Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. davidk

Bizarre Limited factory alarm module behavior

1993 Ford Explorer Limited with factory alarm - My alarm module drowned when I was washing my car (common problem with Ford Explorer Limited and others - covered by a TSB). Headlights and flashers and horn all going, wouldn't stop by pressing unlock on key fob or inserting my original FORD key...
  2. davidk

Shiftster?

Anyone have a Shiftster they'd like to sell?
  3. davidk

Explorer crawler part out in Sacramento CA

Explorer crawler part out (click to go to craigslist ad) From the craigslist ad: What it has: —front axle -1978 Dana 44 housing with F150 knuckles and thunderbird brakes -4.88 gears -ruffstuff diff cover -uninstalled used arb locker —rear axle -1970 ford 9” 1350 yoke -Detroit 31 spline locker...
  4. davidk

Light sockets for 93 Limited map lamps

I discovered after buying my 93 X Limited that it was missing the sockets the bulbs go into (upper console). Anyone have a couple?
  5. davidk

Recommend deep pan for A4LD?

I'm trying to everything I can to increase the longevity of my A4LD. Has anyone put in an aluminum deep pan? Thanks! David
  6. davidk

Recommend stock AT tires (Michelin discontinued)

I’ve been running Michelin LTX AT 235/75/15 (then the AT2) on my stock X for over 20 years and they’ve served me well on paved roads, as well as on dirt, mud, sand, snow, etc. It’s time for a new set and I just discovered that Michelin discontinued that tire in 15 inch size. Any suggestions for...
  7. davidk

Occams Razor and fuel pump pressure after priming?

I have a crank/no start on my "new" 93 Limited that is driving me crazy. I've looked at LOTS of posts and want to start simple first. When I turn on the key, the fuel pump runs and has 34 psi at the fuel rail. When I turn the key to start, the engine starts for about three seconds then dies (but...
  8. davidk

ON HOLD Explorer XLT 1993 4 Door, 5 Speed, 4WD

Since I'm having problems with my 93 Limited Automatic, I've put off selling "old reliable" AKA my 93 XLT 5 speed on hold. When the Limited is sorted out and is my reliable daily driver and trip car, then I'll revisit selling the XLT 5 speed. A bad shifting shoulder and clutch knee (and living...
  9. davidk

Smooth or ribbed belt tensioner?

My belt tensioner spring is wearing out - time for a new assembly. My OEM pulley is smooth. The ones I see online have ribbed pulleys. Does it make any difference what I get? Thanks! David
  10. davidk

Coat hook bolt removal tips?

I'm working on removing the big side panel covering my stock subwoofer so I can try to figure out why it isn't working. I'm stuck at the coat hook. None of my sockets will fit - they are not deep enough or are too wide to fit in the space. Any tips? Thanks!
  11. davidk

93 Ford Explorer and Bronco Sales Training Video

Here is the Ford sales training video for selling the features of the 1993 Ford Explorer (00:00 - 15:00) or Ford Bronco (15:00 - 29:00). A lot of fun to watch for us 1st Gen Explorer fans!
  12. davidk

1st Gen Explorer 93 and 94 brochure links

Here are links to scanned brochures I found for the 1993 and 1994 Ford Explorer. I find them helpful to see options listed and such. Interesting that the Limited is not listed in the 93 brochure (I have a 93 Limited) but is listed in the 94 brochure...
  13. davidk

Limited leather interior question

I'm in the learning curve with my new 93 Limited. I was looking at scanned brochures online for the 93 Explorer (Limited not mentioned, interestingly enough) and the 94 Explorer (Limited has its own page). The Limited description said leather on all seating surfaces. Does that mean the door...
  14. davidk

1991 Explorer parts on Craigslist in Sacramento

Someone is selling a variety of 1991 Explorer parts on my local Craigslist in Sacramento. Here is the link: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/search/sss?userid=12908658 (scroll down to see the Explorer parts)
  15. davidk

Security system overview?

I just bought a 93 Limited that has the OEM security system. No key fobs. You disarm it by turning key in door lock, at least that's the theory. No documentation included. :( Could someone please tell me what it does and is there a way to keep the green "Alarmed" lit on the dash so anyone...
  16. davidk

Manual vs Power Seats Slide Back Same Amount?

My 93 has manual seats, they slide back far enough that I have the leg room I need. I'm thinking about buying another 93 with power seats, but the X is located 90 minutes away, so I can't test the seats for legroom. Does anyone know if the manual and power seats both scoot back the same amount...
  17. davidk

Limited trim specs?

I'm thinking about buying a 93 Limited 4dr 4WD with automatic trans and 104K miles, to replace my 93 XLT 4dr 4WD with 5 spd and 258k miles (my knees can't take the clutch and my shoulder having problems shifting into 5th - getting older is the pitts. :) I can't find much info about the first...
  18. davidk

Recommend 1995 Explorer?

I'm looking for an older, low mileage automatic transmission Explorer to replace my trusty 5 speed 93 X (my knees getting worse and I need to switch to an automatic, otherwise I'd keep it). I found a 1995 Limited 4 door automatic 4wd with 70K miles and great maintenance records (by their local...
  19. davidk

Advice: 2009 6 cyl/5spd auto or V8/6 spd auto?

I've been looking for a new Explorer to replace my 1993 5spd manual (with over 250K miles). I have a line on a 2009 Eddie Bauer V8 with 126K miles - very well maintained, at a reasonable price. I don't know anything about the V8's, I only have experience with the 6 cyl engine (of course that is...
  20. davidk

Why NOx too high at 15 mph California smog test?

My 93 (253K miles, I've had it since 1999 - 77K) has a history of failing the 15 mph California smog test (smog test required every two years). The highest NOx allowed is, say 560. When it failed the 15 mph test six years ago (putting my X in gross polluter category), the NOx was 700. New...
  21. davidk

Buying advice: 2009 or 2010?

My tried and true 1993 XLT 5 speed 4WD is getting old (only 242K miles, go figure), has a leaking head gasket (argh) and I'm ready for a newer Ex. I bought the 93 in 1998 with 70K on the clock, and I really liked the sturdiness and huge cargo area. I've driven all over the forest service...
  22. davidk

Wanted: Stock AM/FM Cassette to fit 93 Explorer

My head unit now puts out sound for around 10 seconds then stops. It's served me well, but I think it's time for a replacement. I want the cassette for my ipod cassette adapter. It works great and the stock AM/FM Cassette stereo is less attractive to a thief (I leave the Explorer parked on...
  23. davidk

How to patch pinhole leak in gas line?

I finally found my elusive gas smell, discovered that the braided steel gas hose wore through by rubbing against the power steering hose, just a pinhole that sprays a gas under pressure. Not good! The damaged section is about one inch wide. HELP! Is there a way to patch this pinhole so I can...
  24. davidk

HELP New Sylvania headlight bulbs don't fit

One of my low beams burned out and I bought a direct replacement - Sylvania 9004 basic bulb. But, the design has changed and the bulb won't seat in far enough for the locking collar to turn and lock. I looked at the other Sylvania bulbs (fancier ones) and they are all the same. You can really...
  25. davidk

Voltage gauge stopped working completely

The needle is pegged at what would be 9 PM on a clock (completely off the dial) and doesn't move. Battery and charging are OK. Any ideas what to check first? Thanks! David
Back