Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

What is the safe load?

thanks, I do not want to destroy the clutch, it is only one year old
  2. P

What is the safe load?

Hi, I have been carrying gravel for a project and I have limited the load in the bed to 500lbs. Where could I find the spec for a 97 V6 3l, 5 speed manual and the weight it can carry? Thanks
  3. P

Front wheel bearing getting loose

Useful answers, thanks. The next mystery is the vibration I get when I engage the manual hubs. As soon as I engage them, the sterring wheel moves amost 1/8 of a turn and it wobbles like crazy. Thanks again for the useful info Patarch1
  4. P

Hi, The two nuts are there, the washer is there but there is no nub that locks into a hole in the washer. The truck came back from the garage and after 500 miles I noticed the play in the wheel. I do not know how much they torque'd the nut to. I guess I am going to have a torque wrench and...
  5. P

Hello, On my 97 ranger, the front driver wheel bearing keeps getting loose. I check both sides each time I notice the play and it is always the same side. The hubs are manual. Should there be a locking pin or device that keeps the nuts from getting loose? Thanks Patarch1
  6. P

documentation on drive train

Hi, I would like to understnad what's between the transfer case and the wheels to understand why when I lock the front wheels, they "whobble" and the truck feels like a noat in rough seas Patarch1
  7. P

documentation on drive train

Hi, I am looking for a detailed or exploded view of the front drive train of a 97 ranger 4*4. I have a Haynes manual but it is not very clear. Thnks in advance Patarch1
  8. P

4wd issue after ball joint replacement

hi, I had the lower and uppor ball joints replaced on my 97 ranger 4wd. After a couple weeks I locked the hubs and tried engaging the transfer case (manual). Going straight, the truck feels like it wheels are off center and it shakes a lot. What could have the mechanic forgotten or...
  9. P

Possibly the battery

found the issue, bad ground, the (-) connector was all corroded.. Thanks for all the tips, they are not lost
  10. P

Possibly the battery

I was clamped on the connectors, not the cables. After 3 hours of fast charge (10A) with the battery charger, the charger needle has not moved from the 2A mark on the charger display. I am going to try a brand new battery tonight. We shall see.
  11. P

Possibly the battery

I forgot to mention taht we tried to jump start the truck yesterday and nothing happened, not even a light on the dash
  12. P

Possibly the battery

thanks
  13. P

Possibly the battery

Hi, After stopping for 10 minutes, I tried to start my 97 ranger 3l V6 and the starter barely moved (one clonck). After that, no light on the dash when I turn the key. I wait for five minutes, I get the dash lights but no starter motor movement. I suspect the battery to be the culprit but it...
  14. P

Heater valve is it correct?

hi, that was a long saga but I will make it short: The first time I replaced this valve, it leaked after 6 months, from the same area. The part was purchased at Napa and replaced by an independent shop. The second time was harder to diagnose as I could not see the leak but the truck smelled...
  15. P

Rotor replacement job material list

thanks, I took a look yesterday and I have a few more questions: I have manual hubs for the 4wd and there seems to be a seal between the hub lock assembly and the outer surface of the rotor. This seal was so damaged that it is hard to describe (and it is on the floor, broken in three pieces)...
  16. P

The rotors I am looking at do not have the races pressed in. By the way, there is only one set of bearing per wheel, correct?
  17. P

thks, I also assume I have to press the new wheel bearings in the rotor
  18. P

Hello, I am about to organize myself for a front rotor job on my 97 ranger. The rotors are 70k miles, they need to be replaced as well as the pads My question is: What parts should I get to do that job? I am thinking: rotors, wheel bearings what else should I plan on getting. As always...
  19. P

Truck pulls to the right when hubs locked

Hi. It was our first snow day yesterday in Southern CT. I locked the hubs and tried the 4wd hi. Everything worked fine except that the truck pulls to the right and I need to compensate quite a bit to keep the truck going straight whether the 4wd is engaged or not. As soon as I unlock the hubs...
  20. P

windshield replacement

Whole job=remove old windshield and install a new one. Thanks for the thread link. It looks pretty scary Patarch1
  21. P

windshield replacement

Hi, I have been looking at my crcked windshield for a while and i think it is time to get it replaced. I am looking at places that do the whole job. Do you have any advice on this? Thanks Patarch1
  22. P

Rusted Blower motor connector melted down

Hi, After reading the useful threads about changing the resistor of the blower motor on my 97 ranger I decided to fix the issue where the blower only runs on high. The connector would not come out, I figured I would take the resistor out of the blower motor frame with the connector and then...
  23. P

Online place to buy genuine Ford parts

Hi, thanks for the numerous answers I was looking for a heater valve (replaced it with a nappa one and it lasted only 6 months) and a resistor set for the blower motor. Patarch1
  24. P

Online place to buy genuine Ford parts

Hi, Do you know what the best place is to get Ford parts? If you have any intersting experience with this way of buying parts, please explain. Thanks patarch1
  25. P

Extra headlights on a 97 ranger - what type?

Hi, Actually, I have nothing in those holes right now. Thanks for the info, I thought it was for high beams at first but it seems very low for high beams, fog lights seem better suited.
Back