Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

How To: Repair A/C "Fresh Air/Recirc" Door

Lots of the original pics seem to be missing - maybe dead links? Any chance to fix the post - thanks!
  2. S

Questions: Recharging 2002 XLT AC

Oh yeah - and one other thing - should I be worried that the vacuum gauge on the low-side hit a minimum pressure of -25 inches of Hg? Some youtube vids I've watched show the gauge pegged at -30. At first I thought this was a sure sign of a leak, but then when I let the system stand and it...
  3. S

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! A few quick follow up questions if you have time This makes complete sense - I'll have a look at the valves. Is it just replacing a standard Schraeder stem (like on a bike tire)? How critical to replace accumulator/dryer? Looks like a pain in the...
  4. S

2002 XLT 4.0L V6 BACKGROUND: AC stopped working over the winter (worked last fall, but not very cold). Compressor not engaging when AC active at dash. Checked electrical connections at compressor. No voltage at compressor electrical connector when AC switch on. Disconnected AC cycling switch...
  5. S

Rear end tick

Another vote for rear parking brake shoes. Mine have come apart twice now and clicked at slow speeds as you describe.
  6. S

Help Diagnose "Jumpy" Belt Tensioner (VIDEO)

Thanks for the ideas - I did clean up everything really well after the original coolant disaster. Cleaned up all the pulleys and changed the old belt. In fact, I bet the old belt had plenty of life left after only 45K miles, but I changed it anyway. I haven't found any damage or rough spots...
  7. S

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am definitely running the right belt. A brand new Goodyear Gatorback - same size/brand/type I've used for the last 100K miles with no problems.
  8. S

Update: Jumpy belt tensioner Well - it wasn't the power steering pump. :thumbdwn: Changed out the pump this weekend and the problem remains. I can also rule out the fan clutch, as I checked things out with the fan disconnected. That leaves alternator, water pump, AC, or harmonic...
  9. S

2003 - Power Steering Line From Cooler

Fit for 2002 XLT? Dragging up an old thread here. Does anyone know whether this part number 6L5Z3A713H will fit into the rack of a 2002 XLT 4L V6? I went to the dealership parts counter today and was told that the only way to get the return line from the rack to the PS cooler was to buy...
  10. S

Rear Glass Hatch Latch 2002 Explorer

Yeah! I used your post as a starting point for my recent repair - thanks for doing that. Difference for me is that I don't have any welding gear, so I fabbed up a new stud plate with hardware store parts. Pictures coming... Hardest part was getting the trim piece off without breaking it.
  11. S

Thinking about this some more - here's more back-story, although possibly not related. The day this problem first surfaced, as mentioned in my first post, the coolant hose between the bottom of the coolant reservoir and the bottom of the radiator was sliced open when the jumpy tensioner hit...
  12. S

Engine idle speed is dead steady, no surging or strangeness. Honestly, the truck runs GREAT other than the tensioner jumpiness. Had codes checked a few weeks back when CEL came on - only code was P0125 - low coolant temp. Thermostat was stuck open or ECT sensor was bad - changed thermostat...
  13. S

Really? No replies to my incredible and awesome serpentine belt video? (I've been hearing some Oscar buzz) Seriously - anyone? Forgot to mention in my prior post or in video - no apparent issues with alternator. Pulley seems smooth and yesterday's load test suggests it's working well...
  14. S

Rear Glass Hatch Latch 2002 Explorer

I just fixed this exact problem on my '02 XLT. There is no stud plate available from Ford. I made a replacement assembly using aluminum bar stock and some stainless steel bolts from hardware store. Only tools needed are hacksaw and a drill, and a wide putty knife to get the trim piece off of the...
  15. S

Hi all, Been struggling to pin down an issue under the hood of my 2002 XLT 4.0L V6. Last week the large coolant hose that runs from the bottom of the coolant reservoir to the bottom of the radiator was CUT and started spewing coolant everywhere! Fun! :confused: I found out that the...
  16. S

Front End Squeak

That seems about right - I bet it's about 4 hours labor for a well equipped experienced shop to do all 4. I did my rear struts myself and it took me probably 6 or 7 hours, but with no prior experience and no lift (jack stands and a lot of cussing).
  17. S

Differential Rebuild or Used? 02 Explorer Limited

:thumbsup: Yes - what he said. Several shops I spoke with wouldn't even offer to replace the ring and pinion - said it was too difficult/risky to get them set correctly. Even some of my local Ford dealers wouldn't do it - their policy was to replace the entire differential assembly, complete...
  18. S

When my rear differential bearings and clutch pack went bad, I would have SWORN to you that there was also something going on in the front of the truck. I could feel grinding/vibration in the steering wheel and even the sound seemed to be coming from up front. This "new" sound you're getting...
  19. S

Expect some significant labor, I think, even if swapping a used diff. I may be wrong here, but if you're planning to re-use your existing rear axles, whoever does the install for you will have to pull them from the existing diff. Then re-install axles in new(used) diff along with new seals...
  20. S

I don't know if you can switch to an open diff or about answers to any of these other questions re. AWD/4WD. You should look in the "Transmission, Transfer Case, and Differential" section of the Explorer forums here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109 Don't quote me...
  21. S

Front End Squeak

One way to isolate the problem - I used this successfully. Put a small squirt of silicone spray lubricant in/on/around the area that you believe to be causing the squeak. Let it sit for a minute then try to replicate the squeak. I used this stuff...
  22. S

Front End Squeak

I would bet that the squeak you describe is from the sway bar bushings. That said, your ball joints aren't looking good, but as the previous poster said, they usually don't squeak - more of a thunk or clunk. I did upper control arms and bushings on my '02 XLT, along with sway bar bushings...
  23. S

Yokohama Tires

:thumbsup:
  24. S

Your original post sounds exactly like what I experienced w/ my 2002 XLT a few years back. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd probably go for a re-built or 2nd hand rear diff. BTW: I have the 3.73 limited slip rear diff (axle code D4). Issue for me began with rear end whine at around...
  25. S

Yokohama Tires

I've been running these Yokohama tires on my 2002 XLT for about 48K miles now. I think they have one more winter left in them. Got a pretty good deal on them, as I recall. I was leaning toward getting a set of General Grabbers for my Explorer based on reviews from others, but the tire place...
Back