Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

How to: Diagnosing DPFE Sensor (P0401 and P0402) with Scan Tool

No time waste... it's a mission to figure out a lot of things on these rigs. Exploder=8th Wonder of the World. Even Ford mechanics admitt it (I used to work at a stealership as a receptionist).
  2. E

No I haven't actually... I know the local "parts stores" don't list it.
  3. E

Gen 1 My explorer is Gen 1... any difference in the old sensor versus the new plastic one though?
  4. E

Dpfe No the plug in the picture on napa is OVAL shaped where as the old one looks like it's different shaped? Have you changed on of these from an original OEM part to a new OEM spec'd aftermarket?
  5. E

dpfe SO... how does one swap out the old sensor for a new one when the plugs seem to be differently shapped? New plug is ovalish where as new one is not... explain?
  6. E

1995 ford explorer temperature gauge problem

Movement... Mine isn't a little movement. It switches back and forth between the N on the NORMAL and the A or L.. It doesn't soar above it but it does go back and forth. No clues. They pressure tested the damn thing and checked for hydrocarbons and they find NADA. I have no clue. HOWEVER we do...
  7. E

bird chirp -- water pump?

Not the my case.. Mechanics were able to verify that it isn't belt, pulleys, or tensioners OR the intake gasket. They think it's some kind of feedback or valve noise. Either way they say the engine is fine. No CEL's other than DPFE code which will get fixed when I get the tranny done first...
  8. E

bird chirp -- water pump?

Heh heh I have it too but it won't squeek when in neutral or park... so I have no fricken clue. It's intermittent... stays for 15 minutes sometimes and goes away for months. It went away for about two weeks when I had my upper and lower intake gaskets done. Gonna make the mechanics make sure...
  9. E

1994 Explorer Craziness - Heatercore Maybe?

I replaced and then CHECKED the new sending unit... it seems to pass the test. But the mechanic says it will when the actuator thingy is shorting and not gone yet. I have other strangeness with other gauges.
  10. E

Yipes No... mine was leaking coolant when pressure tested and pinging. Fixing the gaskets upper and lower fixed that prob... did not fix temp fluctuation... he thinks the temp fluctuation has something to do with the actuator or something like that on the back of the cluster. He thinks it is...
  11. E

Oh yeah, replaced intake gaskets, radiator and everything else but heatercore/HG but both work and don't leak. That's why mechnic says gauge is funky. Even did sender.
  12. E

Mine goes over the middle mark but stays within the normal range. I had my system checked for HG issues. It passed the pressure and the hydrocarbon test. Still I get crazy fluctuation. My mechanic said it was the cluster it's self and that it's common.
  13. E

Gauges I still have hella fluctuation and the system is working right...the gauge just isn't. I even replaced the thermo against just for safety. My mechanic said something about the actuator in it going bad in these (the cluster gauge actuator). I had the radiator tested for hydrocarbons (aka...
  14. E

I've replaced the thermo TWICE. Because I was paranoid about it. Still has a wacko gauge. Heater core and heat are fine. My mechanic thinks the actuator (spelling off) or something else electrical is weird in my cluster. We already replaced the sending unit and checked the head gasket and...
  15. E

Lower Ball Joint Issues

One side, they checked the other and say it's fine so I dunno. They said it was a waste of money to fix it at this point. Weird.. you'd think they'd want my money LOL
  16. E

Lower Ball Joint Issues

I probably misunderstood what the guy said. Blonde moment perhaps? (Not blonde but who knows) it has turning squeeks and a bit of shake. He said only lower is bad but he did say same as you about doing both sides uppers and lowers. Only $295 and this level of nonsence is out of my shade tree...
  17. E

Lower Ball Joint Issues

I had my suspension inspected and my shop said lower left bal joint is worn and tire has 2" of play. Is that a lot? I don't know specs which is why I had shop check. I get my tax return in about 2-3 weeks. Should I drive the spare car for now?
  18. E

No kidding. I had my timing chain cover replaced.. I'm being told that it was probably never leaking (since it didn't fix the leak) and that the above mentioned evil intake gasket isn't far from it... it was probably this the whole time. Nice to know I got a $700 oil change in the end (LOL) not...
  19. E

The latest... Thermo was installed properly with bleeder at 12, so was my radiator cap (replaced I mean). I had the system pressure tested and it turns out my intake manifold gasket is shot. Painful... but it'll be fixed by tomorrow evening.
  20. E

Wiring Schematic

Thanks though, this may help some!
  21. E

Wiring Schematic

It doesn't show where / what wiring goes to what gauges at the cluster though... I need that wiring also. Anyone have that info?
  22. E

Wiring Schematic

Does anyone have the instrument cluster wiring schematic for gen 1? Or specifically for a 1994?
  23. E

Actually, the interesting part is that the gauge is only working intermittently period now. TS-unit has been replaced so I'm either going to have to get an external gauge or replace the cluster. Not something I'm in the mood for this exact second.
Back