Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Rear Diff replacement

So first I’m going to check the fill on the rear diff and add an additive. I know that the suggested fill level is slightly misleading and can result in under fill. I will fill it slightly above the fill hole. I am sourcing low miles replacement diffs, and if I can get one I will buy it, say...
  2. E

Rear Diff replacement

Thanks, I appreciate your comment
  3. E

Rear Diff replacement

Good idea, yes.
  4. E

Rear Diff replacement

Thanks, I am not able at this point to do this myself, I can get the diff changed out for about $700 if I supply the part. Used seem to be around $300 +/- so about a grand out the door. If I can find a local (Denver) used unit I could crack the case and check. I understand that a “wiggle” test...
  5. E

Rear Diff replacement

2003 mountaineer rear differential is going out, grinding. It’s a 3.55, open no stability control. I’m looking to have a used unit put in, but I’m concerned that a used unit may have bad bearings as well! I guess I could try to find a low mileage one and crack it to take a look before having it...
  6. E

Advice is needed for servo bore sleeve replacement.

Yes, I did that, worked perfectly.
  7. E

Differential noise

Agreed
  8. E

Differential noise

Yea, saw that and read up, I did just see the “in vehicle” ring and pinion repair section, not sure if this actually can be done?
  9. E

Differential noise

Hi, I am thinking I will try replacing the nearly 20 year old carrier bushings in the rear as I am thinking that the old, now hard, bushings are transferring more noise than a new set might? Ideas?
  10. E

Help Changing Rear Differential Fluid

Overfill half a quart…?
  11. E

2003 Mountaineer for Off-road

Is it possible to swap in a LSD on that AWD?
  12. E

Adding limited slip

2003 mountaineer 4.0 awd Currently does not have LS, anyone ever replace their diff with one? Or perhaps alter the center section? I think my bearings are n the way out so....
  13. E

Mounty rear wheel bearing question

thanks, I checked and I was looking at both front bearing kits as well as rear kits that pictured the bearing and hub together. So just the bearing on rear, and yes I will take your suggestion on brand, My plan is to have a machine shop press them in, in know a few good ones. And thanks for...
  14. E

( Bump Anybody?
  15. E

Hole(s) in radiator & JB Weld?

Yes, it works very well. Kwik set Likes it dry....but JB makes a putty specifically for tanks...
  16. E

Solenoid and valve body?

I did the servos using the aftermarket units recommended here, make sure to do a band adjust afterwards... I also replaced the solenoid as I was having some delayed shifting. New solenoid all seem to be Bosch, make SURE to soak it well and get the unit tightened correctly.... Refilling my...
  17. E

looking at rear wheel bearings, I'm unclear as to why the parts I see seem to show the bearings already pressed into a mounting plate?
  18. E

TPS off?

runs well, getting 10 mpg in town. So, tested TPS output with my elm unit and forescan, idle is 1, WOT is under 2. Pull sensor, clean TB and MAF, replace TPS. Sound good? I will test the bugger when I get it out, but I will already have a new one anyway. No codes, but that's not unusual...
  19. E

Transmission help anyone?

So I had installed a new solenoid pack as well as updated servos. The fluid fill was tricky!! But it finally worked..
  20. E

SOLVED: So it was fluid, although I had I filled and checked by a mechanic, it was almost 1.5 qts low, maybe more.....Checking and filling these bottom fill units really is an art- must be warm, running, level, pump in fluid until it starts running out in a "steady stream".... I also added a...
  21. E

Ok good idea, I had checjed it motor running in Park previously but it seems like one has to get used to it. I'll jack in another pint and see how she looks while running. I assume that while running the pan level is less as fluid is pumped into the tyranny?
  22. E

Thanks, adding a Qt, 2 pints at a time really improved the issue, but not completely. She still has a momentary delay/slip after a fast stop. I'm still suspecting sone kind of filter issue but will add anorher pint and see, then check the filter next week. I'm told that an O ring can fail...
  23. E

Ok, so added about a qt. mercon v, truck warmed up to first mark, engine off. Used a pump, filled until i had a steady stream. Again, filling with engine off this time, Ford says engine running. Symptoms have been greatly reduced. Previously a hard stop virtually immobilized me. Now it is a...
  24. E

Ok, i can do that, ill report back.
Back