Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 3

Infamous O/D Light Flashing

Joe, a 2003 is 7 years old!!! It's not even close to new!!! Many manufacturers do not supply a dipstick to check the transmission fluid level...they are "sealed". I would degrease the hell out of the underside, then check for the spot of the leak.
  2. 3

leaking overdrive servo

Why wouldn't you buy a new servo?
  3. 3

New tranny problem again!

Where are you getting these transmissions from? Are they fresh rebuilds or junkyard trannies?
  4. 3

Lower intake/head gasket help

Gravy, I have done this job a few times, and it's not a big deal...pretty easy and straightforward actually, but time consuming, although I am slow and meticulous. You NEED a torque wrench. I used my haynes manual and it shows all of the torque sequences which must be followed. My least...
  5. 3

99 4.0 ohv problems :-(

Jrowe, if I were you I would start with the basics. You need more clues! Is the check engine light still on? If it is, you need to run the codes again. I have always had bad 02 sensors trip the CEL. What do the spark plugs look like? Are any of them really dirty or super clean? What does...
  6. 3

I have a 98 Ford Explorer transmission. It keeps blowing the O/D fuse.

About a year ago I thought my transmission was blown...The drivers side oxygen sensor harness had melted against the exhaust manifold, grounding it out and blowing the fuse. Turned out that the 02 sensors and the transmission shift fuses were on the same circuit.
  7. 3

Will this work????

Crazy, how many miles are on this vehicle?!!! 4.0's go 200K no problem.
  8. 3

Ok after searching, O/D still refuses to work

Brett, when you take the transmission OUT of OD (OD/OFF), the RPM's are supposed to increase. I think you may have another issue. Does the tranny go into OD normally at highway speeds? Was this the first time it did this?
  9. 3

No 4WD on 2000 Ford Ranger

Have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the 4wd? Mine quit, once, and this fixed it. It quit again, so I said screw it and bought a set of Rugged Ridge (AGM) manual hubs, which took about 6 minutes a side to convert, and all is well. Cost was about 150$. 1 new hub is about 250$...
  10. 3

98 SOHC Chain Noise?

It does have 150,000 miles.
  11. 3

Another transmission within 4 months

What was replaced with the rebuild? Something is being missed!!!!!!! A rebuild should CERTAINLY last longer than 4 months.
  12. 3

"NO LINK" when using OBD-II Scanner

Can he do a KOEO check? Key On Engine Off? I used to do that with my '88 Ranger. On, off, on, off, on, off, on and the check engine light would flash the codes.
  13. 3

Throbbing in Rear

"Throbbing in the rear" is never a good thing, pardon the pun. What is a throbbing sound? Like a pulsating? Are your tires wearing correctly?
  14. 3

'99X Sport 4x4 OHV, clunking/slipping at 30-40MPH

Matt, is it doing it as the transmission is shifting, or while you are driving? Have you checked your fluid? When was the last fluid/filter change? To me, clunking is entirely different than slipping.
  15. 3

Having to manually shift or it takes 6k rpm to shift to next gear?

Um, don't want to sound like an @ss, but Ford is certainly not the only company that does the "no-dipstick-sealed-transmission" thing. A friend of mine has a Grand Prix with the same deal.
  16. 3

4WD High and 4WD Low flashing

This happened to me once, disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, reconnected, and all was OK!
  17. 3

98 ranger xlt 4x4 not working any ideas??

Buck...make SURE the transfer case is engaging...when it isn't engaged you can turn your front driveshaft by hand...when it is engaged you can't(the front driveshaft is locked). If this turns out to be OK, it is your hubs, or a vacuum leak somewhere else. 1 hub is around 2-250$. I said screw...
  18. 3

5R55E rebuild...Bad TCC?

Hey guys...I've posted this before with no solution. '99 Ranger, 4.0, 5R55E trans. Rebuilt 13,000 miles ago. Shifts great. In the past 2 months: When going downhill, usually 65-70MPH, transmission occasionally comes out of OD...RPM's raise 3-400 RPM's for 1-2 seconds, then locks back up in...
  19. 3

Ford Range 4.0 1997 Misfire Help

Yeah...listen to Tbars too. He's given me tons of good advice and I probably owe him $$ by now.
  20. 3

need some 5r55e help.

87,000 miles on transmission #2???!!! No way!!! Someone is missing something with the rebuild, somehow, some way. My brother has 150,000 on the original 5R55E now and my dad has a hundred and something on his. Mine went out at like 95,000 but the previous owner towed beyond its capacity so I...
  21. 3

2002 Explorer is stuck in 4x4 low.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?
  22. 3

Ford Range 4.0 1997 Misfire Help

Hmm...I once had this problem and it was a bad brake booster...it was basically a vacuum leak causing a rough idle. I guess it held enough vacuum idling or even driving but applying brake pressure caused the booster to leak enough vacuum causing a bad idle. Just a thought. Oh, it was on a '93...
  23. 3

Saginaw power steering pump installed! NO more whine!

So I finally got around to it. Pump is from a '78 F250, Cardone heavy duty option part number 20-6244, replacing the whiney pump on my '99 4.0 Ranger. I FINALLY HAVE QUIET POWER STEERING!!! Well, it's not TOTALLY, 100% quiet like some have claimed with this swap but I'd say 80% quieter than...
  24. 3

94 Ranger Heat Indicator Wandering

My 4.0 did this once. Turned out to be a 20$ coolant temp sensor. Takes 5 minutes to change.
  25. 3

Help.. : - ( Please...

Boscoe, if the transmission is "out of range" that would typically point to the TRS sensor...Transmission range selector switch...it basically tells the tranny what gear it is in. When mine wasn't replaced correctly (it has to be aligned properly in the case) my transmission did all sorts of...
Back