Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Looking for a AM/FM cassette single CD radio.

I have a single CD factory 2000 head unit I can let go for $50 + shipping if youre still looking. Let me know.
  2. S

Temporarily disable AWD for long trip

The issue about the gas going in vs gas used is a debatable issue. Ive had a number of times where they match exactly. Then many times where the gas going in is MORE that gas used. Oddly never less 🤨. Ive narrowed it down to the pump I go to. MANY unscrupulous stations miscalibrate their...
  3. S

AWD and a new tire

Thanks for the info. Last resort Ill try this even though Ive already got a new tire mounted on the vehicle. Ideally Id like to find a local place that can do this.
  4. S

AWD and a new tire

Thanks for the advice guys. Ive called 5 different tire places...no luck on the tire size much less the precise circumference. Ill keep looking. Koda, how long did your daughter drive on the first spare? Id guess it likely didnt match the other tires unless rotated regularly?
  5. S

AWD and a new tire

I had to get a new tire and its about 1" different in circumference than the others. I have it mounted in the front. If I remove the drive shaft to the transfer case will this avoid damaging it? Will mounting it in the rear or rotating the tires every few hundred miles reduce any damage? Thanks!
  6. S

Vacuum leak

A while back my city MPG dropped significantly (14 mpg city) and I got a code for a med vac leak. I finally got around to doing a cigar smoke thru the brake booster hose test. The only place I could see a tiny amount of smoke was from the location in the pic. I sprayed some carb cleaner there...
  7. S

For Sale Full set 95 to 01 Gray Leather Seats Good Condition

Still selling these? Im in Orlando.
  8. S

How to Change your Fuel Pump - '95-'01 Explorers

What are your thoughts on cutting an access door from the interior to the top of the fuel tank/pump? Was considering this as an alternative.
  9. S

Reasons to keep/fix

I agree with the above post. A lot depends on condition. That being said, if its a V8 4x4 or AWD then do what you can to keep it. Theyre built like tanks and should last a looooooong time if well kept. The V6's, not so much. If its a money pit with a ton of repairs then may be time to cut...
  10. S

Curious if another symptom Im experiencing, other than the hard starting, is from a failing fuel pump. There is a subtle, but noticeable cutting out of the engine. It wont die or anything close, just seems to be intermittent little 'blips' of not running smoothly. I initially thought it was...
  11. S

How Important is the Friction Modifier For The Limited Slip Diffs

I ended up suctioning out some oil and putting in the 7oz thru the standard fill hole as I didnt want to risk breaking the ABS sensor on the top.
  12. S

So if I add 7oz of limited slip additive through the ABS hole on the top of the diff will this extra amount cause there to be too much, and frothing of the gear oil?
  13. S

Gear oil for Explorer 8.8 with limited slip?

Thanks for the info!
  14. S

My confusion is, is a 'posi trac limited slip oil additive' the same as a 'friction modifier'? The one I have is 7oz, per use Im assuming, and the friction modifier is only 4 oz per use. Do they do the same function? My symptoms are it seems to grab or bind slightly, most noticeably in the...
  15. S

Is it important to use the Motorcraft friction modifier or can I use this? K&W 402508 Trans-X Posi Trac Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive - 7 Fl Oz. I just happen to have it already in my garage.
  16. S

Ok great. I almost bought the wrong one. Curious, amazon says 69128 wont fit my 2000 5.0. Also I looked on rock auto and they had this part #: Bosch Automotive 66085. Whats different between the two? (pasting changed the font size) Can you confirm 69128 is the correct part # please cause...
  17. S

Where is the ABS hole on the rear differential?
  18. S

Ive had 2 SOHC explorers, one sport and the other EB. The sport had the tow package with lower gears and had a lot of pep. Was fun to drive. My favorite to date because of the handling is the AWD V8. Cant beat the durability of the V8s IMO. What brand fuel pump would you recommend? I dont...
  19. S

Thanks MrQ and koda2000 for this write up! Ive done this FP replacement a long time ago and remember it sucked. These tips will definitely help. koda2000 out of all your explorers, which was your favorite? Ive had a few and noticed a HUGE difference in the AWD when it comes to handling.
  20. S

When to change ignition coils?

Yes, I agree. I did try and track it down for a while but didnt have any luck, although I didnt have access to a live data scan tool. -changed gas cap and hose going to the gas tank from the cap. -changed fuel filter -cleaned carbon filter under the spare tire. -changed the other vapor thing...
  21. S

When to change ignition coils?

I cant seem to locate the valve. Anyone have a pic they can post of where its at? Thanks! BTW it was not the CPS. Waiting on the ECT sensor to be delivered to try that.
  22. S

Abnormally low miles but interior destroyed.

This is what a 382,000 mile seat looks like. If you see someone selling with a seat like this and an advertised miles of "only 130,000 miles" then you know theyre full of it and switched out the gauge cluster.
  23. S

This is interesting. What type of modification is necessary to use those seats? Will a gen 3 work in a gen 2?
  24. S

These seats look really good relatively speaking for 400K miles!
Back