Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

Clinking noice from underneath

Clinking noice problem fixed Hi Wary-Wary, The protective shield at the bottom of the cat came lose. The front welding gave way. Vibrations caused the shield to bang against the cat. I used a stainless steel hose clamp to tighten it up. Thanks for pointing me at the right direction. Much...
  2. V

Clinking noice from underneath

I notice an intermittent clinking noise from underneath. It seems to be from right behind the transmission and the noise comes on and off regardless if it is in park, neutral, or drive. I can hear it with the windows roll down when driving. It sound very metallic, as if something is lose...
  3. V

Suspected Noise from Rear Suspension

I heard a metallic "thump" from underneath when I go over a bump or just just uneven surface in the last few days. The noise seems to come from the rear suspension on the driver's side. It is intermittent. I crawled underneath and tried to find if there are any lose or broken parts or...
  4. V

Brake Job

I have my Ex since 1997, and still have the original brake rotors and pads. It has 120,600Km (78,120miles) on it. I use the brakes sparingly.....I am one of those who coast to a red light. Now she sits in the garage most of the time. I do not drive to work anymore. So far everything seems...
  5. V

Clunking Noise Over Bumps

Thanks, guys. I went under myself and looked at the front end. It is the vertical arm, the end joint is all gone, leaving the arm hanging lose at the bottom. For now, I cut a piece of cheese cloth, soaked in oil and wrapped it at the top, so that the top fit into the hole, and tied it with nylon...
  6. V

Clunking Noise Over Bumps

Hi Guys, Lately I hear a sporadic "clunk" from the front wheel of passenger side when I go over a bump. I went for an oil change yesterday and asked the guy in the pit to take a look underneath. "Broken tie rod" was the answer. Hmmmm... 1. Front end is still perfectly aligned, I could go...
  7. V

Rubber Hoses. How long do they last?

Thanks, guys. I changed may rubber hose and the clamps. The position of the drain plug is very awkward, it is behind a piece of rubber protection which accumulates gravels behind it. The coolant came out spraying and brought the gravels with it into my waiting bucket. I ended using a funnel...
  8. V

Rubber Hoses. How long do they last?

I am just about to go on a long trip. The Explorer is in excellent shape, with only 117,000 Km on it. But, I am not sure how long will the rubber hoses between the engine block and the radiator will last. I squeezed on the hoses, felt a bit soft. I don't want busted hose on my holiday. I may...
  9. V

Front & rear differential fluids

The front of mine was with 80W90 gear oil a while ago, without friction modifier. So far so good (cross my fingers). The rear differential was left untouched.:) :can:
  10. V

ABS Question

Hi EK98, I have a 97 4-WD 4L/SOHC. I still have the original Ford detailed specs. In the 97 model, the brakes are "4-wheel power disc with 4-wheel anti-lock system", regardless if they are 2-WD or 4-WD, for all trim levels. I hope this helps. Regards, Victorysail
  11. V

97 Explorer wont start

Hi Dennis, Mine is also 97 4.0L SOHC. Do you have problem with your radio settings or clock settings lately. The settings got wiped out sporadically when I start the engine. It is a sign of a slowly dying battery, and could drop dead any moment. I changed my battery yesterday and all is fine...
  12. V

Clock and Radio Settings wiped out

Thanks guys. I changed my battery today, took me 30 mins. All is well now. Amazing, my original battery lasted 10 years!! Procastination is a sin.
  13. V

Clock and Radio Settings wiped out

Hi Folks, My Ex behaves strangely in the last month. This is sporadic. The clock and radio station settings got wiped when I crank the engine. It happens only when the crank sounded a bit slow and soft (tick-ah-ha-ha-ha....growl) sometimes, as opposed to a strong and health sound...
  14. V

My A/C is dead...the fan still works

:eek: My air conditioner went dead yesterday, in the middle of a hot July. The fan works, but the A/C does not kick in. I checked the fuse, it was ok. No sign of leakage or other symptoms before, it just died. In Alberta, normally we are not too hot here, and the A/C was used only...
  15. V

Temp gauge not working

Hi Punko, My 97 SOHC temp gauge never go beyond one-third. The thermostat was replaced about nine months ago because the old one got stuck and the temp gauge shot right up to High after 20 minutes of driving. I would not worry as long as long as the reading stays at one-third.
  16. V

Front and rear differential fluids - continue Thanks guys, for the response. I will leave the rear differential alone for now. I'll likely use the 80W90 gear oil for the front. It looks kind of gummy brownish last time I looked at it. Dealers are a rip-off....propably will get the right tool...
  17. V

My Ex is nine years old, but only has 107,000 Km (66,340 miles) on it. So far so good, except a bit of slipperage on the tranny between 1st & 2nd occasionally. The guys at the Quick Lude place said I need to change my front and real differential fluid when I go in next time. I thought I read...
  18. V

Alberta folk..... where ya be?

One more Calgarian Hi Folks, Greeting to everybody. Here is another Calgarian. I own a business on 17th Ave., SW, somewhere close ot the Hot Mile. My 97 EX is charcoal grey, with thin reflective red stripe on the body side moulding, and a Canadian Warplane Heritage logo on the...
  19. V

2-3 Flare 5R55E Product Defect

I like to start a product defect class action suit against Ford on the defective 5R55E transmission. My Explorer has only 98,000 Km (61,250 miles) on it and the 2nd/3rd gear shift delay is getting worst. I have followed all the maintenance schedule recommended by Ford, and the truck has been...
  20. V

Shift delay in the tranny

The shift from 2nd to 3rd gear in my EX hesitates if I am driving in the city. It is okay if I do a quick acceleration. The tranny was checked and fluid/filter changed recently. The mechanic said the tranny is in very good shape, could be one of the many sensors. This occurs only between 20Km/H...
  21. V

Frint & Rear Differential Fluids

Went for an oil change the other day in one those dirve thru places and the guy in charge :bounce: :bounce: said that my front and rear differential fluids need change. Mine is a '97 4.0L SOHC with only 92,000Km (or 56,000 miles), and also my fan and assessories belt need change ? I remember...
  22. V

European Explorer???

Canadian Explorers Travis, Canadian Explorers have the following - daytime running light - speedometer and odometer calibrated in Kilometers - amber turn signals - all fluid level in litres
  23. V

Timing Chain Tensioner - OOM12

I got my Timing Chain Tensioner and the Lower Intake Manifold O-ring fixed today. The rattling sound in my SOHC was sort of intermittent, not loud, once in a while. I have only 70,000Km (42,000ml) on my truck, but I have read enough horror stories about the breakdown of the timing chain on the...
  24. V

strange "rattle-like" noise sometimes. any ideas?

tbomb, it could be the problem with the tensioner on the timing chain. Does it sound like a clickling sound ? (Is yours the SOHC ?) Look at recall number OOM12.
  25. V

Front wheel bearings

Front Wheel Bearings - Continue I just happened to read through the Ford Service Guide for the 1997 Explorer again (FCS-12918-97SG). It stated to "Inspect and lubricate front wheel bearings" at the 48,000Km (30,000Miles) and 96,000Km (65,000Miles) service intervals. I understand that these are...
Back