Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Need help to break into my Explorer

Have you tried any of the methods mentioned in this thread? Jimmy locking mechanism via hole in driver side door handle rear hatch window pry front door jamb pry CAA/AAA rock through window dealer/locksmith + VIN In that order (due to your time constraints). I sold my X a while ago...
  2. D

OMG! Wheel at slant, locked, and grinding the brake housing. Help!

Also, the rubber boot on the tie rod end looks like it'll peel off before too long. Once that happens the grease dries up and the ball-in-cup joint will degrade until it pops out and you lose steering. It's not an expensive part, I'd replace it while you're working in that area and check the...
  3. D

Goodbye old friend...

It's with mixed emotions that I say goodbye to my rusty ol' baby. We've been through a lot you and I. You've taken me camping, skiing, wheelin', fishing and to work every morning for 4 years. You've kept me company on lonely road trips and I've slept with you on cold nights. You've gotten me...
  4. D

$10 DIY Cargo Mat

Replaced cargo carpet It was a nice day today so I decided to give this a try. But instead of a rubber mat I opted to replace the dirty ol' carpet which was starting to look like it came off a scratching post that had been pee'd on. Anyway, pics... Cargo area with the carpet ripped out...
  5. D

I need help diagnosing an intermittent starter problem.

Same thing has started happening with my X about a week ago. It sounds slow for the first few seconds and then it fires up. So far it has only failed to start the engine once. I was hoping it was the battery or a bad connection. I tried disconnecting and cleaning the terminals a few minutes ago...
  6. D

$10 DIY Cargo Mat

Very nice, I may give this a try too. Agree the carpet is like velcro and holds in too much sand.
  7. D

shake @ 65 to 73 mph

I replaced the link on the driver's side and the vibration was greatly reduced! Shake gone. However, I also changed all four rotors that same day as well because I'm pretty certain they were warped. All the same, thanks!
  8. D

Check Gage + Hard shift + Gear slippage at same time?

Working again? Hmm! So I finished working on my brakes today but the last rotor on the driver's side rear refused to come off! It took a buddy and I a couple hours to finally pull it off. Turns out the parking brake wouldn't let go of the rotor, probably due to bad calibration and lots of...
  9. D

They seem to be working properly but I haven't checked their connections. Worked on the X until 3am last night so I've been too lazy to go back out and check. I also noticed last night that I'm getting some type of fluid leaking down into the front passenger wheel well. Hopefully it's just wiper...
  10. D

Ok, I did a search and found a thread that sounded similar to my issue at first but the conversation turned into a discussion about thermostats: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119377 So, yesterday I was on my way to pick up a set of rotors and pads after work. On the...
  11. D

o4 sport trac lifted - pics of my truck - need some thoughts

Awesome truck! One of the nicest STs I've seen. I've always like the ST and really thinking about giving up my Sport for one.
  12. D

How to remove rust stains from your rear window

Great post Joe! Paraphoe linked me to this thread and your video makes it look dirt easy ;) Now to find me some whink...
  13. D

rust streaks on rear glass

Sweet, thanks for the link guys! Joe's video has convinced me so think I'll give it a shot if I can find it around here.
  14. D

Any way to get better gas mileage?

Thanks for that barenfang :)
  15. D

Rear wiper skips

Yea me too, I left it attached and just pulled the arm away from the glass. Didn't have a grinder so I just cut the tabs off. Works great now.
  16. D

Comment by 'ddarko' in media 'Pre-Runner Ranger'

wow! that is awesome
  17. D

Replacing the Gauge Clusters

I like the second one too except for the BEM logo and "unleaded fuel only" warning. Are these things pretty much plug n' play or do they need to be spliced in?
  18. D

scribd.com has a lot of good info. Do a search for "Ford Explorer" and you'll find a ton of lit. Even an entire service manual (sadly it's in spanish).
  19. D

Solved Ford Paint Colors

My rear bumper was rusty too. Mostly beneath the plastic step and some drip marks down the side. Felt really good to sand it all off and get a fresh coat on there (used bedliner). Looks much better too. Note about the bedliner: I used EZ Liner in a spray can. It's only been a couple of months...
  20. D

shake @ 65 to 73 mph

It could be described as a vibration I suppose but a very harsh one. Steering wheel shakes a lot but mainly it seems to be coming from the rear end. I always know how fast I'm driving based on the frequency of the rattle I hear coming from my cargo area lol. Also, a friend told me my rear...
  21. D

I read his posts too and I'm actually reading up on e-fan and UDP right now. Hoping I can score a fan during my next visit to the yard. Agreed on the maintenance point btw. I was just asking Barenfang what he thought made the biggest difference based on his mods.
  22. D

Another '01 Sport owner here with crappy mileage. Appreciate the suggestions people have posted. @Barenfang: not sure if you changed all those at once or one at a time, but, what single component do you feel made the most difference for you?
  23. D

shake @ 65 to 73 mph

I'm also getting a pretty severe shake at those speeds. I'm currently subscribed to a 3rd shock thread here ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270809 ) and wondering if that might help? I'll only resort to that after checking all the usual things first of course.
  24. D

Rear 3rd shock?

Yea it's in good shape. Some tiny fracture marks around a screw hole or two but no cracks. Nice to have a spare I guess. I was kinda surprised to discover it's transparent green underneath.
  25. D

Rear 3rd shock?

@gmanpaint: ah, thanks! @grnmachine: Sure, will do. I was gonna go back yesterday but ended up helping my buddy out with his Buick instead. Have a feeling we'll be back there again soon. They charged me $7 for the lid. I slapped myself on the head afterward because all I really needed was one...
Back