Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Thermostat, T-stat housing, bolts

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Lot of extra work and worry for nothing, should have replaced it earlier, especially when you found the old one broken into 2 pieces. You got it right, you f'd up here! The t-stat bolts get tightened down to 89 inch lbs, not 89 ft lbs! No wonder one of...
  2. H

Thermostat, T-stat housing, bolts

So last week I gunned the engine to turn left onto a busy highway and was pleased at the G's. Next thing I know theres little puddles of green where I park. Opened the hood & saw pools of coolant on the manifold. While checking for leaks, took a flashlight and found what I thought was a rat's...
  3. H

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Success! So another Props to Rondo! I won't tell how many hours it took to accomplish this, but I must say it took a weekend. I put in 16 hours at work, explained to the curious neighbors what I was undertaking, and had some beers with them. I even asked my girlfriend to help spin the last...
  4. H

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Excellent! Thank you! Love this forum! I have it apart now going to try to remove the actuator with out cutting the dash. I have found other forums directing me to cut it in 3-4 places. Thank god I found your writeup! 1 thing the troubles me though is the fan selector switch harness. Of the four...
  5. H

Rear hub assembly replacement!

Second Bearing Replaced in 2011 Hello All Just last January as the began to fall, I was on my way to work when one of my wheel bearings failed. I immediately turned around and went 8 blocks home. I gave the preliminary tough shake to both front tires and pass. side had way too much horizontal...
  6. H

Decelerating with cruise control stalls engine!

It is a hazard Mine has done it again twice since my last post. Since I am aware now, I no longer use cc on long downgrades, and am still alive.
  7. H

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

Taking this on today '04 If this is the same procedure with my '04 I will start today. Thanks Great photos and detail!
  8. H

chirping from rear stumped on this one! ideas

Please follow up on this one! I have a bird stuck somewhere too. It only chirps every 10 trips or so, and know I can never pinpoint where its from until its too late!
  9. H

Which battery to buy for 04 XLT 4.0?

Happy Camper-I got a battery I went with the Les Schwab 65 XT Xtreme Power battery- http://www.lesschwab.com/batteries/xtremepower.asp It has 1000 amps, 850 cc amps and 150 min reserve. Plus I live in the NW- over 410 sevice locations! Just went camping for the weekend and it started...
  10. H

Which battery to buy for 04 XLT 4.0?

I need info on batteries! I have owned: 1980 Dodge Colt 1968 Linc Continental 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 1991 Ford Explorer 1998 Dodge Durango 2004 Ford Explorer Guess which one I never had to jump start... Unbelievably it's the Colt! I have had battery or alternator or electrical...
  11. H

Decelerating with cruise control stalls engine!

Happened twice! The first time I was coming into city limits with the radio on and passengers and didnt realize decelerating the cc had killed the engine. I feel lucky to have made the turn... It only took one more time to remember not to do it again.
  12. H

Tuning Up A New(er) Vehicle

Thanks for replying! Your feedback really helps! So far so good- Quicker pickup and go Less roughness at idle... What? Actually, the flush was $48 I had them use 2 bottles of oil cleaner at $13 apiece instead. I agree with your "trash" opinion. Am I better off now? I am confused...
  13. H

Tuning Up A New(er) Vehicle

I bought my 04 XLT 4.0 in Oct 2006 at 89,400 I do not have the previous owner's service records and would like to know if anybody knows how to go about finding them? I now have 100,500 miles and realized last week I didnt change the oil in 2008!!!!!! Please do not lecture me on this- I feel...
  14. H

Electic dammit

Sorry its been so long But you know how it goes when everything is running correctly... Turned out my alternator was bad Luckily I got the dealer who sold it to me used to buy a new one They sent me to Napa with a purchase order and I went home with a $152 alternator that turned out to be very...
  15. H

Electic dammit

2004 4.0L A week ago my battery died in the middle of a national forest overnight while I was camping. I got a jump, let it run for an hour, turned it off, started it again two hours later and drove 40 mins. home with no problem. No problems for two weeks until yesterday when it wouldn't turn...
Back