Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

clean 1993

I'm just going to leave this here. https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ford-explorer-classic-low/6329578452.html was just browsing on CL and then all of a sudden came across this. So who's going to take one for the team and snatch this up?
  2. H

3rd gen success story

Hi all, I just wanted to post a semi-seccuess story for my 2002 explorer. It just turned over 140kmiles with no major work done on the transmission or engine. READ: transmission is original, timing chains untouched and still going great, original rear diff. I've owned this explorer since 2007...
  3. H

How to install cabin air filter [PICTURES]

Most people don't realize that drivers usually breathe eighteen times more air pollution than "ambient air". It is common sense that the quality of air is worse near an interstate, but most people don't realize that vehicles trap and build up air pollution inside the cabin. I drive several...
  4. H

SOHC noise only when warm (video)

My SOHC makes noise from the heads only when the engine is warm. The sound cannot be heard in the cabin and is not unusually loud and does not grab your attention when the hood is shut. The engine has made this sound as long as I can remember, it might have gotten louder though. Below is a...
  5. H

SOHC noise only when warm (video)

My SOHC makes noise from the heads only when the engine is warm. The sound cannot be heard in the cabin and is not unusually loud and does not grab your attention when the hood is shut. The engine has made this sound as long as I can remember, it might have gotten louder though. Below is a...
  6. H

I will be meeting with a key designer/engineer of 5R55s

I am in school to become a licensed mechanical engineer. A key engineer that formally worked for Ford in the design of the 5R55E teaches sophomore classes at my college. I have always been enthuestic about the design of the automatic transmissions and was excited to learn that he teaches at...
  7. H

Where to purchase trans fill tool?

Howdy, I am looking for the fluid fill tool 307-437 to fill my 5R55W transmission with fluid. Here is the link to description of the tool: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1058165&postcount=3 I am wanting recommendations on where I should purchase the tool from...
  8. H

Need advice for replace rear main seal

Which is the least hardest method to replace the rear main seal in the back of the engine? Pull the engine and place it on an engine stand? Or pull the transmission and drive shaft? I don't have an engine hoist, stand or transmission jack. Right now I am thinking of just buying a hoist and...
  9. H

Hyden fan controller fubar

I have been running a Hayden fan controller 3647 with the adjustable thermostat with my taurus electric fan setup for two months now in the peak of the summer heat. Now all of a sudden it only works intermediately. I verified that the controller relay works. I tested the relay socket on the...
  10. H

How to install an electric fan PICS

How to install a Ford Taurus two speed electric fan in place of the clutch fan in your 3rd generation Explorer. Note: I am not an electric engineer. All risks of electric fires, over heating engines and being stranded away from home are taken at your own risk, even if you follow my every...
  11. H

Looking for ignition wire to splice into

I'm looking for the ignition wire in my '02 XLS four door to splice into. I will be using the ignition wire to turn on the relay for the electric fan I am installing. It is consecutively 95 degrees here and the A/C is always running on full blast from engine start-up to start-down. Thus I...
  12. H

can I get away with no muffler?

I was just wondering, if I took my muffler off temporarily can I get away with it? I mainly do highway driving and wanted to experiment how much my mpg would increase w/ no muffler. Would it be enough to draw attention of cops pulling in and out of the parking lot and just cruising on the...
  13. H

Tie rod brand recommendation?

Hi all, I will be replacing all four of my front tie rods after this school semester ends. I was wondering if there were any particular brand of tie rods I should avoid? I will most likely purchase a more reasonably priced pair off of rockauto.com Thanks.
  14. H

How to make your Ford Explorer steering column telescope PICS

How to make your 3rd generation Explorer steering column telescope. The 3rd generation Explorer was the first and only Explorer to receive a telescoping steering column from the factory. However this was not a standard feature and was an option reserved for the higher end 3rd gens. However...
  15. H

Here's a good laugh.

Stupid people...
  16. H

2002 Ex, 1k hp, 35mpg, and its a hybrid!

I was just cleaning up and deleting some of my bookmarks and came across this. I thought others might find this interesting to read. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3003264
  17. H

Hitchhikingmike's Explorer

The fuel sipper. no longer here.
  18. H

Just got my oil analysis back in...

2002 Explorer with the 4.0 I ran 7k miles on Amsoil on this report. Plan to do 10k miles on the next oil change. Everything looked good, except for the silicon. Anyone know how silicon gets into the oil and how a dirty air filter would influence it? I enjoy traveling all around Texas in this...
  19. H

How to: Ball joints on 3 gen 2 of 2 [Pictures]

Torque specifications: Upper control arm ball joint-to-steering knuckle nut- 41Ft-lbs/ 55Nm Lower control arm ball joint-to-steering knuckle castle nut- 129Ft-lbs/ 175NM Tools Used: *Common sockets, breaker bars, and ratchets. *Ball joint separator tool *Ball joint press kit *Hammer *Grease gun...
  20. H

How to: Ball joints on 3 gen 1 of 2 [Pictures]

How to replace front upper and lower ball joints on a 3rd generation Ford Explorer (2x4) This write up is for 2x4 Explorers. First let me clear up a myth/unknown: YES the upper ball joints are replaceable. You do NOT have to replace the upper control arm. My lower ball joints were way out of...
  21. H

help! spring-lock coupling on fuel rail will not disconnect!

This project is to replace the valve cover gaskets. I started this project thursday and have only gotten the driver's side gasket replaced. I'm on the passenger side and cannot get the spring-lock coupling on the fuel supply line that connects to the fuel rail to disconnect. I have boughten...
  22. H

How do I press in upper ball joint? PICTURES

My haynes manual says that the upper front ball joint is not replaceable by itself, but rather the entire top control arm has to be replaced as a unit. But I have heard otherwise from around this forum. Every place I call carries the ball joint itself, but not the upper control arm. So I...
  23. H

Who has a powerstroke F250?

I've been thinking about a F-250 powerstroke diesel just for a daily driver and road trips, no real work or towing. I was just wondering if anyone uses a powerstroke as their daily driver to go to work, get groceries and such. Although diesel is a but more in cost, I figure I would get a...
  24. H

Lincoln Aviator cooled seats- swap

What is your opinion of them? I see they are available at some bone-yards close to me. I am wondering if it would be worth it to try and swap in a set of Aviator cooled seats into my 3gen explorer. I understand the power adjustments are on the door and I would have to fab up a new panel for...
  25. H

same steering used in expedition?

I was wonder if the '03-'06 expedition uses the exact same steering wheel as the explorer. They look identical. If they are the same this would be sweet: http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer/home.php?cat=7017
Back