty with Gibson. Alum/steel is only against workmanship, not rust. Stainless is lifetime against rust. I bucked up and went with the stainless. This way everytime I'm driving on salted roads I won't be saying I should've got the stainless. Now, I just hope I like...
  17. T

Dan........so in your opinion you think the cheaper pipes should hold up?
  18. T

The original muffler on my 97X with 168,000 is starting to go.I'm itching to replace with Gibson Swept Side exhaust. The alum is $265 or steel for $365. I'm expecting to have the truck for another 5 yrs/75,000mi. Do you guys think it would be a mistake to opt for the aluminun at $265? I hate to...
  19. T

Your Favorite All Weather Tires!!

My experience I've had both the Michelin LTX M/S and Goodyear Fortera Silent Armour. The Michelins were great..good grip, quiet and lasted like hell...about 70,000. They actually wore down to a certain tread depth and stayed there. When it was time to replace, I was somewhat reluctant to go...
  20. T

belt tensioner question

My 97SOHC X has 167,000 miles and doing fine. I do have a rough idle situation that I been trying to solve using the info in this great forum. My question is that I've noticed my belt tensioner shuttering slightly at idle. Is this normal or something to be addressed? Could the tensioner wobble...
  21. T

Front end clunking - Sway Bar bushings?

I just did the job over the weekend. I also ran into the same removal issue. One side came out fairly easily, the other side wouldn't budge. I removed the sway bar with stuck end link attatched, rapped the hell out it ...no go. Took a hacksaw to it and that did the job.I wish I had used the saw...
  22. T

sway bar end link question

job done Well I finally replaced end links and sway bar bushings with Moog parts. The job initially went smoothly. One end link bolt came out fairly easily and I thought I was on my way to a quick completion. However, the other end link wouldn't come out for the life of me, So I took the sway...
  23. T

4.0 SOHC vs. OHV

best move When I purchase my truck in 97, I felt one of the best decisions I made was to get the SOHC motor. The OHV was just too underpowered and although I considered the V8, I prefered the new SOHC vs the old tech V8. Ten years later, it's my opinion the the SOHC motor is one of the better...
  24. T

Mileage

168k i'm the original owner of a 97 XLT SOHC, 168K. No major issues, just the expected usual repairs. The truck remains tight with little or no interior creaks. The motor has slightly less power but what a great motor overall. I'd really hate to depart with it and expect to go 250K and hope for...
  25. T

sway bar end link question

I'm replacing sway bar bushings and end link bushings this weekend. I've read the post by Sticky on the repair and found it quite useful. My question is if, where and when the truck needs to be jacked. Are any brand of bushings preferable? Thanks...
Back