Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Programmers

A 2000 should have a 4.0. An aftermarket tune of the stock engine will produce a little more power than Fords tune. That little bit is not worth the cost. Superchips made a bunch of money off folks with little improvement, if any, over the stock tunes in these fords. Tuning is best done to get...
  2. B

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

Where did March go? Spring Sprung and I see warmer temps coming to get some projects done. Ski areas are closing, it's muddy out there and I put my lady on a plain tomorrow to go see her folks for a week and a half! At this point, I am not able to write a second tune to the TwEECer. I updated...
  3. B

Contemplating 5.0L rebuild for mild performance boost

I purchased a new Tweecer to solve a similar issue. It would reset by going key off then key on, but not no good! I don't know how many times you can write these, but the old unit ran my Bronco, F150 and Ranger before this one. My issue is that I cannot write a second tune. I thought it was...
  4. B

I remember a simple Scaler timer for Closed loop idle, but didn't find it in REAC4. It could have been used to extend Open loop idle. There is a warm-up Function, if it's broke-out, which might be used to extend Open loop idle time? Both would be band-aids vs finding out why the IAC is...
  5. B

Change Wires when Changing Plugs? Broke Wires Again.

Yah, I normally just grab a wire and yank hard, not! I use a tool, grip the boot gently, always try to rotate the tool a bit to loosen the boot first, and apply a gentle in-line pull. I think these wires take heat and then simply bending them can cause a problem. The carbon core breaks down and...
  6. B

As you know, the stock tune on the transmission is very mild to match the grocery getter cam and it "Red-Lines" pretty early. I can stretch it out a bit to higher rpm with boost, but nothing like that Summit 303+ cam. You'll soon need to be able to stretch that engine out with break-in complete!
  7. B

Hey thanks for the knowledge about REAC4 and the max injector size! I was able to set my injector slopes to the max of 53. That is firing these injectors 7% rich, so I leaned the whole MAF curve by 7%. I had the fueling very close before, close enough that the eec would compensate, but this is...
  8. B

These are premium wires, have good heat shields, and were installed correctly. I got two new sets after describing the miss I had after a rebuild and then changing plugs. I have a complete extra set now and extra metal boots and shields.
  9. B

'96 Aftermarket stereo install

The head unit amp provides speakers power. The only external amp I know of is for the factory sub. The external amp should be wired to the antenna/amp turn-on wire from the head unit to turn it on and off with the head unit.
  10. B

Yikes, no coolant leaks! I wired for fan control pin-outs and had no control with the REAC4 Strategy broken-out for the cooling fan. Mike G and I concluded that there was no hardware in the Explorer EECV for fan control. I'm in ski mode for a few weeks, Yo, that means I got recovery time in...
  11. B

AWESOME! It feels great to get a breakthrough and after the work of transferring the whole tune. I suspect my tune could use a bit of work using additional tables. It's rich on acceleration, not bad with boost, but I want more control. That would be transient fuel tables vs the old accel pump...
  12. B

I got Lifetime wires, good heats shields etc. I installed them correctly with dialectic grease and routed out around header then back in. And all to no avail! These wires break when you pull them to change plugz. I was gentle, but both times I have changed plugs I lost a couple of wires. Free...
  13. B

Oh Man! Sounds good! But who likes a sound of a small block ford with cam, headers ,and custom tune??? ;)
  14. B

Cool, Ya man thanks for posting all you have tuned. The, basic or stock cams with boost has allowed me to only need to use the Base Timing Table. I played with altitude timing back when the EECIV had a barometer. On this tune, I adjusted the "X" normalizer for Timing up to 1.1 load after I saw...
  15. B

The stock tailpipes are 2-1/4". I gave credit to MuscleJunkie for the tail pipe size. I wondered why his guys went with 2-1/4" tailpipes. I wouldn't have thought of going a bit smaller till I saw that the Pro's did on his. It makes sense that the headers, cats, mufflers, resonators and pipes...
  16. B

So, you are up to the challenge, been there done that and going deeper than I ever have tuned. Wow, Go Man, Go! Ahhh, I was goin to mention the cam. I have kept things simple for me with the stock cam or in the past with one that I know plays nice. I do understand that all of what you see in...
  17. B

I have only have needed to adjust the base timing table and base fuel table. I was looking for and can't find a piece I had on how the EECV calculates Load.
  18. B

Yikes! I'd be after help. I can tune decently, but the only thing I could do with a high load calc. would be to compare that tune to the stock tune to make sure nothing got changed. I seem to remember Mike G. having to fix something with my Tweecer tune strategy and a high load calc. It's been...
  19. B

1999 Mounty 5.0 aka My Great Bad Idea

I did a quick look and see 3-6 month for gasoline to degrade and the 10% alcohol in it degrades at twice the rate. With stabilizer, 6-8 months. I'd add at least 3X's premium to what you have in the tank now which is might be almost full anyway.
  20. B

Whoops I suppose old gas that has lost octane could do a similar thing. It shouldn't currently benefit from premium unless you are needing to add some octane to the old gas. We know premium wont hurt. That gas doesn't seem that old and with stabilizer added, but I would rule it out as it is...
  21. B

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

I read a bit more and learned about the Flash Point of Methanol/H2O. That is the lowest temperature at which vapors above the mix ignite in air when exposed to flame. Imagine that, the first You-Tube source was not taking into account temperature. I found a chart and at about 86 degrees a 40/60...
  22. B

Cool, but thinking of wiring-in a fire alarm to keep from blowing up the engine! Blown is as Blown do! A flicker would work if I place the LED where I can't miss it, cause the boost gauge/controller with low level indicator goes down in the center consul and I don't watch it much when done...
  23. B

I looked this up: Run the engine at 2,000 RPM and observe your oxygen sensor voltages. If your O2 sensor is in good condition, it should react to oxygen content and change voltages quickly. A properly functioning oxygen sensor will show a rapidly fluctuating output voltage between approximately...
  24. B

The IAT sensor is on the number 5 cylinder intake runner as I am using an F150/Bronco lower. It heat soaks and usually reads close to the ECT. I do see it climb rapidly with boost so it will indicate cooling when it works. I hope I see some good results. I am taken back that you didn't get...
  25. B

I didn't want to pay for custom. The stock pieces are not as good as custom mandrel bent stuff, but it's a less expensive alternative. I think it will be good to 400HP which I also think is about the header maximum. I am not a fine finisher and more about function so it is pretty rough looking...
Back