Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Uh-oh..I broke my 95..

So I have a 323,000 mile 1995 XLT with the pushrod 4.0 and automatic. Last night I was getting on the highway and working it rather hard, got it to 70 and wound up the engine to 4,000 rpm (nothing new for this mill) it cruised along for a bit then lost all engine power. Coasted off the...
  2. T

early style overhead console fix?

Ok, so my early style Overhead Console has started fritzing out, figured it was the module itself so I pulled two from the yard and swapped them in. no change. It acts like its losing power somewhere down the line from the roof itself. Does anyone know where there are other connectors to check...
  3. T

Rear brake pad changout..

Sounds easy right? After getting the wrong pads at Autozone, I went to exchange them for the correct ones.. their catalog is wrong. Anyway we went all over the Ford 8.8 and rear disc combos to find the right pads and wind up calling it a 2005 instead of a 1995. Pads looked right, took...
  4. T

Question for the trans gurus out there...

1995 Explorer 2wd- 312,000 miles on it. 90,000 miles on rebuilt 4R55E, since rebuild trans has been serviced every 20-30,000 miles. Question; Does a '97-00 4r55e work identically-electrically to the '95? When I had the trans rebuilt in 06 due to broken intermediate band, and it was...
  5. T

Grr, and I thought I was done with coolant issues!

Ok, so my neverending saga of coolant issues on my '95 is about to drive me to either sell it, or drinking. I've put 5 (FIVE) radiators in this stinkin thing, 4 heater cores, and 4 sets of head gaskets. ALL in the last 140,000 miles. the first 160,000 miles was cake! Head gaskets were...
  6. T

Code 646 error on 95 Ex.

Ok yall, time to pick the collective brain again. Twice now, my '95 Explorer in the last 4,000 miles (304,000 miles overall, 75,000 on the trans) has tossed a flashing OD light and both times has been code 646. It's been serviced yearly since 225,000 miles when the trans was overhauled. I've...
  7. T

Code 214 on my 95

Ok so the Check engine light and the random hesitation has drove me nuts long enough (a week). I pulled the codes and I am getting a 214 CID error. Ok, so I read up, and replaced the original Cam Position Sensor (295,000 miles!) with one I had pulled out of the wrecking yard long ago, put it...
  8. T

What is that part?

Ok so I don't have a pic of it, but on my '95 it's directly below the battery, sandwiched between the inner fender liner, and the steel inner fender, has two large vacuum lines and one small vacuum line, along with an electrical connector. It's about 2" in diameter, and deals with the...
  9. T

95 4r55e 2-3 flare

Ok I've seen tons of info on the 5r55 2-3 flare, and I am having a similar problem with my 4 speed. It's got 282,000 miles overall and 55,000 on the trans itself, when the shop rebuilt it they did not replace the solenoids at the time. It was rebuilt because it snapped the intermediate band...
  10. T

Acceptable oil pressure?

What's the acceptable oil pressure for the OHV 4.0? Mine with 250k miles on it hits about 55psi @ 2,000 rpm hot and between 15-20psi at idle hot. Cold it hovers around 60psi until it warms up. According to the book and everything else I've read it's dead-on spec, but I'm just curious...
  11. T

Anyone been to Jarbidge, NV?

A buddy of mine has a hankering to go to Jarbidge NV, and was asking me if I'd drive. He's doing research on a book he's writing and is wanting to go out there. I've got a box-stock 2wd X with 3.73 LS and stock size tires and some off-road driving skill. He's got a Grand Marquis so it's pretty...
  12. T

Head scratcher with a '95

For the last 5 or so years I've been having an issue with my 95 OHV during warmup with it stumbling and stalling at lights untill it warms completely up. I've usually just replace the coolant temp sensor and that seems to make it better but doesn't totally quell it. Happens most in the 50-70...
  13. T

Sunroof teardown?

Ok, my factory power sunroof just shredded a part for the sunshade (the part that slides to block the light) plus I need to redo the cloth liner on it. Has anyone ever taken theirs apart? I've removed the glass before to cure some rattles in it but I've never actually taken it down to the...
  14. T

Heater Cores!

After doing the heater core for the 3rd time in my X, I got to wondering; How many of ya'll had to replace the heater core and how often? I seem to get about 2-3 years out of mine before it starts to leak. Needless to say I'm improving on my speed, I'm down from 14 hours to 5 hours.
  15. T

Broken 4R55E

Anyone ever have this happen? A week ago my 95 started slipping in 2nd gear so I thought well it's got 220,000 miles on the original transmission so it probably needs the bands adjusted. (shifted fine before last week) so I go to adjust the intermediate band (with the right tools and...
  16. T

Yet another coolant leak on my rig!

Well my chasing down of coolant leaks is never ending on my '95 X. This time the 3rd radiator I put in it as the original radiator was clogged solid, the 2nd radiator broke a tube, the current one is leaking at the tranny cooler (hopefully fixed that problem) Changing the oil and notice...
  17. T

Overheating issues ........

Ok now that the temps getting into the 90's I've been fighting a losing battle trying to keep the OHV from turning itself into a quivering mass of metal from overheating. I thought I'd ask the fountain of knowledge that is this board. I've got 132,000 miles on my '95 OHV, and my dear...
  18. T

Power window woes

Ok, I've done a search and found lots of info that I don't know if it really pertains to 2nd gen Xs. My RR window won't move, and naturally it's fully down, the motor attempts to turn because it'll dim the lights pretty well like it's stalled. Does anyone have any idea what it could be...
  19. T

I've got the green juice blues

Well it seems my luck with heater cores in cars finally ran out, my 95 has just developed a leak in it's core. and from what I gather I have to remove the dash and pretty much follow the same procedure as fixing the blend door. Am I wrong and there is a better way or do I just go along and...
  20. T

I finally dropped my 95

Well after talking about it for seems like years (6 months) I finally anted up and lowered my X 1". Only did that as a nice compromise between off-paved-road clearance, and improvement in handling. Wound up buying some $25 1" blocks and let off the torsion bars a couple turns. made a big...
  21. T

how to disable the remote keyless entry on a 95

Ok here's the deal, I've got the factory RKE on my '95 which works fine. The problem is somebody around here that lives in my apt. complex has the same frequency as mine is forever setting off the panic alarm or the horn chirp. So basically all I want to know is, if I disconnect the module...
  22. T

Power switch for the 95 Cassette CDDJ

Does anyone know where I can get a new power switch for the stock cassette CDDJ HU? Mine has stopped staying off, and it's starting to drive me up the wall. )
  23. T

Poor man's KKM

Well I got curious about how choked down the stock air box was on my 95 so I took the lower half off and left the stock rubber duct and MAF and did a press fit of sorts to the graying brand X filter in there and drove it back to school yesterday, didn't really notice a whole lot power down in...
  24. T

Lame air flow in the drivers side A/C vent

Does anyone else have this problem? My A/C vent for the driver has no airflow with the other vents open, close the 2 center ones and it's adequate. Wondering if I got a duct loose or if it's a design "feature". BTW it's a '95
  25. T

Cleaned the yellowed stockers on my '95

got bored the other day and found a bottle of Brasso, looked at the frontend of my 95 and it's severly yellowed and oxidized lights. I got curious, grabbed some 600 grit sandpaper and wet-sanded the lights to get the vast majority of the oxidation off, then got the brasso, polished the fine...
Back