Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Rearview Camera Problems

Peter, The explorer is working after I replaced the camera last year. The 2013 Explorer did not require any programming to work when I replaced the camera. The black screen and camera not available message I mentioned previously was on my 2015 Mustang GT. It is still intermittent, but I'm...
  2. W

Windshield wipers won't stop

I have owned a 2002 GT Mustang, 2003 Mustang Cobra, 2010 F150, 2013 Explorer, and 2015 Mustang GT. The 2013 explorer and 2015 mustang have had backup cameras that only work from time to time, inverters in consoles that never work, and now the wiper stalk failing. The 2012 Focus had MFT issues...
  3. W

Windshield wipers won't stop

The rear wiper on my wife's 2013 explorer limited wouldn't turn off last week. I found this thread and youtube videos documenting the problem. It appeared to be the wiper stalk that was usually the problem, so I ordered a new one off of Amazon for $32.15, part #SW7688. I replaced the stalk...
  4. W

Rearview Camera Problems

None of my cars have the park assist. The explorer has the rear sonar that always works. The mustang backup lines do curve to match the steering wheel positioning to predict the backup path. When the camera doesn't work, I just get a black screen with camera not available message.
  5. W

Rearview Camera Problems

Update: I replaced the camera on the 2013 explorer a few weeks ago, and it is 100% fixed. It had stopped working completely before the replacement. The 2015 mustang backup camera is working 100% of the time now that the weather has turned cold. I'll hold on to the new camera until the stock...
  6. W

Rearview Camera Problems

Both my wife's 2013 Explorer Limited and my 2015 Mustang GT have intermittent backup camera issues. I just ordered both for close to $390 total. The explorer part was $303, and the mustang part was $80ish. Both cameras functionality seem to vary based on temperature and how you tie your shoes...
  7. W

PTU Problems

I believe I was quoted $600-$800 USD for the part depending on salvage versus new. The labor seems like it was a few hours or $300 to $500 USD. I keep getting the PTU replacement quotes mixed up with the clutch replacement quotes on my wife's 2012 Focus Titanium before Ford actually extended...
  8. W

"New to me" 2013 Limited owner with 2 questions

My 02 Tacoma, 10 Tacoma, and the wife's 00 Celica, 06 Rav4 were all pretty much perfect running cars that never had an issue. My 02 GT Mustang, 03 Cobra Mustang, and 10 F150 never had issues either. The 12 Focus, 13 explorer, and the stories I read here and elsewhere on the newer ford FWD...
  9. W

"New to me" 2013 Limited owner with 2 questions

It's possible the dealership took this car on trade or bought it at auction and had their body shop respray the bumper cover due to some 5mph "rubbing's racing" type marks on the cover. I replaced the evap cannister solenoid on my wife's 2013 limited AWD, but I don't think it was actually...
  10. W

Towing with a 2015 Explorer

Travel trailers and enclosed trailers create a large constant wind resistance load on the tow vehicle. A 20mph headwind versus a tailwind can make a huge difference in fuel economy and heat generated in the drivetrain. A 3.5L V6 running 4500rpm to maintain speed doesn't seem unusual depending...
  11. W

2015 Explorer Sport

There was a recall on 2011-2013 ford explorers for steering gear issues that would cause a loss of power steering. I don't know what if anything ford ever did to fix the problem. http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1092388_ford-recalls-914000-escape-explorer-suvs-for-power-steering-issue
  12. W

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Bridgestone Blizzaks are the only tire I know of that are great rain and snow tires. They make turn in soft and don't last terribly long. They are also expensive at ~$281 USD on tirerack right now. I loved them on my STi. They were great for snow, rain, gravel, grass, etc. I used to keep...
  13. W

PTU Problems

My contacts at Ford told me the PTO (transfers power from right wheel shaft to rear end) is non-serviceable. It's supposed to have lifetime fluid, but most folks are changing it that are aware of the problem. Ford may have added a drain plug to the newer parts for easier fluid changes, but...
  14. W

Replace Rear Brake Pads & Rotors

Several of my vehicles have worn down the rear pads before the fronts. Jeep wranglers also use up their rear pads first due to ESC applying the rear brakes. My 2003 Cobra Mustang used up the rear pads first due to a vented, thicker, larger diamter rotor being used with the regular GT rear...
  15. W

2013 explorer limited stumbling and pinging

I got in a rush and made a mistake. The explorer takes the longest. It's the only vehicle I have to pull up on ramps to change. I just slide under the F150 and Wrangler I have. My wife and I put about 3,000 miles a month on each of our four wheelers, so I end up changing oil on something about...
  16. W

Pulling Codes?

Engine Link appears to be decent for iOS. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/engine-link-obd-ii-vehicle/id591557194?mt=8 http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013773 I did not know you need a WiFi ELM237 for iOS phones. Interesting.
  17. W

Pulling Codes?

The "EVIC" on newer Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge vehicles has that capability I think.
  18. W

Pulling Codes?

I bought a bluetooth OBDII scanner off of Amazon for $11 or $20, and then I installed Torque Pro on my phone for $5. I can read and clear codes as well as datalog on any of my vehicles. It's very handy.
  19. W

A few things irking my nerve :/

I always thought one of the "pros" about ford cars was non-ignition switched power outlets. Owners from other brands don't seem to like that change, though. For SYNC, I've had to select USB versus bluetooth for audio inputs like audible audio books from my phone versus USB thumbdrives for...
  20. W

Follow up on the problem: I overfilled the engine oil and that seems to have been the issue. Always check and recheck. DOH! I had the car on a hill and ramps which contributed to the problem. I should have rechecked the dipstick once it was level and had idled. I ended up draining out a...
  21. W

I'm going to try using ether (starting fluid) around the hoses and intake tube while running to look for a vacuum leak this afternoon.
  22. W

2013 Explorer Limited 3.5L V6 ~60,000 miles I changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter on my wife's 2013 explorer a couple days ago. Immediately after the service the car idled fine for 10+ minutes in the driveway before I shut it down (finally found the oil life reset in the menu again)...
  23. W

Opinion 2015 Sport

The only major issues with Ford's ecoboost is the intake coking that can occur from EGR and PCV contaminants that get washed away on port injected engines. There are quite a few places on the internet that document direct injection gas motors having this issue. With cleaning and care it can be...
  24. W

Rearview Camera Problems

I installed a superduty tailgate handle backup camera and rear view mirror with compass, microphone, and backup LCD in my 2010 F150, and the most common problem I have is a bad connection from the reverse indication on the truck. The truck already sent a reverse signal to the factory mirror due...
  25. W

2015 Sport didn't make it off the dealer's lot without issue - do I have a lemon?

I was in your position 11 years ago when I bought my first new car. I've owned, raced, destroyed, offroaded and banged up enough cars now that I don't get as bent out of shape about them. I can understand the frustration of a new car problem. As for octane, if you guys search, you'll find...
Back