Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Which remanufactured engine should I choose? Promar? Motorcraft?

For that little price difference, I personally would go with a Motorcraft without hesitating.
  2. J

Inertia switch

The inertia switch is just a normally-closed contact. It opens if it is shaken too hard. What that means is that the two wires going to it are normally making contact, but if the vehicle rolls or whatever, the two wires stop making contact. If you want to test the switch, unhook the wires...
  3. J

Dana 35 front pumpkin removal

I hesitated to respond to this after I saw who posted it, as I hold 4x4junkie in very high regards after reading his posts for years. Having said that, wouldn't the notch in the radius arm only affect a left-right load, whereas radius arms only receive front-back loads? I don't think the front...
  4. J

Starter issues

When you hook up ground to where? To the block? You could unhook the positive lead from the battery and check resistance (ohms) between the negative battery terminal and the starter chassis. It should be close to zero. If I remember correctly, the negative cable goes from the battery, then has a...
  5. J

Can a first gen ex's wiring harness for an auto work in a manual?

I resent this statement. I personally don't have any issues with wiring, but I know people who are on the other end of the spectrum. There are some AMAZING mechanics out there who are great at everything mechanical, with fantastic attention to detail, but don't fully understand electrical...
  6. J

Starter issues

Roscoe meant you short from the battery lead to the starter lead. Both should be heavy gauge wires. If it turns over, then your solenoid is likely bad. Have you verified voltage? I know you said you tried a different battery, but it is possible that you are not getting enough voltage. Good...
  7. J

2010 Radiator Replacement, Top off ATF?

She broke the mounts by running the vehicle up a snow bank. She ripped off the license place and the lower black bumper trim (deflector?), cracked the bumper, and broke both radiator mounts. The reason she was using my vehicle was because her vehicle was in the body shop from her last collision...
  8. J

2010 Radiator Replacement, Top off ATF?

2010 Ford Explorer 4x4 V6. Around 75k miles. Rear climate control. Background: I had to remove my radiator last summer because my girlfriend broke both the side mounts for it. I put in all new coolant. Because the transmission cooler goes through the radiator, and because the vehicle had around...
  9. J

2008 Explorer transfer case swap

Out of curiosity, is only the auto-4x4 clutch-actuated, or is the selectable 4x4 also engaged using clutches? Sorry I can't answer your question.
  10. J

TPMS sensors - yes or no

It depends on how hands-on you are with your vehicle and maintenance. If you are the kind of guy who waits until you see a light on your dash, then you bring it to the respective service department, then I think you should keep the TPMS functional. If you are like me, and you a) maintain your...
  11. J

1990 Ranger 4.0 and drivetrain Fargo, ND

Anyone wanting to do a 4.0 swap this seems like a good deal! https://fargo.craigslist.org/pts/6031382659.html
  12. J

4.0 transmission pan tq specs

2010 Explorer with 4wd and 4.0. I think I have a 5R55S transmission; is that correct? Looking for the torque specs for the bolts that hold the transmission filter and the bolts around the transmission pan. Searching has shown ~10 ft lbs, but the first pan bolt snapped before I got to 10, so I...
  13. J

The Great Explorer Part Giveaway

I would love the K&N Filter and the rear cargo liner if they are not spoken for. Price to 58503? Thanks! - Joe
  14. J

Max Tire size on 2007 explorer?

More importantly (in my opinion) than gas mileage is speedometer accuracy. Yes, you will be coming out ahead by having your odometer showing less miles than you actually drive, but a few speeding tickets will easily offset the price of a few less miles. In my offroad vehicle with lift kit/ big...
  15. J

Radiator trans cooler seal

I lost the two rubber washers that go between the inside of the radiator and the trans cooler in the lower tank. Does anyone know a part number for these? I believe Ford says to replace the radiator if these are misplaced, but I think it is ridiculous to buy a new radiator for two little...
  16. J

2010 oil change

tripplec what brand/weight/quantity of oil to you buy for $30 on here? Very vague! I think everyone who reads your post will be wondering the same question. :) Thanks. - Joe
  17. J

Successful Radiator Change and COP coils

What makes me nervous about replacing the radiator is that they have transmission fluid going through it. Do you have to add transmission fluid after replacing the radiator? Thanks. - Joe
  18. J

Radiator shroud and support removal

Thanks for the input. The shroud is a split down the middle, but the lower part is where there is damage. I have a new one on the way, but I need to get the dang thing out. My beater/work car is a 2004 Taurus, and I really wish she would have just wrecked that instead. But, I did the gentleman...
  19. J

Radiator shroud and support removal

I have a 2010 Ford Explorer with the 4.0. I made the mistake of letting my girlfriend borrow the vehicle, and she returned it with a cracked front bumper cover, broken license plate mount, broken fan shroud, and broken radiator mounts. I am working on replacing both radiator side-supports and...
  20. J

2010 oil change

Yes, Ford recommends Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend. I always change my own oil and I always run Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 and K&N filters. Oil changes could be a lot cheaper if I went with store brand oil and garbage filters, but I will not skimp on the single most important fluid for...
  21. J

For Sale Spartan Locker for 8.8

Looks like I can get a new one for $250. Would you do $150 shipped to 58503? - Joe
  22. J

WTB 94 Explorer drivers door panel

I have a grey panel from a 1992 sport with power locks and windows. I would do $40+shipping, but I'm in North Dakota, so I am guessing shipping might be steep.
  23. J

PASSENGER SIDE RADIUS ARM NEEDED

Manual or auto hubs? I think I might have spindle hardware for auto hubs laying around.
  24. J

Wanted Intermediate shaft first generation

I have one as well if you still need. Actually out of a '92 sport even.
  25. J

Manual BW 13-54 swap info needed

Does anyone know an updated part number for the shift linkage?
Back