Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

1995-2002 Explorer (and other vehicles) Recall

I wonder if the fix will by chance help whatever's been causing my ABS light to come on.
  2. R

OEM battery finally went kaput!

My 2002 OEM battery just went out. 7 years--not a bad run.
  3. R

Occasional 'snap/clunk' getting worse

Took it in to have it looked at... Brakes are the culprit for the new noise. Not sure if related or not, but the right rear diff. seal is leaking pretty badly and one of the front ones is just starting to leak. Still not sure if any of this is related to the popping noise it's been exhibiting...
  4. R

Occasional 'snap/clunk' getting worse

'02 Explorer XLT 4WD V6... Have had an occasional snap/clunk sound (just one sound, that's the best I can describe it... can also physically feel a 'pop' from beneath the truck when I hear it). Usually happens when I start to go slightly up or downhill, i.e., the vehicle goes from level to not...
  5. R

2002 Exp XLT 4.0 Steering Noise

For what it's worth, since the weather's gotten a little warmer, the noise has gone away. I'm pretty sure it'll be back in the fall.
  6. R

Metal on metal sound... shocks?

Darn it, I just had my new Destination A/Ts installed today... I wish I'd remembered to carry a grease gun along; would've saved me a trip under the truck if I'd done it while the wheels were off.
  7. R

AWD tire recommendations/referances

Okay, just got the Destination A/Ts mounted. Wow, these are nice. I thought they'd be noisier. But I can't hear them any more than I did my Destination LEs. I've only driven a few miles on them so far, but so far I can say they look good and aren't a harsh or noisy ride at all.
  8. R

Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try. Much cheaper than shocks. :)
  9. R

I've noticed lately that when I back out of my driveway, at the point where the driveway meets the road (there's a little bit of a dip), I hear what sounds like a metal-on-metal sound as the front tires go over the gutter. I still have the original shocks, 95k miles, 2002 Explorer XLT 4WD...
  10. R

AWD tire recommendations/referances

I just bought a set of Firestone Destination A/Ts from TireRack this afternoon. I'll let you know how they are in a couple thousand miles. :)
  11. R

2002 4.0 pcv location

Found it, thanks. :)
  12. R

Wife says Explorer doesn't like me

First thing that comes to mind is, the computer learns the best shifting strategy (and a bunch of other stuff) partially based on the way the driver drives. Two drivers, two different driving styles. The computer may take some time to adjust to your driving if it's adjusted itself to your...
  13. R

2002-2005 (02-05) Explorer rear door panel removal for speaker access HOW-TO

The new speakers are great, but they put the factory deck to shame... I think I need a new deck now. :P
  14. R

Airbag light

That's weird... I never saw a code 19 ever, until a few days ago. I've had the truck for almost 5 years. All of a sudden it popped up at the same time my 34 code disappeared. There was no deployment of the airbag between the time the 19 wasn't there and the time it appeared (actually never...
  15. R

Airbag light

Mine was flashing 34 for the longest time, but I disconnected the negative battery terminal while doing some other maintenance the other day, and now the 34 is gone, but there's a 19 instead. 19 means error memory full, I believe.
  16. R

Yeah, all four speakers are identical.
  17. R

I just put new speakers in all around on my '02 Explorer. The front door panels come off the same way as described here. There are two screws at the bottom of the panel on the front doors.
  18. R

Controls illumination

Those controls (the ones of those that I have) are not illuminated on my 2002 XLT. I think it's a bit strange too, but apparently it's normal.
  19. R

abs light on

Oops, sorry, I had airbag lights on the brain. That's my other problem. The airbag light...which was showing code 34 and now is showing 19 instead. The ABS light is still on all the time as usual. Ah, well. :rolleyes::)
  20. R

abs light on

Hmm.. mine's changed from 34 to 19 now.
  21. R

How bad is your mileage?

2002 4.0 XLT 4WD, had been getting about 14 in the city and 20 highway. Just changed plugs and wires, balanced and rotated tires, cleaned the whole fuel system, changed the oil, and replaced the air filter (replacing the PCV valve if I can find it, and the fuel filter this weekend)... so...
  22. R

abs light on

I'm having the same issue with my '02 XLT 4WD, except the ABS light stays on now all the time. I scanned for codes, and there are none stored. Are the front and/or rear sensors able to be cleaned on an '02, or is there something else I should be checking?
  23. R

Silvania Silverstars vs Cool Blue

I just replaced my factory low beams with Sylvania Silverstar Ultras yesterday. Having driven around with them for a couple of nights now, I can say they put out nice white light and (no surprise) are noticeably brighter than my 6 year old factory 9006's. Pep Boys has them right now for $49.99...
  24. R

2002 4.0 pcv location

Thanks, Joe. I'll get under there and tackle it again this afternoon. Assuming you mean driver's side when you say "right" ?
  25. R

2002 Exp XLT 4.0 Steering Noise

The past few days, I've noticed that when my Explorer is cold, the first time or two I turn the steering wheel full right, there's a really faint low-pitched squeak and I feel a faint vibration (for lack of a better word...it feels like something isn't lubricated, really). There is no increased...
Back