Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Transmission Cooler Failure - Next Steps?

Rather than just replacing the trans cooler, I would want them to replace the transmission also. The heat could damage the frictions in the clutch packs, especially if there was any excessive slippage. It could have damaged the bushings and thrust washers, again due to excessive heat. There...
  2. T

Rough Idle... High Hydrocarbons

Two thoughts: Have you checked fuel pressure in the fuel rail? If you check, and pressure drops after you shut down, then there are a couple things that can allow that, one being a leaking injector that drizzles a bit of fuel into the intake, and could cause the high HC reading. Second thing...
  3. T

Rough Idle... High Hydrocarbons

I have to disagree about 'All cars from 1986 have them, it's mandatory.' I own an 87 with a Vulcan that has no EGR. Never had one, and confused the heck out of the CA SMOG test stations when I had to have it checked. There are exceptions.
  4. T

Dumb Dimmer Question

Do you have one of the 'person 1 person 2' gizmos that remember settings based upon who is behind the wheel? Could be it need to verify which driver you are and set the dimmer for that profile. Other than that, I'd be perusing the owners manual as I have no clue. First thought was a need so...
  5. T

Hi! I am new to the forum and have a weird issue with a just rebuilt 2005 Ford 4.0 head gasket

Of/when you do pull the heads, get out a straightedge and check. Could be one of the two machine shops had the newguy do some of the work and perhaps skipped a step. If they prove to be untrue, then I would be after them for a set of gaskets and TTY head bolts. You won't get the labor and...
  6. T

1988 ranger 5 speed. turn key and nothing.

I think you still have about a half dozen fusible links on the battery side of the starter relay. They can get corroded or work their way loose such that no juice will pass(they are STACKED, so first one that loses contact means all that follow, more or less, do also). Check also tightness of...
  7. T

A4LD Automatic Trans Cold 1-2 Shift Solved

The only comment is that the filter & mount sure look exposed to any road debris and tall curbs. Maybe it is the context, and it is protected, but it sure looks as if just about anything can whack it. I would bet that the Seafoam dissolved some sort of varnish on the governor as they are...
  8. T

rebuild/recondition window motors?

Slow operation can be due to 1)guides needing lube and 2)weak or gummy motors. {also, slipping innards for those that have a spring-clutch built in} I don't think you can buy OEM brushes, but would have to find some and cut them down to fit, then arc them to match the armature brush curve. I...
  9. T

A4LD Automatic Trans Cold 1-2 Shift Solved

Be careful if you take it to a quick lube joint. They might replace the transmission filter instead of the engine filter.... That is a lot of 'crud' sloshing around for an A4LD. They mostly don't make that much unless something is coming apart. The factory pan that had a round spot near one...
  10. T

1996 Ranger

If you have the Lima 2.3/2.5, the gauge sensor is located on the drivers side of the block, pretty much under the rearmost intake manifold runner. Some have a separate sensor for computer use. If the fuel gauge is inoperative also, you may have a failed voltage regulator. The regulator is a...
  11. T

A real puzzler, where did I go wrong?

If you have a cam with aggressive timing, you might be fooling the ECM into thinking you are under more load than actual, leading it to enrich the fuel mix. Cam position sensor will not affect valve / piston geometry, so cannot hurt valves. tom
  12. T

engine cuts out intermittantly

If the truck seems to lose power and slow down as it is on its way to dying, it may be due to lack of fuel. If it cuts off more immediately, I'd be looking at ignition problems or power loss to the computer or ignition. I think you can swap relays to substitute for the fuel pump relay in case...
  13. T

Power Steering Pump O Ring

The large nut on the side of the pump holds the spring loaded overpressure relief valve in place. It has an O-ring that can be replaced separately, from memory. You can buy a 'reseal kit' from Ford for some pumps which will include multiple O-rings and seals. The one I had included a large...
  14. T

Steering Wheel Play

If you can see the pittman arm or have someone watch, move the steering wheel back and forth slightly while watching. If the pittman arm doesn't move until the steering wheel has moved some distance, there's slop in the rag or the steering box. The pittman should move as soon as the wheel is...
  15. T

stoichiometric-air-fuel-ratio I didn't follow closely, but just read this: In 3rd gear, the engine is at 1400 rpm at 30 mph, in 4th with the torque converter locked up it's at 1800 at 60 mph. That's too many to expect the mileage the other rangers are getting. Should be closer to 1k...
  16. T

2000 Ranger Alternator?

Using the parts store tester is a good idea. I would add that you should also check the condition of the battery. If it has a shorted cell, it can get low voltage quickly, and be unable to crank the engine. It can also damage the alternator by overloading the output. I have read that...
  17. T

2007 Ranger 2.8 diesel

Bill, take a look at images on Google. Search for images of the 2007 in the US, and I bet it may be similar to yours. I don't think the 'world' Ranger was debuted until later that 2007. That makes me think a lot of parts may be more universal than thought. What are you looking for in...
  18. T

If the O2's are showing proper ratio... then you get what you get. It is running correctly and getting the right mix. I think you are on track: "Still, push comes to shove, I think I'm fighting an efficiency problem, not a fuel management problem." What rpms are you turning at 30 & 60 mph...
  19. T

Tap, Tap, Tapping noise from the engine

This discussion is about a noise from a dipstick tube that had been moved from block to block, or possibly nudged while working on the engine. The tube inside the crankcase just needed to be moved out of the way of the rotating crankshaft throw, either the weights or the connecting rod journal...
  20. T

1990 Ford Ranger

Conveniently located for your perusal: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146953 Or perhaps more relevant: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386923 And directly to the servo spring 'words'...
  21. T

2000 2.5L Ranger ignition operation

Try this explanation: http://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/identifying-and-understanding-ford-ignition-systems.3764/ tom
  22. T

HELP cylinder 4 and 6 misfire

If you are absolutely sure it is two cylinders misfiring, and they are not adjacent to each other, then I'd do a compression check on all 3 on that side. Pull and inspect the spark plugs looking to see if they have been 'washed' by coolant. If you have been 'burning' coolant, you will soon get...
  23. T

Does a 07 Ford Escape have a tranmission filter?

The CD4E has an internal screen that will catch some stuff, but there is no filter that can be replaced without removing and disassembling the transmission. You could install an in-line filter in the cooler lines if you want, but there should be no need for a filter unless the transmission is...
  24. T

88 Ranger Will not pass smog

They sure don't make it easy, do they? Sorry to hear your relative passed, no matter how much we know it's coming, it still is painful. My truck aged out of the Georgia system, so no more SMOG testing. I always wondered if it would pass each time, even thought I kept up with filters, etc. I...
  25. T

88 Ranger Will not pass smog

I've been looking for the past four months for the final result... Were the valves burned in #4? Did you ever get it to pass smog? Or are you really really retired and don't want to bother posting the answer? {you sold it and bought a Dodge...?} tom
Back