Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Patty has passed on.

That's for the rear fog light for the Canadian spec Explorers. Some US Explorers have the same bumper (with the cutouts) with plain reflectors installed rather than the red rear fog lights.
  2. H

Headlight question

That would be my first guess. I'm relatively sure that the 1998 does not have the LOM (1997 was the last year).
  3. H

1997 Explorer v6 4.0 SOHC Mysterious Vacuum line...?

There are two vacuum lines that go into the blower box. One is an output from the HVAC controls that operates the heater control valve that DaExplorer pointed out. The other is the vacuum line that feeds the HVAC controls (the flaps that direct airflow are all vacuum operated). This line...
  4. H

ABS Light P0500 & No Speed O

Your mismatched tires are most likely the issue. For a minute, I thought you had the 5.0 AWD, in which case the mismatched tires would be an even larger issue. I can explain why the code reader was unable to give you more detailed information. The ABS light being on is the key - this indicates...
  5. H

auto temp control innoperative

That's for a newer version of the EATC system. For the 1998-2000 Explorer (possibly 1995-1997 as well), this is the proper troubleshooting information. This is from He did a conversion from manual to EATC in his Ranger using the Explorer EATC system. There is a very good description of the...
  6. H

My truck won't start in the cold!

Just noticed I never updated this with the complete resolution. Like I said, the main problem ended up being the coil pack. On examination of the old coil pack, there was a good amount of rust on the exposed metal on the bottom. I broke it apart and it appears that moisture had gotten inside and...
  7. H

My great mess... 95 limited

A PCM replacement/reprogramming would only be necessary if the engine or transmission was replaced with a different type than was in the vehicle originally. Each PCM program for the Explorer is designed to work with a certain engine type and transmission type - they are not uniquely programmed...
  8. H

Sorry for the delay in updating - got a bit slammed with work the past few days. Long story short, the problem was the ignition coil even though it tested ok electrically. I'll post details soon. Thanks again for all the help!
  9. H

Hi all, I've never had to use the 911 forum before, and I sure hope someone here can help ASAP. The title says it all - starting a few weeks before Christmas, my truck has been unable to start (or very hard starting) when the temperature dips into the single digits (Fahrenheit). My truck is a...
  10. H

Weird Noise from behind guages

I have exactly the same noise. I assumed it was timing chain rattle, though I've always been suspicious that it may be something else, since it sounds more plastic-y than metallic. Same as yours, it occurs around 2500-2700 RPM, sound like it's coming from behind the instrument cluster, doesn't...
  11. H

Need Help Choosing a Battery - Optima or Interstate?

If you're thinking about running the amp for any amount of time with the engine off, you should consider a 2 battery system. Here's why: Starting batteries (like the Red-top) are designed to provide very high amperage output (cranking amps). However, this comes at the cost of total capacity -...
  12. H

Help name this part!

If you're talking about the little rectangle bolted to the engine, that's the DPFE (Differential Pressure Feedback EGR) sensor. It's part of the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system.It's recommended to buy an OEM replacement, as the aftermarket ones are known to have problems.
  13. H

Serious Problem With Power Rack!!! I need HELP!

Either the rack is messed up, or there is still a ton of air in the system. This is a known issue when air gets into the PS system, but usually nowhere near that bad. There are a few threads around here on it, and more videos on YouTube...
  14. H

Removing face-plate from stock CD receiver

All the stock head units I've seen from '98-'01 use LED's, which shouldn't burn out. If you want to look, you'll need the special Ford radio tool to pull the radio. There should be 2 or 4 screws holding the faceplate on, then it just snaps off.
  15. H

no fog light switch illumination

Did you put the bulb in the "new" $4 switch? If so, you probably grabbed one from a '95-'97 model that had a more blue-ish illumination color. The bulbs are clear (at least mine were) - the color filter is in the button. If you put the new clear bulb in your original switch, you should have the...
  16. H

I need help

You need an alignment. If the truck had an alignment in the recent past (while the bad ball joints were on), then putting new ball joints on would screw up the alignment. It's important to get an alignment after any front end work involving the upper/lower ball joints or tie rod ends. It's...
  17. H

no fog light switch illumination

The light is replaceable. You have to pull the radio out, then remove the trim ring around the radio hole and HVAC controls (two screws). From there, disconnect the wires going to the trim panel and unscrew the assembly containing the defrost and fog light switches. Each switch snaps into the...
  18. H

Help with 98 Explorer running hot !

I think there are several tutorials around here on replacing the thermostat, possibly with pictures. It's different for the OHV and the SOHC engines (I'm assuming you've got a V6 since it's a Sport), so just search for the appropriate one.
  19. H

Help with 98 Explorer running hot !

Have you looked at the thermostat?
  20. H

95 Limited won't fire but turns over

Silly question, but just how much gas do you have? I once parked my X nose down (like you did) on a steep hill with over 1/4 tank of gas. Several hours later, it wouldn't start. Easily solved by coasting down the hill to a flatter area, and it fired right up. If the hill is steep enough, it can...
  21. H

Make this thing stop beeping at me !!!!

It's probably a burned out airbag warning light - if it doesn't light up when you turn the truck on, then you need to remove the instrument cluster and replace the bulb. When the bulb is burned out, the system will beep at you if it detects a problem with the airbags (since it can't warn you...
  22. H

HELP!!!Major Road Block Installing a New Head-Unit into a 99 EB with Mach Audio!!!

You only need the adapter for one harness (the rectangular connector). The other two cover the subwoofer (small connector) and the rear audio controls/CD changer/steering wheel controls (large square-ish connector). I don't know of a way to interface the CD changer or rear controls to an...
  23. H

4.0 SOHC Sticky Gas Pedal

There's also a small adjustment screw on the throttle body that is supposed to stop the throttle from closing too tightly. I had to adjust it on mine to eliminate the sticky throttle situation since cleaning the gunk out didn't quite do the trick. However, you only need to adjust it a small...
  24. H

New owner, couple of problems

The flashing O/D light could be many things. If you just got the truck, first step is to check the transmission fluid. Check both the level and the color. Also wouldn't hurt to take a look at all the other fluids as well. You already found low coolant, so I'd go over it very carefully to make...
  25. H

5 continuous bells on startup

I'm assuming by ECL you mean the Check Engine Light (aka Multifunction Indicator Lamp). I don't have any documentation for that, only my own experience. I tried replacing the bulb with an LED - after that I got a chime every time I started the vehicle (not the same as the airbag one). Swapped...
Back