Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Runs rough or stalls when started warm, otherwise OK

Hard warm starts like that are a classic symptom of a fuel pressure regulator diaphragm leaking. There's a vacuum line attached to the FPR that is part of regulating fuel pressure. When the diaphragm leaks, it leaks excess fuel into the intake through this fuel line -- effectively flooding the...
  2. M

manual trans will drive in 4 low

Hard to say from such little information. I recall years ago that my brother's Toyota did something similar when the clutch was nearly worn out. In high range (either 2H or 4H), the clutch would slip so bad that it was nearly undriveable in high. The clutch didn't slip in low, but, obviously...
  3. M

Coasty: I don't have the Little Passenger Seat anymore. We liked it while we had it. Good luck...

Coasty: I don't have the Little Passenger Seat anymore. We liked it while we had it. Good luck finding one or something similar. MrShorty
  4. M

from bat out of hell to nothing 94

That sounds right. The pump ground came up through another connector with some other wires that also went towards the back. I also remember that, when I had the ground disconnected cleaning it or something, that it did some funky things with the wipers, though I don't remember details.
  5. M

If I remember right, the fuel pump grounded to the body under the hood behind the coolant overflow/windshield washer fluid reservoir.
  6. M

Sounds to me like it is time to beg, borrow, buy, steel a fuel pressure gauge. It sounds like something is wrong in the fuel system, and it is time to systematically diagnose it. I will note that this "off/on" power thing sounds similar to symptoms I had when I got a bad "new" fuel pump and...
  7. M

93 explorer won't start not getting fuel. Need advice please!

According to my list, KOEO 513 indicates an internal failure in the PCM, with very little other diagnostic information. I might search out more detail, but my first impression is that this code would suggest that you need a new PCM, which is where I would probably start in this case. With a new...
  8. M

Died will not start back up

That sure sounds like something in the main power supply circuits or power distribution has died. Have you checked all of the main fuses in the power distribution box under the hood? Checked the battery cables? Do you have a wiring diagram and a voltmeter so that you can start poking around...
  9. M

Catlytic converter problems, need help!!

There's not much to go on, but, if I made this observation, one of the first things I would look at is the idle air control (IAC) valve. Make sure it and the other air passages in the upper intake are clean and clear.
  10. M

92 Explorer no start.

The last bad fuel pump I had on my Explorer, the pump ran, and it had some pressure, but the gauge showed that the pump was only generating 15-20 psi of pressure. The engine seems to need at least 20-25 psi to really run. I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the engine is really...
  11. M

Fuel pressure issues and engine stall

I am not aware of any connection between any of the temperature sensors and the fuel pump being turned on. The only sensor I am aware of that the PCM uses to turn the pump on is the CKP/profile ignition pickup (PIP). If the computer sees that the engine is rotating, then it will turn the pump...
  12. M

Fuel pressure issues and engine stall

If you can get a suitable tool/clamp/vice grips that won't cut the tubing, the next test I would perform would be to clamp off the return line (from the FPR back to the fuel tank). If the pressure still remain low, that will indicate that the fault is the fuel pump being unable to generate...
  13. M

KOEO test

KOEO 335 points to a problem with the EGR's DPFE sensor -- which seems to be a fairly common problem. I would quickly inspect the wiring to the DPFE, the replace the DPFE is there is no other obvious problems.
  14. M

Sometimes will start, sometimes won't.

I had similar symptoms when one of my fuel pumps was going out (this particular pump did not like the heat, so it was always on hot days when it would do this). The pump would run, but it was not generating enough pressure. When the pump cooled off, it would generate enough pressure and the...
  15. M

Warm engine shudders and runs rough at startup.

It just needs to be long enough so that, if there is gasoline leaking into the intake through the vacuum line, there will be enough in that hose for you to see.
  16. M

Warm engine shudders and runs rough at startup.

Now that you have already ordered the ECT, I will mention the other common cause of rough warm starts that I see: a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator. One failure mode of the FPR is to develop a leak in the diaphragm. When this leaks, fuel leaks into the intake through the vacuum line of the FPR...
  17. M

Stump the chump, round two. Rough start...

Any way you can. There was a time when I was diagnosing an intermittent problem that I hooked my pressure gauge up, made certain it didn't leak and that it would rest under the hood without touching anything and drove. When it would act up, the pressure gauge was already attached and ready to...
  18. M

Stump the chump, round two. Rough start...

Most likely the fuel pump, though that is in the fuel tank. Are you absolutely certain the sound is coming from under the hood? If it is, is it coming from the fuel system? Rough hot starts are frequently from a failed FPR. The diaphragm develops a lead, allowing the gas to leak into the intake...
  19. M

Stump the Chump Question. Stalling after hot, driving me crazy.

My explorer had a fuel pump that would shut down when hot. I would be tempted to carry a fuel pressure gauge around. Then, when it stalls and won't start, hook up the gauge and see if the fuel pressure is where it should be. Diagnose further from there.
  20. M

What does code 57 AXOD Curcuit Failure mean?

Unless something unusual is going on, a '93 should be outputting 3 digit codes, not 2 digit codes. Are you certain it is not a 157?
  21. M

What makes it stall out?

I had similar symptoms with my '92 (worse in hot weather). It turned out that my almost new fuel pump was not up to par and would overheat and shut down. Diagnosis was made by attaching a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and checking the fuel pressure. When it started and ran, the pressure...
  22. M

Help with CEL codes

3 of the 4 are for the left/front O2 sensor. I know it is not helpful, but, yes, it could be that your O2 sensor needs replacing or something else. "By the book" one would explore further before replacing anything. It seems that many will replace the O2 sensor, clear the code, and see if the...
  23. M

Starting issues

If it has fuel but no spark, then I would check the coil and ICM. Make sure the coil has power and ground, make sure the ICM has power and ground.
  24. M

No overdrive

If the solenoid is working, then the fault must be mechanical or hydraulic. It seems that one of the common 4th gear failures that I see mentioned is the 4th gear planetary dies somehow. From...
  25. M

Starting issues

Air fuel spark compression are the four things usually needed to start. Diagnosing a no start is usually about determining which of those four is not present. Compression and air are usually automatic (especially when the start is intermittent), so we usually focus on spark and fuel. I would...
Back